PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:51 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Luke Skywalker, Jedi 29 pts.
Han Solo, Smuggler 27 pts.
Bothan Noble x2 34 pts.
General Dodonna 9 pts.

99 pts. total, 5 activations.

Squad notes: Attack with Luke, who can hold his own against enemy beats for a little while. Use the nobles to heal and grant Han additional attacks so he shoots for 14 attack, 40 damage 3 times. Dodanna allows for slower activations to use oppertunist, or allows Luke to attack more with the nobles. While the squad is a little low on HP, it makes up for in attacks and damage.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject: Re: Smuggler Intercept
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:50 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Can be nice, only problem is lack of scrub activations.. you'll be activating Dod first.. then Luke.. then a Bothan.. then finaly Han+Bothan. I don't think a good player will ever let you get 3 shots off of Han.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:45 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

You could always sub out a bothan for something else, and the other bothan for Princess Leia. Perhaps something like this:
Luke, Jedi (29)
Han Smuggler (27) 56
Princess Leia (20) 76
Dodonna (9) 85
2x Ugo (6) 91

Last 9 could be either Wicket or R2-D2 Wicket would help out your attacks, especially with Luke's Low attack value, and R2 could seal some friendly doors after Han picks off some ugs.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:25 pm 
General
General

I think 3 Uggs will do you better than Dodonna.

{11111111011][7777777777777777777777777777777
<(HHHHHQXX)=(77777777777777777777777777777777

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:00 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I agree with Partof1 actually.

At 100 points, the 3 Ugos will get you almost as much benefit as Dodonna will.

The original squad had only 5 activations, so 5 phases. If you go with Luke_Skywalker's idea, and use All Ugos for the remainder of the team, that would 11 activations. That's 6 phases!

Now, 8 Ugos is probably a bit much, but you get the idea. Plus, having more Ugs means you have at least some door control (which the squad in the OP had none of), and you can use the Ugs to block your opponents movement and to help take out opponent's scrubs.

The real trick I would see with this squad's survival would be high-powered shooting squads. Something like Cade Skywalker, or Boba BH. Sure, Luke has Deflect, but his real strength is in Djem So, and if your opponent doesn't have much Melee, then you're pretty much out of luck.

I like the general concept though. Han can dump out 90 damage (w/ Leia) or 120 damage (w/ 2 Bothans), and Luke can do another 20-40. That's enough to kill most pieces pretty easily. Han's Accurate allows him to stay a good distance behind Luke so that he'll be safe for a round or so even after Luke dies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:01 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

The magic number of Ugo's for dodonna Viability in 100 is 3 I believe. I see few squads in 100 with more than 6 activations, If you have 3 ugo's You can out activate without ever touching a piece of your squad that matters. In my build with Dodonna and 5 total Ugo's You have 6 phases before you even have to move Luke Han or leia. The entire other Squad has gone by this point.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:16 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
You could always sub out a bothan for something else, and the other bothan for Princess Leia. Perhaps something like this:
Luke, Jedi (29)
Han Smuggler (27) 56
Princess Leia (20) 76
Dodonna (9) 85
2x Ugo (6) 91

Last 9 could be either Wicket or R2-D2 Wicket would help out your attacks, especially with Luke's Low attack value, and R2 could seal some friendly doors after Han picks off some ugs.

I think this variation looks pretty good. :saber:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:13 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

SirStevee wrote:
Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Luke, Jedi (29)
Han Smuggler (27) 56
Princess Leia (20) 76
Dodonna (9) 85
2x Ugo (6) 91

I think this variation looks pretty good. :saber:

I tend to agree. But I am not the last word on these things.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Luke, Jedi (29)
Han Smuggler (27) 56
Princess Leia (20) 76
Dodonna (9) 85
2x Ugo (6) 91

I ended up playing this on Thursday, using Wicket for the final points. I think R2-D2 might've been the better choice, but it's hard to say for sure. I won one game only because of Wicket, but that was because I was rolling like crap (scored hits on a 3, 4, or 5). Overall though, it did very well. Beat a Durge/IG-86 squad, a Clone squad with Rex and Gree, and a Vong squad. Strangely enough, the Vong squad was the toughest to beat as I kept failing my Thud Bug saves, and Luke basically had to sacrifice himself to the Nom Bombs in order to clear them out. I still went 3-0 though, so I was definitely impressed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:27 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

It's definitely a finesse squad. You do not have a ton of HP so you have to use what you have sparingly. It seems like a lighter hitting version of other squads. The big deal is that you get to use a few mid 20 cost figs instead of mid 40 cost figs like you would for 150 pt range games.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:38 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I'm glad to see this build worked well for you. I will also test this squad out one of these comming days.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:15 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

The variation I've been playing with does not use an interference piece at all:

27 Han, Smuggler
20 Princess Leia
17 Bothan Noble
11 Human Bodyguard
9 Dodonna
8 R2-D2
6 Ugnaught x2

Yes, it's mostly a typical Han cannon, but the combination of huge damage output plus the bodyguard ensures you don't really need an intercept. I've found that when you outactivate your opponent (which you almost always will here), with the possible 3 attacks each turn with Han (130 damage) you will outright kill any piece you'd have to intercept before it even makes it to you. Heck, you can even run up 12 with Han, and still get off 90 damage just following with Leia and the Bothan, so your opponent can't even really hide.

The human BG in this build is huge. Of course it helps with survivability (and against the Big-D) hopefully negating an opponent's entire attack. Then Han can counter with the triple opportunist. Even Bane has to be weary leaving himself open to that much damage. The Ugs are for door control and cover, and of course R2 is always invaluable in shooter squads of this type.

I've playtested this quite a bit and it does really well against most of the strong 100 point builds. So my not-so-short point is, with the damage output Han is cabable of, I'm not sure an interference piece is even needed in a Han Smuggler build, and you are better off with more tech to trick him out. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:38 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

You're opinion is valid, but here is my hangup. Han needs distance between himself and the target(s). Luke gives you a plan B if Han goes down. I like having the Luke in there to run interference. Take it as you will, by all means if you prefer the 130 damage Han without Interference, play it that way. I like having a luke in there.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:30 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like Luke in there too much to let him go. Djem So is a pretty nice against melee, and is a great intercept figure with djem so, deflect, and knight speed. He can also help to cover up Han's main weakness, which is the lack of evade/mobile attack. Besides, if the map you're playing isn't open, you will be very grateful that you decided to put in luke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:29 am 

Well, as much as I love being right, I love it even more when a well established assumption of mine is challenged and my mind is changed. In this case I'm happy to admit I stand corrected on this one: having Luke in there as an intercept is better than having a bodyguard and the extra attack via the bothan as many of you have suggested.

First I started playtesting both varations quite a bit and honestly, like all of you, became fond of having little Luke in there. Now I've always "liked" this Luke (I won him on my first league roll of gencon, the only 20 I rolled all weekend) but never thought he was good enough to hold his own depite having some sentimental value. But I discovered that while the Bodyguard will buy you maybe a turn of protection, little Luke really can hold his own for at least two turns if not more, while Han sits back and blasts away untouched. His ability to block and deflect is fantastic (as well as Djem-so) but it's that decieving 90 hp that really makes a difference.

So with my mind changed I brought the squad to my LGS and did very well (I actually dropped Dodonna and used R2 AND Wicket as I noticed everyone was playing low activations). It not only impressed me but everyone else as well. I tell you, it's a deceptively dangerous squad which is also what makes it work. None of the figures look particularily dangerous so people kind of throw themselves right at it. But it's one of those "the sum is greater than all it's parts" type squads and combined can really do a number on someone before they realize what it's capable of.

So yeah, there were times I wish I had the extra shot, or a bodyguard, but with the exception of the one time Luke folded like a lawn chair in a hurricane on the second turn (seriously, it was a horror show), I was happy he was in there. So once again, thank you guys for proving me wrong and I will happily admit this is truly a very decent squad which I'm sure my entire LGS will be playing a variation of come the next 100 point tourny. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:54 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I think there is nothing wrong with running a straight "Cannon" in 100, as you are unlikely to see a lot of real problem figures. But there are a couple that are somewhat common, where I bet you wish you had a Luke.

1. Kyle.
2. Evade, especially on figures with FPRRs and/or mettle.
3. Jar Jar
4. Gungan Shieldbearer
5. Reflect
6. Invisibility/Cloaked/Superstealth

So yes, if you play against an opponent who has to base you to attack at all, and can unload on him, you will likely win in 100. And if you play against an opponent who cannot do 110 dmg, or more likely 120 accurate dmg (Leia, Bothan, BG) in a single round, and its an open map, and they have no way to activate Han, you will likely win.

Hence why I would prefer the interference version over the straight cannon. Sure, you have a lower chance of winning against squads you could otherwise completely dominate. So say 99% chance to win, down to 85%. But against some of the relatively common counters, you would go from say 30% chance to win up to 60%. Or something like that.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:40 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I completly agree. ^^^^