logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: GMA and Disrupt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:59 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This came up in my GVL game with Joruus. Thought I would get the consensus:

ISP is in squad with Captain Rex. Deena Shan is within 6 squares of ISP. ISP attacks, killing Deena on the Double Attack. Can the ISP then move?

The argument was that since the ISP was being Disrupted during the attacks, and made its Double Attack, it didn't have GMA so it couldn't move.

But since Deena was defeated, the ISP then was no longer being Disrupted, it gained GMA again, so it could move after making its double attack.

We ruled it could move. Was that right?

Edit: Apparently we ruled correctly, due to the CE taking effect after Deena was defeated.

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

Post subject: Re: GMA and Disrupt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no "official" ruling for this condition. If a judge had to rule it in a tourney I believe they would declare your action correct. I believe NickName will possibly make an official ruling on this for future reference. The issue is that the character doesn't have the ability all the time. The rules are pretty open as far as letting you see effects happen before you decide what you want to do next.

The below is merely my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

Maybe it's the magic player coming out of me, but I liken it to declaring an attack then resolve all effects and then you can choose to declare a null attack if you wish. What I mean is I think the rules should be clarified so that if you wish to use mobile or greater mobile you have to choose so before any attack is made and at the end of the attack (or attacks) you could decided to not move or move, but if you didn't declare at the beginning ( or in this case have it legal to use ) then you wouldn't be able to use it. OTOH, this could cause precedent for making more rulings interpretations more painful, so maybe open is better. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:42 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don't mean to make interpretations more painful. We just had this situation come up, and I wanted to know what the correct interpretation is. There were a few people in the room at the time, and I believe the consensus was that it could move. I looked up Greater Mobile in the rulebook and thought it could be used after attacking.

But the counter argument is, when the ISP made its Double attack, it didn't have GMA at that time, therefore it had given up its movement for an extra attack. Is it then allowed to move after attacking?

I'll look more into the archives and see what I can find, if there is a similar situation.

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hothie wrote:
But the counter argument is, when the ISP made its Double attack, it didn't have GMA at that time, therefore it had given up its movement for an extra attack. Is it then allowed to move after attacking?

I am sorry if I wasn't more clear earlier, but that is the question at hand. There is no precedent for this because the rules apply to pieces that ALWAYS have GMA. This is special cause the piece is getting the ability from a CE. Here is what NickName has chimed in so far and he is clearly stating that if he had to rule he would allow the movement, but there is no official answer at this moment.

NickName wrote:
I would lean toward that interpretation, that the check happens at the time you want to move and if you've got the ability at that point you could use it.

But the counter argument is rather strong. When taking the Double, you did not have GMA, and thus to make the second attack you must have already given up your movement for the turn and there's no getting it back.

I get to have some fun in ambiguous cases and do what I think is best/right, but in cases where there's a precedent that pretty well applies I just adapt it. There's no precedent like that in the game. It's fairly openended as to allowing you to see the results of A before deciding to do B. And then we've "patched" whatever didn't work right like Strafe or BB/Furious.

I'm not really sure the precedent for picking up Mobile Attack midway is what I would have recommended when the issue first game up, but since that's what was decided by the powers that been I just work from there for similar applications.