logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Force Defense use
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:08 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I was just reading a post from Lobo and noticed that he used force defense to cancel a reroll. In my area we always thought you couldn;t cancel rerolls or spending for speed because the rules made it sound like they weren;t force powers.

Force powers: These are special attacks, moves, or abilities. When using a Force power, subtract its cost in Force points from the character's total. A Force power cannot be used if the character doesn't have enough Force points.

That didn't seem to help much. doesn;t specify as to whether spending for 2 movement and rerolling counts as a force power.

Force points: Certain characters can manipulate the Force to create special effects. These characters have a Force rating, a number of points that they can spend to use Force powers (see below), to reroll any die roll (even a natural 1 on an attack), or to move 2 extra squares as part of a move. Once a Force point is spent, the character can't spend it again during the skirmish.
A character can spend Force points only once per turn. Sometimes, though, a character can spend Force points on other character's turns, such as to reroll a failed save. In this case, a character can end up spending Force points more than once per round.

The part in bold was they key to making our call that spending for speed or rerolling were not considered force powers because force powers were lsited differently in the description.

So the basic question is...can you force absorb or force cancel the choice to spend a force poit to reroll an attack or spend for 2 extra movement? I have always thought the rule could go either way but i am guessing lobo knows his stang, but I wanted to make sure before updated my LGS that we have been doing it wrong.

Post subject: Re: Force Defense use
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:38 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Look at the Glossary defiintion of Force Defense, it specifically says you can use it to "cancel" FPRR and Movement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:01 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

What glossary are you refering to? The 07 starter doesn't say that and the archives says:

Force Defense: (Force; 3 Force points) A character using this Force power cancels the effects of a Force power used by a character within 6 squares. You must decide whether to use Force Defense immediately after the other Force power is declared but before it takes effect. That Force power is still considered to have been used that turn, and the affected character still spends the Force points.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:04 pm 

I'm looking at the one in the Star Wars MiniManager. It says the same thing by Force Absorb, so maybe it was added in after the fact, don't know ::shrugs:: Either way, you can use Force Absorb/Defense to cancel the "extra" powers...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:16 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I wasn't questionally you, I am just never used starwars minimanager and i want to find something that makes for an easy reference to show the guy who runs the events and the other players without downloading a program.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fool wrote:
Omnus wrote:
I wasn't questionally you, I am just never used starwars minimanager and i want to find something that makes for an easy reference to show the guy who runs the events and the other players without downloading a program.

Archives of the gamers Jedi....

viewtopic.php?p=38482#p38482

LOL Fool. He already looked at AND quoted the Archives entry in the earlier post. His point was that are archives are.....incomplete. :P

If you look the WOTC site, there is a full listing of FAQs and such under the rules area. It should be in there somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:09 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Okay, at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sw ... rticle/faq

under the faq for force powers I found this:

Force Absorb and Force Defense

Q: Force Absorb and Force Defense can cancel Force powers used by other characters. Does spending a Force point to reroll or move faster count as using a Force power for this purpose? For example, if an enemy wants to spend a Force point to reroll an attack while within 6 squares of Yoda, can Yoda use Force Defense to prevent the reroll?

A: Yes. Rerolling and moving faster are Force powers that any character with a Force rating can use. They can be canceled by Force Absorb and Force Defense.

Thanks for your help guys. I just want to make sure we are doing right...its hard to know for sure some times.