logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Holocron Maps
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:03 pm 
General
General

Has anyone tested out the great maps on The Holocron or CPreksta's site? I'm curious if any of you, given the power, would make of these maps tournament legal for 200pts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:37 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

The only maps I've looked at on Holocron is the listing Nickname put up a while ago.

You have a link to the custom ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Absolutely. I've played on Cpreska Jabba's Palace and the Echo Base. The Jabba's palace one might be tough to make DCI legal, but mostly because of the odd gambit area, but it could be done still. the Echo base is an AWESOME map. Not rigid huge friendly, but it's a great map for 100/150 then. Umm....others....the Yavin 4 Sanctuary (by Armoredgear7) is a superb map. Huge friendly, well balanced for either melee or ranged really. It's one of my absolute favorites (as well as many other people at my two LGS).

Some of Armoredgear's other maps are good as well (Coruscant Jedi Temple and Geonosis Sith Arena I've played on), but it's been a while since I played on those and I can't really remember what I thought of them as far as DCI goes. The Jedi temple one is kind of cool since the entire gambit zone is out in the open, but it has relatively nice areas for starting your pieces where you can't get shot first round. The Geonosis Hangar is pretty cool, and has some REALLY weird firing lanes. Can't remember how gambit seemed on that one, but I've enjoyed playing that map. It's a decent melee map for sure, since it's a lot of close quarters along the 'top' (according to the orientation on Holocron) side.

Eli's Dagobah and Kashyyyk maps are kind of interesting for mass battle games. But shooters rule those maps almost exclusively.

All of Lingster's maps are pretty cool. The Sandcrawler makes for some hilarious (and very fast) melee battles, though it's a fairly one-sided map (one side only has access to gambit by entering the sides of the sandcrawler). The Kubindi Silver Forest of Dreams I haven't played on, but I remember checking it out when he first made it and thinking it looked like a nice map to play on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:19 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I've played on every AG7 map. They're all good, though some I don't think would make great tourney maps.

Yavin Sanctuary is great for all point levels. This map is one I would point to as being a great addition at 200.

Smuggler's Base is great for 100 and 150, but the 2 wide door leading into gambit is a minor concern for Rigid huges.

I've also played on some CPreksta maps including Skirmish Death Star, Tatooine Alleys, both versions of Jabba's Palace, and both versions of Hoth. I don't recall any of them being particularly huge friendly but some are probably fine for other point levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:26 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Can these maps be used on Vassal? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:39 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I don't know if all of them can be, but there are a lot of the custom maps available on Vassal.