logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Why such limited content in the Saga book?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:45 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I find the Saga book fun, however, there is a real lack of content in the main book.

Virtually no monsters, no starships, virtually no races added, limited equipment and the force powers are just broken.

I'm actually surprised it got put out as is, but I am enjoying it because as a GM I have the latitude to change some of the stuff they put in.

Also, the conversion guide has not really helped me create campaigns at all.

The only thing to really convert is HP and that's a simple enough formula.

I'm basically just taking stuff from the other RPG books put out before Saga and making decent stats for them based off of what we see in the game.

Your thoughts on converting things not found in Saga?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I really haven't done very much conversion, so I can't speak to that. I tend to rely on the generosities of the WotC SW RPG posters to do all the work for me and then toss it up in a thread so I can use it. :)

Regarding the lack of content, I have spoken to Gary Sarli and Rodney Thompson both about this issue. Apparently, WotC's focus on the book was so much about having it as a testing ground for D&D 4th Edition that there was little time to do much of anything else in terms of fleshing out material.

The other issue is that WotC/LFL decided to maximize profits by holding certain stuff back (such as an adequate list of starships) and then releasing that info in new books.

I don't agree with any of these decisions because I think they lessen the overall experience, but I am a good enough GM that I can wing it without it (and having my fellow gamers' notes to steal from helps, too).

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:52 am 

That's the only way that I've been able to make the experience really decent for my players.

Not excited about receiving less content because D&D wanted its kid brother to go first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:57 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Well I've only run a single adventure with Saga, and I've got to say that I'm not impressed. This surprised me, becasue after reading the Saga Rulebook I was so up for running a game. But then it was a bit of a letdown, even though my players enjoyed the actual adventure.

Plus's
Nicely laid out. Pretty clear and presentable book.
Force Powers. I generally liked this approach.
Talent's. I so love this idea.
Character classes seemed better than RCRB, not sure why, they just did.
Starship combat. Improvement, but still needs tweaking.

Negative's
It's a pure D20 combat. I know D20 is a combat system, but please... this is OTT. All but about two Feats are combat focused.
Condensed skills. Means less for the Soldier to worry about and less for the previously skill focused classes to invest in.
Saves. Just don't like how it's handled.

I'm now looking at merging the RCRB and Saga for the continuation of my campaign. Not sure how to handle the Classes yet, but I'm certainly going to import Talents and the Force system.

I know Rodney's name is on the book, but whe you look at Stargate SG-1 and the Hero's Guide (two of the best RPG books I've read) you can tell that WOTC were pulling the strings with Saga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:08 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OTT?

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:01 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Over The Top. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:40 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Personally, I think Saga is a great start... but will require a LOT of supplements before it will fully flesh out. Once it is there, I think we'll be in good hands... given how much I despise D20 normally, this is the first "d20" system game that I actually have hopes for :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:51 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Wow this forum is dead :?

Grambo wrote:
Personally, I think Saga is a great start... but will require a LOT of supplements before it will fully flesh out. Once it is there, I think we'll be in good hands... given how much I despise D20 normally, this is the first "d20" system game that I actually have hopes for :)

Anyway, I think someone was listening (or reading). I was put off by the Core book. But with the KOTOR and TFU sourcebooks I'm now really interested in Saga and so want to play. The latest sourcebooks are just crammed full of USEFUL info. I can certainly say that I'm now sold on Saga. :)

Post subject: Re: Why such limited content in the Saga book?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

That's awesome news.

I have heard nothing but great things about TFU; can't wait to get mine.

Mostly what I've read is that it is THE supplement to the core rulebook.

Post subject: Re: Why such limited content in the Saga book?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:24 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
That's awesome news.

I have heard nothing but great things about TFU; can't wait to get mine.

Mostly what I've read is that it is THE supplement to the core rulebook.

Was skimming through it a bit last night. First thing that caught my eye was the myriad of new species, some of which are quite odd and unexpected, so that's really cool. Assuming this was originally intended to go on sale almost a year ago, that would have made a lot more sense in terms of what was included in the Core book.

I still haven't had a chance to pick up the KOTOR book, which is also AWESOME, especially if you're playing a Jedi character. So, I'm looking forward to snagging both of those soon here.