logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Kouhun Infestation
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:09 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This situation came up today:

Player 1 wants to do KI on a covered, living character. There are droid enemies closer. Can the player still use KI on the living character, since droids cannot be targeted by KI?

Or can the player not use KI due to it following targeting rules, since there are droids in the way, no KI this turn?

I posted this on wotc, but since it's down, i haven't been able to find out if anyone posted an answer.
Thanks.

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

Post subject: Re: Kouhun Infestation
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:19 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Well, normal targetting rules still apply to KI but the way I see it, Non-Living characters do not count as normal targets (since KI only works on Living characters). Its probably like with Super Stealth squads where if you have 2 characters within 6 squares but 1 is SS in cover and the other is behind the SS character (without Stealth, obviously) so that character is now considered the only legal target. So I'd say in your scenario, the Living character (that isn't the closest enemy) would be considered the only legal target...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:08 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

jedispyder wrote:
Well, normal targetting rules still apply to KI but the way I see it, Non-Living characters do not count as normal targets

Your forgetting that fact that targting rules do NOT take into account living/non living, Just closest, cover etc.

The fact of life is KI still uses the basic targeting rules (as stated in it's text). So the closest target with cover is still the only Legal target. Only LOS is ignored, but you still must count range.

In the situation given, the Droid would be the only legal target (even if the ability would have no effect) as it is the closest enemy. So technically in that exact state, you could NOT use KI as there is no living legal target in range, as KI requires a living target.

It's done that way so the other player has a chance to mess up you using it. By leading with a droid or something nonliving, it forces you to have to move your AZN into the right place to make your target the nearest target.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The ability being modified by not having to have LOS does not change normal targeting rules. This may be a little clearer when interpreting the below from the Official FAQ under Kouhun Infestation.

Official FAQ wrote:

Q: If Kouhun Infestation is used against a target not in line of sight, how would that work with the cover and adjacent enemy requirements for targeting enemies?

A: First, if Zam Wesell has an adjacent enemy, she would not be able to use Kouhun Infestation against any nonadjacent target. (This is exactly the same as any other attack or special ability.) Second, a target not in line of sight would automatically be considered to have cover – obviously, it would be impossible to draw an unobstructed line to all parts of the target's space. Thus, Kouhun Infestation can't be used against a target not in line of sight unless that target is also the nearest enemy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:45 pm 

I know targetting rules still applied, I just figured since in specifically says that only Living characters then non-living characters would "disappear" as targets. Guess not...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:26 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I will say the precedent would be this situation:

Quote:
Y.Vong character targets some Rebel character with Thud Bug. R2-P0 is a legal target as well. R2-P0 declares Draw Fire. The save roll is missed. The Thud Bug smacks the droid, who cannot be affected by Thud Bug. Thud Bug is lost.

So, therefore, the droid is the legal target, and is not able to be affected by Kouhun, so it can't be used.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:02 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This is how I ruled it, to where KI could not be used due to following targeting rules, but there were a few who thought the living character could be targeted.

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm