logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Working on a Gungan/Yoda/Viper squad (200 points)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:37 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I don't have the full squad done, just the bare bones brainstorming idea from after I made my random rare picks to build around.

Basic idea is to have Jar Jar out front to redirect any attacks to the Viper Droid. CS Yoda will let Jar Jar reroll a failed Bombad save so with two rolls each time he'll basicly have a 75% chance of making the save. The grunts of the squad will be Gungan Artillerists and Shieldbearers plus an Ug tech or two to heal the Viper. Planning to have the Shieldbearers behind the Viper so opponants attacking the Viper will have to make multiple saves to avoid the damage bouncing back. Artillerests will stay behind the Shieldbears so they get shields too. Last addition is Tarpals so the artillerists can use Cesta 20 twice each round.

That's the starting point. Changes I'm considering are swapping the Viper for something with damage reduction. The Gungan's will still let it bounce attackls back, but the DR will keep it around longer vs non attack sources of damage. The other change I'm looking at is Yoda. If I don't face anything like missles or grenades than Jar Jar is the only one using his CE to reroll saves and I'd save a lot of points by dropping him. On the other hand if I face another Gungan squad or something with missles/grenades I might be glad I have Yoda in there. Though in that case I'd probably need Mas since it would be hard to keep Yoda withing 6 of everything instead of just near Jar Jar. Last part is I haven't even looked at the costs for the main pieces so for all I know after adding Yoda, a Viper, Tarpals, and Jar Jar I might not even have enough room for a decent number of non uniques.

Post subject: Re: Working on a Gungan/Yoda/Viper squad (200 points)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I think the idea is nice, but without Tarpals you only have like 30 points left for the rest of the squad and with Tarpals like 6 or 7. I also don't really like squads that rely on potential damgage. I think you need to have like 40-50 points free to bring in another big threat to go after the opponents (insert your replace attacks sight guy here). I think it would be very fun to play with all the shooter squads around, but really you only need to go against one guy with mobile missles and it could really hurt you. The other problem is that if you don't spend points for Mas then Yoda has to hang kinda close too and you don't really have the points to spend on Mas. This would be a squad I would play like once for fun just to give it a go and then retire it. If you are intending on playing it more than that then I just think you will realize that you may have to forgo the 46 points for the Viper and build around the concept of Yoda, JJB, and the Shielbearer. I would be curious to find out what you decided to do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:44 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The Viper + Gungan shieldbearer is a brutal combo, but using Jar Jar to redirect the attacks is no different than using a Rodian BSSV, and you can get that effect without needing Yoda either. You'll still be in trouble if you run into somebody with the Mobile Missiles, but in that case, you just have to let the Viper or some of your other pieces take point without the Shieldbearer adjacent to them.

Using Jar Jar and Yoda would certainly make things interesting and/or more frustrating for your opponent, but the effect is worth all the points invested in it, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:15 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

LoboStele wrote:
The Viper + Gungan shieldbearer is a brutal combo, but using Jar Jar to redirect the attacks is no different than using a Rodian BSSV, and you can get that effect without needing Yoda either. You'll still be in trouble if you run into somebody with the Mobile Missiles, but in that case, you just have to let the Viper or some of your other pieces take point without the Shieldbearer adjacent to them.

Using Jar Jar and Yoda would certainly make things interesting and/or more frustrating for your opponent, but the effect is worth all the points invested in it, IMO.

Maybe a Tarpals, RBSV, Ug-Boss (Droid Mark), and the Ug-Tech?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:40 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Boba52: How do you get only 6 or 7 points left?. With a starting point of Yoda/Viper/Tarpals/Jar Jar I'm at 139 points. That would be 61 points for non unique gungans.

Lobostele: The rodian is a decent idea and using him instead of Yoda/JJB would be a nice point savings. The only problem I have with dropping Yoda is fear of facing opposing missles/gungans. Double chances for all my saves would help a lot if that happens.

Markedman247: Using the Ug boss to help force attacks on the Viper could work, but if I use the rodian they're already in an attack the viper or nothing situation already.

---

I'll have to find some time tomorrow to at least come up with a full squad I can post in the 200 point squad forum and go from there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

homer_sapien wrote:
Boba52: How do you get only 6 or 7 points left?. With a starting point of Yoda/Viper/Tarpals/Jar Jar I'm at 139 points. That would be 61 points for non unique gungans.

Cause in your OP you were describing a squad like this-

55 Yoda
46 X-1
18 JJB
18 Shieldbearer
20 Tarpals
22 Artillerist x2
14 Uggie Tech x2
for 193 points :wink:

I just think at 200 their isn't enough offense here to deal with squads that aren't all shooter. Maybe your meta is different...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:09 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

homer_sapien wrote:
happens.

Markedman247: Using the Ug boss to help force attacks on the Viper could work, but if I use the rodian they're already in an attack the viper or nothing situation already.

Yeah, but the RBSV also has the use of bringing in reinforcements on an 11. With QVI, it might help a bit as well.

However, I might actually suggest your idea of the Telosian Tank Droid has merit. With Tarpals, you can bring in DDeliah (not a typo) to heal it twice (it is a mounted weapon) to keep it alive and then put a Gungan Shield beside it to reflect fire.

So, Telosian (38), Ug Boss (15) for Droid Mark, with DDeliah's IR (33) with Shieldbearer (18) and Tarpals. Total: 122/200.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:36 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Ah, I see the thinking with Yoda/JJB. Still though, unless you redirect the Missles/Grenades off of Jar Jar to someone with a decent amount of hit points, even the double save from Yoda won't help you last THAT long. I can't count the number of times I've failed two save 11's in a row, lol.

The use of Deliah isn't bad at all, but I would still go with the X-1 in most situations since it's only 8 points more, has the Molecular Shielding for the double Shields aspect, and also has Double Attack with 30 damage (as opposed to the TTD's 20 with Splash). Both certainly have advantages, but the Viper is still a bit beefier, and doesn't absolutely require the Gungan Shieldbearer to stay adjacent if the enemy has a mix of shooters and Misslers.

I think you'll have a tough time designing a squad like this to counter the ENTIRE meta, as it's so wide open at 200 points anyways. To me, it would have to be a local meta type of thing, and you should be able to decide in that sense whether it's better to use something like the Yoda/JJB combination or just the RBSV with more shooters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:30 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Homer, how bout something like this?

--Double the Pleasure--
46 X-1 Viper Droid
33 Deliah Blue
20 Captain Tarpals
18 Gungan Shieldbearer
16 Queen Amidala
55 Gungan Artillerist x5
7 Ugnaught Tech
5 Caamasi Noble
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 14 activations)

No one is ever going to shoot the X1 from range, they will try to base it. So if you go the RBSV route, you are wasting points. With this one, all your Arts get mobile double missles, and you have repair 80 a round with mobile. That way, nothing has to sit near your Viper, and you can spread out. The SB is really also expendable, and you could drop him for Jar Jar if you want.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Honestly though, what you'll end up having trouble with, is your opponent will base the X-1, and then you'll end up hitting the X-1 with all your missle attacks. Granted, you can repair a decent amount of the damage, but it still might be risky.

This would, however, be an awesome counter against those stupid Mando Scout squads.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:20 am 

LoboStele wrote:
Honestly though, what you'll end up having trouble with, is your opponent will base the X-1, and then you'll end up hitting the X-1 with all your missle attacks. Granted, you can repair a decent amount of the damage, but it still might be risky.

This would, however, be an awesome counter against those stupid Mando Scout squads.

Theoretically, by the time they get into base with the X1 (which they should view as the major threat), I really wouldn't worry about hitting it with your own missles. Let it be a meat shield as long as you can, then even if you kill it, you should have more than taken care of the figures in base before it actually goes down.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:27 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

If you saw the final build I was going to play last night I added Wicket to boost the Viper's chance to hit anything that got adjacant to it. Targets would be adjacant so no cover, plus traps would be lowering thier defense by 4 so effectivly the Viper would be shooting at a +12. Depending on how things were going I could stick to just having Wicket, Amidala, and the Viper shoot at anything adjacant to the Viper or risk using the Artillerists knowing Blue could take 60 damage back off the Viper.

EDIT: Bill responded while I was typing this so this is a response to the post before his.

EDIT2: this is the final build I ended up with.

--Double Shield Viper--
46 X-1 Viper Droid
33 Deliah Blue
20 Captain Tarpals
18 Gungan Shieldbearer
16 Queen Amidala
66 Gungan Artillerist x6
8 Wicket
(200pts. 12 activations)