logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Gencon 2008 Diary!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well day zero is over. Me and Jim and Dark Jedi left out this morning at 9 a.m. central and arrived in Indy 12:30 p.m. eastern time. Along the way we called Dean to make sure he was on his way okay, and he told me he and Ray were stopped for a farm tractor.

After we got here, the first thing we did was wander back to the minis area and check on the situation with KotoR. We are good to go. :D

After lunch, we had a run-in with convention security because of how the halls are set up today, but thanks to event staff member "Suzette" we were able to slip past the Imperial nets to get back into the minis area to help set up for tomorrow.

Then we went to dinner with Dean, Ray (they finally made it), Hothie and Lady Hothie, LoboStele, and several others. I'm sure I will see more of you tomorrow.

Well I am headed to bed, or rather, the couch for what I hope is a decent night's sleep before "day one." :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:43 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

My Day One was GREAT!

Arrived at the Hall approx. at noon, and started playing league.

Pulled Darth Scion and Wedge! but ended up using two sith assault droids as my 100pt team. Seemed to work great.

I loved the prize die, first roll was a 20, and picked up Panaka.

Spent the rest of the day wandering the halls, observing the 200pt constructed, and meeting my fellow forum members.

Can't wait for day two!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:39 pm 
Flim
Flim

I guess I will start out with my favorite GenCon expierence this year. I really had fun on Saturday night. We all went out to hooters and while the service ws bad and they were out of alot of food we had a good time with the company. Dean, Jake, Lou, Nate, Ben, Matt, Bill, Jason, Trevor, Johnny, Dennis, Jim and several others that I am sure I am forgetting all piled around 2 tables and we had a great time. I also had fun at the bar on Wednesday night (Ram brewery) and Friday night (Alcatraz and the old BWW). Mostly the friends were awesome and a better expeirence than the con itself. Oh and there will be some hooters pics to come.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:28 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Those square bases are riot for Han :)

That's Hothie right?

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:32 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Some of those I don't remember Nate taking. I'm glad he archived my "Gamers for Personal Hygiene" shirt, though.

It's one of my favorite shirts to wear at GenCon because it never fails to piss off a smelly person.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice pics. How about some quick captions so we know who we are looking at. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:01 pm 
Flim
Flim

Hey Dean, when you have some free time can you show Nate how to use the camera :D Glad he had such a good time, now we just need TinT to post his pics so I can get my new Avatar!!!

P.S. Jason K. is from Lansing but you can feel free to include him in the Olivet crew.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:43 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Rofl... I hearby dub Ray 'the ugnaught king' to be...

Cuddles.

Let's try to make it stick :P

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:44 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:14 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

:saber:

AS long as he kept the saber sheathed.....lol.

That was a great story.
(kids gather on floor) "Tell us another story"!

lol, too funny!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:19 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

"Those aren't pillows!!!!"

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:48 am 
General
General

I will keep mine very short: Never share a bed with Dr_Divot, that man can fart like there is no tomorrow. I would wake up at 3am to this HORRIBLE smell and the guy was just sleeping/laughing silently. Kelly, I WILL have my revenge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:46 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Anybody get any of the pics taken of the entire group that played in the masters event?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:08 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

jhc36 wrote:
Anybody get any of the pics taken of the entire group that played in the masters event?

Yeah, I am anxious to see the group photos as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:02 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Okay, when I get home from work today, I will see what I can do for those photos. Sheesh, impatient people.... :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well I am almost where I can give a full account. I took a second vacation last week and just got back last night.

Wednesday started off good. Me and Jason (Dark Jedi 21) and another friend met Jim and rode up to the convention with him (Why oh why did we leave so damn early Jim?? j/k).

The first night there we bunked in with Jim and his group, which included Dean and his kid, Ray, Jim and Jonathan, the three of us from KY, and sithdragon (Scott). Between me Dean and Jim I don't think anyone got much sleep. We had a real chorus going on (yes I have to admit I took some of the blame, but even Dean woke me up - sorry man it was bad lol).

Thursday morning I couldn't check in to my hotel fast enough. I'm sure the guys in the room were glad to see us go, too; it was really cramped.

I spent most of Thursday goofing around, playing league, and perusing the dealer hall. The RPG session Thursday night started late because the tournaments had problems starting on time, and we didn't even get to the best part of what Jason and I had planned. It was okay, though; we had a great time with what we did and I felt good about it after because Dean apparently bought the core book! :D Another convert... muahahahahaha..

Friday during the day was much of the same. Then we did the AT-ATs on Hoth event Friday night, and then to dinner. I think the socializing during the various meals the week of GenCon was my favorite part of the whole weekend. SWM has a great community and no matter how badly the top people at WotC treat us we always seem to rally together around our generally friendly attitudes. The biggest highlights were hanging out with Dean and Ray and Nate and Dajuan and Doug and Bill and ... the list just goes on and on.

Saturday was a day of hardwork; there's no getting around that. I was the head judge for the Masters (the TRUE Championship in all but name, as we proved with 74 participants). I have judged events for WotC before, but this was the first time I ever judged something with so many participants, so I was a bit nervous. Sithdragon was my back-up, and after the first round of the event, I realized he had things well in hand. I answered questions here and there, and walked around the tables. Scott did a great job with judging, and I felt confident in taking a step back and letting him handle most issues. There were a few things that I had to deal with, and I had to make a couple of really hard calls, but I knew going into it that that might happen. I knew Saturday evening I wanted to do something to thank Scott for the superb job he did, but I really didn't have any good ideas at the time. The solution would eventually present itself.

By the time Saturday night rolled around, I was exhausted. And I still had the Sunday morning finals to contend with. The next morning I headed down to the event hall early and watched the final games. After the finals were over, I picked up my "gifts" from Pasttimes - 2.5 cases of KotoR and a couple of boosters of LotF - and tore through them. One of the LotF boosters had a VR that Scott had said earlier he needed, so I went over and asked him if he still needed it. He offered a trade, but I just said, "Thanks for helping me judge," and handed him the mini.

The Godfather has taught me well. :)

Seriously, though, Jim couldn't have picked a better team of judges for the weekend, and I was glad -though surprised by Jim's invitation- to be among them.

So as we were leaving Jim handed me 2 more cases of KotoR and I finished my set on the drive home. I did it in a single day, and all I had to do was about 20-some hours of work. What a relief!

Well speaking of work, I should probably get back to my REAL job. Hope to see all of you again at GenCon next year!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:38 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Here's a couple of pics I took.

Hoth Battle

ndjarnag getting ready

Masters Final

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:07 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster