logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Is Outlining Gambit allowed on maps for DCI events?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:30 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

we are going to be instating the Gambit ruling shortly and I was wondering if it is permited to outline the gambit placement on maps for DCI events. I figure this would help move the game along instead of worrying if they are "in gambit". Thanks

Post subject: Re: Is Outlining Gambit allowed on maps for DCI events?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whenever you have question regarding DCI rules in miniatures please check out the Updated DCI floor rules in the document center. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/doccenter/home

There is nothing in the DCI floors rules that specifically states you can't add gambit areas to your maps, so the answer is- yes you can. All my maps are laminated so I don't permanently deface the map, but I do have gambit areas plotted onto transparency paper that I overlay onto the map. I found this really speeds things up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:30 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Just be careful that however you outline the area, you don't obscure any of the regular terrain lines on your map. Boba52's idea for using a transparency overlay is a really good, and very easy one. I have some clear vinyl that I purchased for pretty cheap at a Joann's Fabric store, and I drew a grid on it, then cut out the shapes for gambit zones. I got probably 5 or 6 grids out of $10 worth of material. Actually, might not have even been that expensive.

The other option, if your maps are laminated, or you use one of those poster sized top-loaders, you can use a dry erase marker.

Either way, as I said, just be sure you can still see all the terrain lines. The vinyl overlays that I created can block some lines sometimes depending on how it's set up, so I have to be careful and/or pay closer attention when pieces are in that area.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I would advise against marking up a non-laminated map. My suggestion instead would be to get a piece of transparency or something similar and cut out a couple of gambit grids.

Or you might mark the center of the map, on maps that aren't marked that way already.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:30 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I have all my maps laminated except the RotS hardboard, and while an expensive investment (especially since I have multiples of most of the DCI maps,) but outlining the gambit zone with a dry-erase marker has been fantastic for myself and my play group.