logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: simple squad to teach the game
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:23 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

what do you think would be a good but simple squad to teach the game?
i mean, not the pieces, but the overall.

keep it small?
uniques?
huges?
theme?

Post subject: Re: simple squad to teach the game
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:47 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I normally ask a newer player what their favorite is. (OT, prequels, EU, KotOR)

Then I customize a squad to them. Like for someone who likes OT, I might go with Luke/Vader and a Fett. Then some filler.

I try to put in characters that are easily recognizeable as it is more fun for the newer player to identify with the figures he (or she) is playing with.

Try to stay away from Stealth. That is just a headache trying to explain legal targets. Possibly run just one CE.

Keep it simple I say.

[spoiler="Nomi's Severed Force List"]After Two Game's Played:
Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Master Kota[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:13 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Something small to start out with is always good. Picking either characters or an era or faction that the new person is interested in is also a good place to start.

TheMadman showed me a couple squads a while back that I think work well for teaching new folks. It's basically just a single basic Force User (so, something like a Nightsister Sith Witch or a Republic Jedi Guardian), a Commander or two (Storm/Clone Commander, Imperial Officer, Clone Sargeant, etc.), and then a bunch of scrubs like Stormtroopers, Clonetroopers, Snowtroopers, etc. Don't use any pieces that are too complicated.

Play through a game or two with those absolutely basics, just getting down the idea of movement, moving and shooting, targetting, using Force Points or powers. Then, you can play another game, but substitute some of the troopers for trickier ones. Maybe sub in some Scout Troopers to learn Stealth, or Kashyyk Troopers to learn Double or Mobile Attack. Could swap out the Jedi Guardian for one of the other cheaper Jedi like Stass Allie, Shaak Ti, Plo Koon, etc. Again, try not to get too complicated, too quickly.

Gauge how well your new player is picking up the various things, and if it's going well enough, continue to introduce newer and newer pieces. The biggest problem I see with this now is that as the newer sets come out, they don't seem to have as many good basic pieces for learning the game. If you're just working with stuff from the later sets, I would suggest a similar system, but you may have to forgo squads that are era or faction specific and just build things with whatever assortment you have available.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:34 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

LoboStele wrote:
Something small to start out with is always good. Picking either characters or an era or faction that the new person is interested in is also a good place to start.

TheMadman showed me a couple squads a while back that I think work well for teaching new folks. It's basically just a single basic Force User (so, something like a Nightsister Sith Witch or a Republic Jedi Guardian), a Commander or two (Storm/Clone Commander, Imperial Officer, Clone Sargeant, etc.), and then a bunch of scrubs like Stormtroopers, Clonetroopers, Snowtroopers, etc. Don't use any pieces that are too complicated.

Play through a game or two with those absolutely basics, just getting down the idea of movement, moving and shooting, targetting, using Force Points or powers. Then, you can play another game, but substitute some of the troopers for trickier ones. Maybe sub in some Scout Troopers to learn Stealth, or Kashyyk Troopers to learn Double or Mobile Attack. Could swap out the Jedi Guardian for one of the other cheaper Jedi like Stass Allie, Shaak Ti, Plo Koon, etc. Again, try not to get too complicated, too quickly.

Gauge how well your new player is picking up the various things, and if it's going well enough, continue to introduce newer and newer pieces. The biggest problem I see with this now is that as the newer sets come out, they don't seem to have as many good basic pieces for learning the game. If you're just working with stuff from the later sets, I would suggest a similar system, but you may have to forgo squads that are era or faction specific and just build things with whatever assortment you have available.

all great ideas!

i have most pre BH pieces

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:03 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

darthrafa wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

all great ideas!

i have most pre BH pieces

I'd keep it that way for the most part. I'd say that even some pieces from CotF might give people headaches to start with. You can blame Super stealth for that. I would introduce with mostly Rebel Storm pieces if you have them. It leads people to believe it's a reasonable strategy game and each game can be less than 45 minutes. A few rounds of that and you can begin to dip into the stealths, initiative controls, and movement breakers. If you start with a lot of that stuff people might get turned off.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:35 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

ok guys, i made some squads for last saturday, and they choose imperial and republic.

the imperial contained a heavy st, imp. officer, veers, one elite st, one nightsister and the rest was stormtroopers.

the rep. was general kenobi, saleucami ct (for the "heavy weapon guy", ct commander, elite ct, and the rest was clone troopers.

the imperial army had more activations, but the republic one had more "fire power".

they both loved the game, as they are lotr miniatures gamers, and ask me to play again another time.

this time, teh republic player wanna play with droids, so separatist is the way to go.

what do you think?
do i do the basic grievous+droid officer+ battle/super battle droids?

i didnt included fringe last time, do you think is going to be necessary?

btw, thanks for the advices, they helped a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:48 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The simplest way to teach, IMHO, is to use the Revenge starter. You have 1 Force user with a CE (okay, Obi's doesn't work in this scenario) and 2 scrubs on each side + a card board map (never fails to make an impression on new players). If you want to, you can fill it up with more minis until you have 100 pts. I think that Grievous and Obi are perfect for this beacuse they are easily recognizable and it is a very epic build.

This is what I would use:

Grievous, SC - 43
Bodyguard Droid - 20
2 SBDs - 20
BDO - 9
2 BDs - 8

and

Obi-Wan, JM - 42
Cody - 20
2 Utapau Troopers - 20
2 Clones - 18

So now you can also use Accurate, Bodyguard and Wall Climber. If special abilities are too complicated, play without in the first match to teach basics. Helped at our LGS.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:54 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

thanks, but the other player wil play empire again (he's fanatic!)

i like your idea of using the bodyguard!

and about the map...well, they are lotr players, so they are used to 3d maps!

we are making some 3d now, think it will be great!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:55 pm 
General
General

Can you post pics of the maps when they're done?

{11111111011][7777777777777777777777777777777
<(HHHHHQXX)=(77777777777777777777777777777777