logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Ladies' Night
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:38 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I have participated in a tournament at my lgs last weekend using the following squad:

Mara Jade, Jedi - 45
Jaina Solo - 25
Muun Tactics Broker - 8
Gran Raider - 4
3x Ewok - 9
3x Ugnaught Demolitionist - 9

I used this build because we built 2 squads each and then the dice would decide who picks his squad first. The lower roll will pick his squad afterwards from a different faction than the high roll. So I had nothing to fear from NTMTO. It also was an era tournament, which meant that I had nothing to fear from San Hill either. So I could build completely without Lobot. Now I used the Ewoks because I only have 3 Uggies ( :cry: ).

The usual build would be this:

Mara Jade, Jedi - 45
Jaina Solo - 25
Lobot - 27
Ugnaught - 3
Reinforcements: MTB & 4 Uggies

The above squad was plain evil. I only lost the Gran to enemy fire once, all other losses were dealt by my MTB. Though this squad isn't unbeatable, I can't remember the last time I was so impressed by a 100 points squad. I only rolled a single 1 for init (of course, on a most crucial occasion, after I based 2 Vong JHs the round before), but luckily won the re-roll. The damage potential of Mara and Jaina is incredible!

Let me know what you think, please! Any improvements to this build would be awesome! I just can't think of another mini that can adequately replace Jaina, atm.

Post subject: Re: Ladies' Night
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:50 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Uh....how do you get rid of the MTB? 7 rounds of MTB fodder is no where near enough for a 100 point game, IMO. I have NEVER had a 100 point game go to the 1 hour time limit, and if your game does, then somebody is definitely stalling....a lot. In an era specific format, you've got a decent squad build for sure, as the guaranteed initiative and two Cunning attackers make for plenty of damage. Against the overall meta though, this squad would have a pretty tough go of it, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:52 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Well, I didn't have any problems with running out of fodder at all. The fewest minis I had was the MTB, Mara, Jaina and an Ugnaught (it was the game where they shot my Gran). I simply moved towards the door (all games were played on Bespin) in the middle of the map, opened it with one of my remaining activations and then rushed through with my Jedi at the end of the round. Two guys kept their minis back at their end of the map, but I still got to them and killed their minis easily. I actually NEVER played more than 7 rounds in 100 points in my whole life! Even if I did, at the point where one of my girls dies I should have smoked the opponent or he should have smoked me already. It is not like most 100 point squads bring that many minis to the table that I couldn't deal with them in 7 rounds time.

I had the same thoughts as you do and the guys at my lgs also told me "we will simply stay back and let you starve", but somehow it worked brilliantly still. If there was a proper way to get rid of the MTB, I would take it, of course, but I simply can't find a mini that lets me get to the opponent in 3-4 rounds time to take out the center pieces of the enemy squad and then kills the MTB for me, so I can clean up the rest. If I want to off the MTB, I would have to drop one of my fighters (Jaina) to make room for the points. But then I fear that I wouldn't bring enough punch to the table to make the strategy worthwhile. :?

Any ideas on how to deal with the MTB and still bring punch to the table? Would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:25 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Interesting.....

See....all it would take is an Override piece on your opponent's team. Lock a door closed. Now....you have to bring up Ugos, or your own Override piece to open the door. Now you have an Ugo exposed somewhere, shoot the Ugo, 1 less activation for MTB fodder. While true, I can't think that I've had very many 100 point games ever go to time, or go past 7 rounds, I think I could definitely run around in circles long enough to make you kill off everything. I would think Bespin would be your absolute worst nightmare in that regard. All the doorways, and the tunnel on the one side, and multiple ways in and out of different rooms. In most situations, I would gladly take an AoO from one of your pieces just to move into a different room and close the door on you. Let you keep chasing me around the map until you kill yourself. :P

Again, in a specific type of build like it sounded like you had, it probably would have little problem. I just don't think I would be comfortable running something like that on a regular basis. To top it all off, you might still have trouble against YVJH squads, since two JHs can kill Mara in one round without too much trouble, and in return Mara/Jaina can only consistently kill 1 per round, possibly two if the rolls/positioning are lucky enough.