logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWM GenCon 2008 organization thread.
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:03 pm 
The Godfather
The Godfather

WOTC has again contracted with Pastimes for GeCon 2008, and I have again been given the honor of heading the team that will oversee the Star Wars Miniature events at the convention. This year GeCon will have some additional interest with the release of Knight of the Old Republic expansion the Friday before we arrive.

Below is a listing of the events that will be offered this year. Once again, I should keep you fairly busy during the entire weekend.

Thursday, Aug 14, 11am. 150 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge
Thursday, Aug 14, 6pm. 200 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge
Friday, Aug 15, 10am. 100 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge
Friday, Aug 15, 4pm. 100 point KOTOR sealed booster tournament
Friday, Aug 15, 6pm. Hoth Challenge
Friday, Aug 15, 10pm. Tile Wars tournament
Saturday, Aug 16, 10am. Jedi Masters 150 point, swiss rounds only
Saturday, Aug 16, 3 pm. 100 point KOTOR sealed booster tournament
Saturday, Aug 16, 8pm. 100 point KOTOR only constructed tournament
Sunday, Aug 17, 9am. Jedi Masters 150 point finals – Top 8
Sunday, Aug 17, 11am. Dynamic Duo tournament

As with last year, all of the tournaments with the exception of the Jedi Masters event on Saturday and the AT-AT Hoth battle will be capped at 4 rounds of Swiss and those players will undefeated records and only 1 loss will receive prize support. Please plan on a commitment of 5 hours for each of these tournaments. Please note that all tournaments follow faction rules. You will also notice that the first three events are Jedi Challenge events. These tournaments will all be stand alone tournaments but the player that scores the most points over the combined three events will receive special prize support and recognition (props to the Nebraska players for the idea on this series of tournaments).

The Jedi Masters 150 point Constructed tournament will replace the Championship and will be the main event on Saturday. The only difference really from last year is that the final 8 players will play off on Sunday morning. I do plan on a food/Oxygen break during the swiss rounds of this event and I will be again providing a special die for the tournament. One major change for this tournament will be that each player will have to choose a map from the following list. We have been given permission from DCI and Organized play at WOTC for this tournament only.

Tractor Beam Coupling Map (Death Star),
Grand Plaza Map (Moonilist),
Rancor Pen Map,
Hall of Judgement Map (Jedi Temple),
Commanders Office Map (Ravaged Base),
Power Regulation Chamber Map (Revenge of the Sith Starter Hardboard)
The Chancellors Starship Map.

We are, of course, disappointed that the decision was made not to have a championship at GenCon. I would, however, ask that you discuss your disappointment in a separate thread rather than in this one. Thanks.

In addition to the above events we will again be having league play during the convention.
League play is listed to begin at 9am and wrapping up each day at 8pm (Sunday at 3pm). It will begin on Thursday and run throughout the convention. You will receive two boosters and will put together a 100 point squad to play against other league players. Please bring a Star Wars Miniature map with you for league play. When a league play match is completed, both players will approach the league play table and the match winner rolls 2d20 and the individual that was defeated rolls 1d20. You receive a mini corresponding to your highest roll that is then added (if you want) to your pool of minis that make up your 100 point army. There will be no additional prize support for league other than the mini you receive after each match. Also as part of league play and “if” time permits, I will be making some selected challenges and will have some small fun prize packages if defeated!!

Pastimes’ goal is that all players have a positive GenCon 2008 experience. Please remember to bring your DCI number with you as well as the appropriate maps for tournament play. Also, please remember to register early for each event (30-40 minutes before start time). You will again be required to fill out a team roster. This will allow staff to get the event started on time. Prize support will be the latest Star Wars Miniature product (KOTOR at this time). We are working on some interesting additional prize support for the events at GenCon 2008. I will try to reveal as much as I can before we get there in August.

Post subject: Re: SWM GenCon 2008 organization thread.
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:35 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

My excitement level for Gencon a month ago was maybe a 4 out of 10.

My excitement level for Gencon two weeks ago was up to about a 6 out of 10.

My excitement level for Gencon as of this moment, 9.5 out of 10!

Jim, I want to fully congratulate you on getting all of this craziness done, thank you from the bottom of my heart, and I know I can speak for Dean as well with a huge, "Thank you!", and tell you how ready I am to have the greatest four days in SWM gaming that will be possible!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:46 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LMAO

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:55 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dnemiller wrote:
And if we leave four weeks early at the rate of speed you drive we should only miss the 150 point constructed on Thursday!!!!!!

That was great Dean. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:47 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
What's up with the limited map choices?

I can see that Geonosis and Mustafar are horrible maps for certain builds, but they are still legal maps. I don't understand why Coruscant, Cloud City and Tatooine aren't allowed.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:41 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Availability basically. Other than Bespin, the others really are not played much anyway.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:44 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

el sweeto.

should be fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithdragon13 wrote:
Other than Bespin, the others really are not played much anyway.

Such pessimism...

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:00 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Sithdragon13 wrote:

Such pessimism...

And you saying this makes it all optimistic? That is hypocritical.

This is great news. Glad to hear GenCon is on and very nice to hear the map problem is settled.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Sithdragon13 wrote:

Such pessimism...

And you saying this makes it all optimistic? That is hypocritical.

I am just being a facetious smart-ass. Chill.
I don't see how its "hypocritical," though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I know this thread hasn't been utilized in a couple months, and the one at the WOTC boards has the more activity...but I'm at work, so no Wizo's for me right now. :P

So, before I go home this afternoon and forget...again....

Why are the two KOTOR Sealed events only 100 points, instead of 150? 150 has seemed to be the standard for Sealed events lately, and with some of the higher point figures in the KOTOR set (Malak, Mandalore, Draay, likely Vader, etc.) it could make it very tough to build a fun and competitive squad at 100 points if you pull 2 different high cost Rares, but a bunch of lousy smaller pieces. On top of that, with pieces like the Echani Handmaiden being 23 points and a Common, I don't see there being ANY problem with reaching 150 points for most people. Just a lot more fun when you actually have the space in your squad to fit a larger number of your figures and get a chance to play with them.

Probably too late to change now, just curious why it was done this way....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:42 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'd be surprised if it even happens at all, due to KOTOR releasing after Gencon.

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
I know this thread hasn't been utilized in a couple months, and the one at the WOTC boards has the more activity...but I'm at work, so no Wizo's for me right now. :P

So, before I go home this afternoon and forget...again....

Why are the two KOTOR Sealed events only 100 points, instead of 150? 150 has seemed to be the standard for Sealed events lately, and with some of the higher point figures in the KOTOR set (Malak, Mandalore, Draay, likely Vader, etc.) it could make it very tough to build a fun and competitive squad at 100 points if you pull 2 different high cost Rares, but a bunch of lousy smaller pieces. On top of that, with pieces like the Echani Handmaiden being 23 points and a Common, I don't see there being ANY problem with reaching 150 points for most people. Just a lot more fun when you actually have the space in your squad to fit a larger number of your figures and get a chance to play with them.

Probably too late to change now, just curious why it was done this way....

You should take that up with Jim at the Con. I really have no answer for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I guess if it's OK with everyone who signed up, it could be changed on the fly?

Was nice to see Jim's other answers concerning the KOTOR product availability on the Wizo's boards though. Would be nice to be reassured that it will still be available as prize support, but as long as it's there for League and the Sealed, that's a good start.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:44 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
I guess if it's OK with everyone who signed up, it could be changed on the fly?

Was nice to see Jim's other answers concerning the KOTOR product availability on the Wizo's boards though. Would be nice to be reassured that it will still be available as prize support, but as long as it's there for League and the Sealed, that's a good start.

Keep in mind Jim and Alan only know what they are told by WotC, which you all know how fickle WotC can be.

My favorite example is still the time Erik Olsen, who used to be the web guy for SW material at WotC, admitted that he knew nothing about any plans to post info about Starship Battles on the website despite the BH insert that stated otherwise.

Erik's comments about it were that someone callled him, asked him for the website address, and then hung up without telling him why they were calling. I still remember Erik saying he wondered what that was about, and then promptly went back to what he was doing, all in the span of about 7 seconds.

I guess my point is that "Stuart" might tell Alan one thing while "Bob" in a different department knows something else to be the truth, but Stuart and Bob don't actively communicate.

Bottom line - I trust Jim and I trust Alan, but its important to keep their information in perspective. Hopefully, WotC will come through for them, but I don't want to see them blamed if WotC doesn't. And I'm not saying WotC won't, just that we need to be realistic about the company based on our experience with them. And OMG that is just my opinion, I am by no means trying to tell anyone what to think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:45 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! BIG NEWS TO FOLLOW!

I hope many of you have seen Jedicartographer's Map Pack. The original plan for the Map Packs was to be offered at Gencon this year. However, due to circumstances, JC can not attend. However, I have remedied this! I will have Map Packs on hand at Gencon! I contacted JC about being an onsite liason, and several copies of Map Pack One will be available to anyone at Gencon. This will be a chance for people to see the quality of these maps before they purchase them. I will be in the Minis Hall every day, and a few days I will be working with Pastimes, so it will not be hard to find me! If anyone has any questions, please PM me! I hope to see many of you there!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:35 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dvader831 wrote:
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! BIG NEWS TO FOLLOW!

I hope many of you have seen Jedicartographer's Map Pack. The original plan for the Map Packs was to be offered at Gencon this year. However, due to circumstances, JC can not attend. However, I have remedied this! I will have Map Packs on hand at Gencon! I contacted JC about being an onsite liason, and several copies of Map Pack One will be available to anyone at Gencon. This will be a chance for people to see the quality of these maps before they purchase them. I will be in the Minis Hall every day, and a few days I will be working with Pastimes, so it will not be hard to find me! If anyone has any questions, please PM me! I hope to see many of you there!

Please be discreet in your sales/purchases.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:09 am 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Please be discreet in your sales/purchases.

Was already planning on this. I get the word out here, and then let people find me. I won't blatently advertise it there (in the mini's hall). But, hey, if someone asks you, "Where do I get that cool Echo Base map?", you had better point them to me, Dennis!