logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Separatist help
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:52 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I came up with a pretty cool idea that would generally work for higher point squads. Well, here's the combo I thought up
General Grievous - 44
Guard Droid - 30
Gonk Power Droid - 12

The gonk gives the guard droid extra attack with Power Coupling, and Grievous gives the Guard Droid double attack. So, this 30pt droid with twin attack makes 8 attacks for 20 each at +11

What do you guys think? What should I add or remove?

Post subject: Re: Separatist help
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:23 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

It'd have to be in 150 or 200 with some sort of adjustment to account for initiative or activations. I suppose you could work Lobot in for init, but you'd still be low on activations for a bunch o places.

You might have messed up on the math for # of attacks that the guard droid gets too. When Grievous gives double and the gonk give one more then it's only 6 attacks with twin. Still 120 damage, but with only 80 HP he'll fall quickly.

This might do better in 100 than larger squads actually. I'd kinda like to see this vs Bane.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:31 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Whoops, miscounted the attacks. Thanks. It seemed like a great idea when I was looking through my stuff, even though I'm ridiculously limited on Separatists and Droids. Hell, I dont even have that Grievous yet. I'm using the Supreme Commander one. The other one is nicer though, with being able to attack ranged :D Thanks for the advice though. I'll have to see what I can work out with this. I suppose Lobot would bring in an MTB and ugnaughts? Or do you think I shouldn't risk losing the Gonk early in the game, so put another in? I seriously need all the advice I can get on this one. I want to make it really good, to be honest. Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:39 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

And this is what I just came up with using that advice. LMK what you guys think: 150 pts

General Grievous - 44
2x Guard Droid - 60
Lobot - 27
Gonk - 12
3x Ugnaughts

Lobot brings in MTB and 4x Ugnaughts. 7 rounds of initiative control for a 150 pt squad should be able to do it. Keep the Gonk completely in cover, someplace next to the Guard Droid, where it cant be seen. And next to that keep the MTB. If possible, either use Lobot to override doors in your favor, or if somewhere like the Rancor Pit, keep the Ugnaughts locked behind a door with Lobot keeping it locked.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:04 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I think that General Grievous, Supreme Commander would be a better choice for your squad, he gives a bonus to attack as well as Double, which would help your squad hit higher-defense targets.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Except that the original Gen. Grievous is a shooter, which might make a difference to some...

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:04 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I had a bit of success with something similar lately. Using GG, Supreme Commander and the battle Droid Officer to boost the Guard Droid (+15 attack - double, twin within 6 of Grievous or +11 twin while moving into position). I only used one and used a crab out front to absorb most of the attacks. Lots of Battle Droids to combine fire on the four shots of the Guard Droid if needed. I was playing 200 so had the luxury of a few more filler pieces. I didn't worry about initiative control with so many activations and set up with the idea that I won't go first and might lose a battle droid or two.

If you are going for door control and initiative control, I do like your last idea. Only would recommend take out the 3 Ugnaughts and put in a Battle Droid Officer for the +4 on all attacks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:40 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

A matter of taste, but for 4 more points I've always prefered using the Geonosian Overseer to give my Droids Double Attack. He doesn't have to be adjacent so you can hide him round a corner, he's easy to move about thank to Flight and his SA boosts all droids within 6.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:36 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Ugavine wrote:
A matter of taste, but for 4 more points I've always prefered using the Geonosian Overseer to give my Droids Double Attack. He doesn't have to be adjacent so you can hide him round a corner, he's easy to move about thank to Flight and his SA boosts all droids within 6.

As long as your are using the Geo Overseer, you might as well take the Super Battle Droid Commander (+4 careful). The Guard Droid base attack is nothing to write home about.