logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Thinking Outside the Box
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:47 am 
General
General

One of my favorite parts of SWM is coming up with effective squads that use figs most people have discounted as unplayable or non-competitive. It's like rooting for the underdog or something. Is that weird? Does anyone else do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:43 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Definitely! That I like to do that too, I mean, not that it's weird. Although some people could actually think that. Weirdos...

I love it when those figures actually make it to the table, and they actually get to do something useful before their inevitable demise. For example, I've used Agen Kolar, Jedi Master more than I have Darth Vader, Jedi Hunter. Or even the Jedi Weapon Master, if we want to keep it faction specific.

I find I do the same thing when watching my favourite sports teams. I always want to see the player most people don't rate too highly do well, just cause he's the underdog. Unless said fellow seems like a jerk or doesn't put any effort in.

Post subject: Re: Thinking Outside the Box
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

shinja wrote:
One of my favorite parts of SWM is coming up with effective squads that use figs most people have discounted as unplayable or non-competitive. It's like rooting for the underdog or something. Is that weird? Does anyone else do that?

That was mine, Billiv's and Dnemiller's goal when we made Jango playable. He was overlooked by Boba in every way and we showed people just how good he is.

That is what I have been doing with the Storm Commando too. People thought he looked pretty good, I hope they will see just how great they are.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:54 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Obviously, I have had some success with this idea. Though you really need to challenge yourselves. Jango? Storm Commando? Really, they already show themselves to be decent. Try a challenge. Jabba is on my next to break list (seriously). If I can do that, after San's rise, I think I would deserve the title of best squad builder ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:00 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

I get your point Sith, but Jango wasnt really high on anyone's list at the time. In fact when first asked to do it, I said, "Meh are you kidding?" to TreebeardtheEnt who wanted a JAngo build that was competitive. The key is he didnt just want a fun one, he wanted one that could take on the current meta. So it was a it of a challenge.

But I digress. One of my favorite squads was making Tion Medon and Goofbirds work!!! Best quote ever from a guy I played on Vassal -

"That squad is so cheesy".

Not kidding. It had Thrawn/Mas, 3 goofbirds, Stormy Commander, Tion Medon and filler. He got mad because in one round my goofbirds hit 6 times, four for 40 dmg, and twice for 30. It was funny.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:08 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithborg wrote:
Obviously, I have had some success with this idea. Though you really need to challenge yourselves. Jango? Storm Commando? Really, they already show themselves to be decent. Try a challenge. Jabba is on my next to break list (seriously). If I can do that, after San's rise, I think I would deserve the title of best squad builder ever.

Look back to before myself, Bill and Dean posted Jango squads. If you see any Jango builds posted back then, they were immediatly shot down because Jango was nothing compared to Boba BH. Now they don't think that anymore. :D

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:55 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

lol, any squad that includes Tion Medon isn't allowed to have the 'cheesy' label attached to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:23 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I love making use of the lesser used characters, with the possible exception of Nikto :)
I don't see a problem with Ponda Baba for example. I never play Thrawn and rarely use Boba BH.

I also love silly squads. Han ST, Leia Hoth, Ithorian Cmdr, lots of Ewoks. :D
In fact it's running the odd combo's that I thing wins me games. That and gung-ho tactics - charging astright up the middle of the board has won me more games than trying to sneak close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:02 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
But I digress. One of my favorite squads was making Tion Medon and Goofbirds work!!! Best quote ever from a guy I played on Vassal -

"That squad is so cheesy".

Hah. That's a classic.

You might have actually been in the room for this one... I got accused of bringing a "hate squad" on VASSAL when we agreed to just bring fun squads. My accused squad:

Warmaster, Vong Warrior x4, Ugo.

And my opponent's 'fun squad'

JWM x2, Sev x2, filler

In general I play anything and everything but I tend to go through phases. Some recent ones: IG-BH/4L-BH and repair. Leia HC and Atgars. Ewok swarms. Wookiee swarms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:09 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

I know Boba overshadowed him, but I couldn't wait to use Jango when I first saw his stats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:14 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I remember the day I smashed through a series of games with Ithorian Commander and Leia, Captive. Good times. :o :D

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:25 am 

NickName wrote:

Hah. That's a classic.

You might have actually been in the room for this one... I got accused of bringing a "hate squad" on VASSAL when we agreed to just bring fun squads. My accused squad:

Warmaster, Vong Warrior x4, Ugo.

And my opponent's 'fun squad'

JWM x2, Sev x2, filler

Yep, I remember that. I couldnt believe he was accusing you of that. Classic indeed.

One of my trends lately is I have been playing a lot of Sep Beats. They are just fun, even when I cant win inits. :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:26 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I remember when San was called as abusive as Thrawn. Good times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Despite his low attack value he seems to roll well; it's in the name

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:10 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Right after the set came out i had a game with him where it came down to him vs Vader. Real hard to hit a 27 in cover with that Luke. I think I managed to hit Vader once or twice the whole game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:54 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

homer_sapien wrote:
Right after the set came out i had a game with him where it came down to him vs Vader. Real hard to hit a 27 in cover with that Luke. I think I managed to hit Vader once or twice the whole game.

Which would mean you rolled a 19+ meaning a crit + twin and flurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:38 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Good point. Either I'm remembering things wrong or the hits were when he'd based me. Either way that Luke against any Vader isn't fun.

Post subject: Re: Thinking Outside the Box
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:07 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

shinja wrote:

Uh... Hell yeah! I love doing that. I don't always, but every once-in-a-while, I do. Like trying to make luke, jedi knight playable.