logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Is the number of trolls on Wizards on the rise???
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:19 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

dnemiller wrote:
And who is this Darth Dracko cause he seems to be one of the biggest trolls on the boards....

Drako is a 17 year old kid from Milwaukee who tried to start a new SWMs scene there last year. However, his enthusiasm for the game does no translate through his youth and lack of experience in understanding opposin view points. I talked with him at length about his venue before I chose not to attend due to his lack of experience. While I am all for helping a new guy, he was unreasonable and refused to believe that others might know better than he.

Although, it could have been my fault because we all know I am arrogant and have all of my sheep with me. So who knows really :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:21 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Well, he's 17... so he's still immortal. Ah, the joys of youth.

Of course, I think you pegged me as a troll too, Billiv ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:23 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

At least he's no KingSlurr69.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:29 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

EmporerDragon wrote:
At least he's no KingSlurr69.

don't forget lukecotffireforce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:38 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Although, it could have been my fault because we all know I am arrogant and have all of my sheep with me.

baaaaa!

Oh, I mean...

There's a real problem with one of your posting tactics that leads people to the wrong impression about you. Any time you start discussing "what the top players think" when you're someone considered part of that group it's bait for people who want to call you arrogant or elitist rather than the more difficult task of arguing your actual point.

Of course, I agree that there are a group of players who fall into that category, and when you use that shorthand you aren't really doing so as an ego-boost, but regardless of the accuracy or intent it always reads the other way to a lot of people.

Sometimes it's really tough to make a point about who is worth listening to and why and you're better off just sticking to the points that don't require that.

Drew has had a tendancy in the past to fall into the same trap, but recently he's done a better job at avoiding it while still maintaining his somewhat brash online "persona".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:51 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Wait, what's a troll? (Aside from the obvious beast that hides under bridges..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:54 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Fang wrote:
Wait, what's a troll? (Aside from the obvious beast that hides under bridges..)

a person who baits people into getting into arguements where there is often many insults involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:31 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I haven't seen obviousing trolling. Just a lot of people who can't argue real well. I know I have come off as arrogant before, so I do try to keep it in check when in a discussion. There have been quite a few angry people on the boards lately, but no trolls like Slurr or Lukecotf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:46 pm 

Sithborg wrote:
I haven't seen obviousing trolling. Just a lot of people who can't argue real well. I know I have come off as arrogant before, so I do try to keep it in check when in a discussion. There have been quite a few angry people on the boards lately, but no trolls like Slurr or Lukecotf.

I certainly dont miss those guys :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:38 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I tend to find WOTC have the worst boards for trolling from any of the boards I frequent. There are a lot of immature people posting there, and I'm not talking about kids, a couple of times I've really felt like deleting my a/c there.

Yes, I do have a problem in that I'm not a great social person, and that's even more so on message boards. I'll answer a thread but struggle to spark up a personal rapport with anyone. Heck, I've been posting on the SW-RPG Holonet since 1999 but still don't really know anyone. But WOTC boards don't make me want to know anybody there. I know most of you guys post there, but I feel a lot more comfortable chatting here than I do over there. In fact the whole reason I started coming here is to find somewhere to post other than WOTC.

Oh, and if you want to know, my screenname is Ugavine on WOTC boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:50 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I haven't noticed any "trolls" on the WotC board. But, to be fair, I've stopped going there entirely unless I want to look up trades.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:55 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I have found Wizards better than most boards. Its just anytime someone brings up change or a new fig comes out then you see 1-2 people start flaming against the subject as is happening with the current map discussion.

For all those swearing off the wizo boards, keep one thing in mind......Rob reads those boards, not these boards. Your comments here go to people that can do nothing, comments on the wizo board will reach ears that can do something.

i do like the fact though that the mods haven't been dropping the hammer on the non-minis threads (book threads, family guy thread, ect) as hard as they were before.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:01 am 
General
General

Quote:
Is the number of trolls on Wizards on the rise???

Don't look at me: I'm over here mostly, now. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:59 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I really enjoyed the read, and Billiv explaining Engineer's sarcasm (which was pretty obvious) to this Dracko was a great internet moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:04 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I don't think it's so much on the rise as it is that it's all that's really going on over there any more. What I mean is, Dean, you have provided through this website a place where people can just talk about having fun with the game, something exclusive for the SWM community, and most of the users here are exclusively from the WotC website.

When you take away all the casual, friendly talk, the ranting is all that's left.

I also agree with Nickname's point about the "elite-speak" where some people (whether they intend it or not) come across as trying to push their (IMO minority) opinions off on the entire community. They have just enough supporters to at least get WotC's attention, but they don't speak for the majority of players. I would also add that I doubt very many of those who oppose the proposals being put forth for rigorous DCI changes actually play by those rules, either, but it doesn't stop them from debating it because they have nothing else to talk about. Threads that are all or mostly positive tend to die out very quickly, but places where people can gripe, OH MAN, let the good times ROLL!!! :P

A kid at my local store, who's about 15, had some great insight into some of the posts. He doesn't know anything about any of the online posters as I don't talk much about it with the local crowd but after creating an account a few weeks ago, just after GenCon, he asked me what the deal was, why some people are pushing hard-core antics so heavily.

"Do those guys even know what casual play is?" he asked.

Very intuitive. Not necessarily about any specific person, but just the situation in general. I've also heard some of you referred to as "The Think-Tank." Trust me it wasn't meant as a compliment. :(

Personally, I think the hard-core edge could stand to be toned down a bit, but recently I've decided I don't care enough about the situation one way or the other to get involved any more. I have had some personal life experiences that have almost completely altered my priority levels, which is a big part of why you don't see very many posts from me these days.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:23 pm 
General
General

If the previews were forthcoming, then maybe they'd have something appropriate to talk about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:25 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

My LGS wishes the previews were coming so I would place an order :)

I think it's the elitist constant focus on competetive play that is probably bugging me most on the WOTC boards. Maybe they need a 'Fun-Play' forum, but I can't see that happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:27 pm 
General
General

Competetive play is "fun play."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:03 pm 

Bail Ohmar wrote:
My LGS wishes the previews were coming so I would place an order :)

I think it's the elitist constant focus on competetive play that is probably bugging me most on the WOTC boards. Maybe they need a 'Fun-Play' forum, but I can't see that happening.

Well fair enough. You are free to start your own threads over there if you dont like ours. I grow tired of this debate. I specify in every friggen thread anymore that "I am only talking about top level competitive SWMs here" and yet I still get accused of that crap. I talk about it there because its the only place I can give feedback to WotC and DCI. Uliq and I start threads and make titles to let people know what its about and yet we get people who dont even play dci telling us how it should be run....

I dont go into the "fun" threads and trash your ideas. In fact I participate in many. Competitive gaming is fun for many people. And most of us play more than just competitively. See Tile Wars for example (even though I couldnt make it because of work). The idea was awesome - and I want to play it sometime.

Elitist lol man. Perception is always so much stronger than reality. Try looking at it from someone else' persective before you go about throwing around words like "elitist" and so forth. Thats pretty rude man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:13 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Though, if you look at who's blasting casual squads for being non competitive, it's generally only one or two people that's doing it.