Mark forums read

Post subject: Darth Krayt, maybe?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:35 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Darth Krayt 76
Duros Scoundrel 12
Uggie x4

I really wanted to throw Krayt into a 100 point squad, Since I have limited experience at 100 point games I don't really know if this would work or not so the only piece here that needs to stay is Krayt. So if I win Init the duros could double with cunning as some nice support damage for your main beat, I originally had a 2nd duros inplace of the uggies but had no door control then so I trade it for 4 uggies, good Idea? Bad Idea? any advice would be appreciated

Post subject: Re: Darth Krayt, maybe?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:22 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Krayt is an extremely TOUGH piece. You can almost bet that anyone who deals damage against him will have that damage reduced by 10. With force points to burn save 6 is an easy thing to make. That said your standard 20 damage piece would need to hit Krayt a total of 13 times in order to bring him down. In order to judge the potential of this squad though we must see how it would fare against top notch squads. In 100 point games that means the new Vong, and Darth Bane. If a squad can handle both of those in 100 then it definitely deserves some consideration.

Vs Bane the final result will be (in all likelyhood) a face off between Krayt and Bane, probably in the Gambit area. The Ugo's don't matter much as they will be unable to hit Bane or Krayt, and in the event that they do hit Krayt the damage is reduced by 10.

Bane 2x40 every round 200 hp
Krayt 3x20 every round 130 hp (notice the armor is figured into Bane's damage)

It takes bane 7 hits (4 rounds) to drop Krayt to 0. It takes 10 hits for Krayt (4 rounds) to get there. Looks like an initiative game to me if I ever saw one, so we can say that this squad can deal with Bane. It matches up well.

Vong Lets say Hunting Season by Flea as our example here. 3 Jedi Hunters swinging for 20 twice a round against (120 damage output) against the 30 put out by Krayt. Looks Like Krayt is falling short in this one. And can the Duro's make up for it? perhaps. The thing about the Vong is that they have no range, so your Duro's could be taking shots as early as round 2 in certain cases on certain maps, but being as these maps are typically to your disadvantage you won't have brought one to the tournament in all likely-hood. Your opponent to whom this would always be a disadvantage probably has not brought one either, but you could potentially get 2-3 rounds of unanswered shots early in the game. That could make all the difference. If you manage to drop a Vong Jedi Hunter before the major engagement begins then you stand a chance.

In short, this squad will do fairly well, and is in fact similar to the Bane builds we have been seeing since the release of COTF, He adds a little more staying power than Bane has against attacks that deal less than 30 damage (which is pretty standard to see), but he lacks Bane's Offense. This squad will preform as well as a Bane squad, in my opinion, in most cases. Watch out for swarms or even semi-swarms. And definitely watch out for ranged damage dealers such as anyone named "Fett"

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:29 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Except that Bane only needs 4 hits at 40 damage a pop (actually, 5 at 30 a pop for that matter) in order to kill Krayt, not 7. That's 2-3 rounds at most. Not to mention the fact that Bane should be content to sit back and Lightsaber Throw all day long, or potentially use Assault, denying Krayt his Triple Attack.

Keeping the Duros alive, and (hopefully) winning initiaitive so he can get Double Attacks off on Bane will be key here. The tough thing is that it will be easy to interfere with the Duros using the Ugos to screen Bane. But, if the Duros can get 2 or 3 good hits in on Bane, it should be MUCH easier for Krayt. Also, Krayt could possibly lightning Bane and some Ugos at least once before they fully engage. That would help out. Also, Krayt's Deadly Attack, while you can't bank on it happening for sure, it could come into play, and would make a big difference.

Still going to be based on who wins init a lot, since Bane could try Sith Sorcery a few times as well (he only needs to use Sith Rage in one round in order to get past 130 damage).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:32 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

You're right, my math skills suck today. I was figuring in the Rage though.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:36 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Luke_Skywalker wrote:

Even with Rage, if Krayt makes all his armor saves, Bane is effectively doing 40 damage per hit, and only needs 4 hits to kill Krayt. Without Rage, Bane does 40 base, 30 after VCA6, so only needs 5 attacks to kill. It would be an interesting matchup for sure, but I think Bane still has the edge here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:26 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

LoboStele wrote:
Luke_Skywalker wrote:

Even with Rage, if Krayt makes all his armor saves, Bane is effectively doing 40 damage per hit, and only needs 4 hits to kill Krayt. Without Rage, Bane does 40 base, 30 after VCA6, so only needs 5 attacks to kill. It would be an interesting matchup for sure, but I think Bane still has the edge here.

Right well I didn't say I was figuring it properly :p

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:02 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

This is pretty much what I've found trying to work Krayt in 100 or 150 squads. He's amazing against 20 damage or less opponents, but he'll fall so quickly vs larger damage dealers that he isn't worth his points. Bane really has the edge on Krayt in 100 and you need too much luck to win. :(

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:04 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

That probably is as it should be, after all doesn't bane have little to no respect for him, something about breaking the Rule of Two. It's almost like Bane considers him to be an ant.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:06 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Yeah I was a little unsure about how he would work against the likes of Lord Vader or Vader JH because they are more common for me to see then Bane, but Bane does rear his ugly orc like head occasionally and the evidence provided here leads me to believe between two players of equal skill Bane wins probably 75% of time and that may being to nice to Krayt. I guess I won't abandon the idea, I should at least run it against Bane once to see how close it ends up being, if the duros was able to hit bane acouple times maybe it might make things a little more interesting

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:06 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Im gonna give Krayt a little more backing against the Vong than he apparently has gotten in this thread thus far.

1) You can lower the vongs dmg potential alot by killing the Shaper that the squad will be running. Given, most intelligent players will keep it in the back so you cant shoot her without accurate.
2)Even if you cant get to the shaper to kill her off right away, Krayt needs to not roll a 1 to land a hit on anything you are gonna see in the vong squad(shaper or jh), opposed to the JH needing an 8 to hit Krayt in return. Given, its not that hard to roll an 8, but some of those attacks should miss, statistically.

Im not saying Krayt can or will beat a good Vong squad, but I think he deserves more credit against them than he has been given so far. Hes actually one of the pieces near the top of my wants list.

"If at first you don't succeed, before you try again, stop to figure out what you did wrong." -Leo Rosten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:31 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

LoboStele wrote:
Luke_Skywalker wrote:

Bane needs anything 2+ +20 with JH. But I agree, Krayt is better then people put him up to be.