logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Dumb A$$ Tourney Question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:30 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Ok, here goes. I have never been involved in a DCI sanctioned tourney, there are zero near me. I am going to Comic-Con again this year, and have noticed that WotC is sponsoring one there (several actually). I have a few questions:

1) If WotC is sponsoring, will it be DCI sanctioned?

2) What should I expect from this, as it draws people from all over?

I only play at my LGS, and they are not a DCI store for SWM. It is always "faction pure", and because of that, I am not entirely familiar with all the nuances of DCI play. I do read the squad and tourney section here, but it is similar to having skim milk your entire life, and then getting gloriously, fat glumpie filled, rich, creamy whole milk. Not sure what to make of it. I play with the same group of guys that I have gamed with for the past 25 years (yeah, I'm an ancient 42) but they are also a "faction pure" group, and don't dig gambit, so my experiences there are way limited. I have had to play nice lately, just to keep them playing, because they do not like to lose all the time, but again, it's just our group.

3) As I know we have numerous experienced tourney players here, nay, champions, I would love some advice.

I know Vassal would help tons, but I am in the process of getting a new PC. My desktop went the way of Darth Maul (no, not cybernetic legs-but I can dream!) and has gone ass up. My laptop is an older model, and works well enough, but I don't want to push it. (This is a free invitation for computer advice).

So, any help would be appreciated. This event isn't until July, so I have time to learn a bit. And ruthlessness isn't an issue, I'm and old school gamer, D&D and Hackmaster GM, as well as a Steve Jackson officianado.

Thanks.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit.

Post subject: Re: Dunb A$$ Tourney Question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:02 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Awesome, another person attending (see here)!

I only played at one SWM event last year (plan on playing SWM most of the time this year though), but I'll try my best to answer you:

Quote:
1) If WotC is sponsoring, will it be DCI sanctioned?

Yes, all of the events are DCI sanctioned.

Quote:
2) What should I expect from this, as it draws people from all over?

Last year's schedule was heavy on the sealed events (in fact, I think there was only one constructed event, which I didn't attend), but since Comic-Con gets their schedules out so late, I can't say what things will look like this year.

Quote:
3) As I know we have numerous experienced tourney players here, nay, champions, I would love some advice.

Vassal would be my best recommendation. I also don't have any DCI sanctioned or even friendly events in my area, so 80% of the games I play are on Vassal. And in the past 4 months since I've gotten it, I've improved drastically. If you're looking to practice for sealed events but don't want to spend the money, you might try talking your friends into running games based on randomly generated boosters (Bloomilk.com has a good one), assuming they have the majority of the set or can borrow a mini from somebody if necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:51 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Azrakel, thanks for the info. My friends have a pretty good collection among them, and I bolster it for needed figs and mass battles. Vassal is something I will have to get involved in for learning purposes.

Thank you very much. Hopefully I will have the opprotunity to meet you at the con. Just look for the tall, tattooed, earring wearing guy, with the long, grey shot hair. Oops, wait, that doesn't narrow it down enough. I will be the one of many of those that fit that description, that looks like he has known a woman in within the last decade. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Vassal is just a Java application, so as long as your computer can handle basic Java apps, I say give it a try. It really shouldn't be very taxing on the system at all.

Otherwise, most tournaments that are 'constructed' follow the rules in the rule book, and the DCI Floor Rules. So, if you want to spend the time reading them, I recommend you just skim through those.

Otherwise, you can take a look at some of the threads in the squad sections by the people who you know are the good, top players around here, and see what kind of squads they are suggesting. You may not end up playing against one of those, but you can bet that other people probably will, so it will give you an idea of what you're likely to face.

Any other questions, even if they're more specific than that, always just fire away. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:05 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I do browse the tourney squad forums, and the ones presented are very cool. It's the nuances of the squads I think I'm missing. I guess i'll be on Vassal this weekend.Please look for me. I'll enjoy the beatings while learning.

Thank you LoboStele.