One of The Ones

37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
34 Storm Commando x2
18 Moff Nyna Calixte (Susan Ivonava)
08 Wicket
03 Ugnaught Demolitionist

I went 3-0 with this squad today, here's the report:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3033

I think Nyna is one of the best pieces ever designed for this game. After today, I fully expect more of my local players will be bringing anti-stealth when they see me walk in for the tournament. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Imperial Superstealth
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:40 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
34 Storm Commando x2
08 Wicket

http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3033

I think Nyna is one of the best pieces ever designed for this game. After today, I fully expect more of my local players will be bringing anti-stealth when they see me walk in for the tournament. :)

Nice looking squad. I'd definitely go with Mas over Wicket so you have the board wide swap.

I love my Stormcommandos and Thrawn! :D

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
34 Storm Commando x2
08 Wicket

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3033

Nice looking squad. I'd definitely go with Mas over Wicket so you have the board wide swap.

I love my Stormcommandos and Thrawn! :D

I really didn't need board-wide swap, though. The additional +4 attack proved to be far more valuable.

(Plus, someone there had Kyle Katarn, so I was nervous about wasting 8 points on a fig that provided zero benefit; at least Wicket still had traps if Kyle got too close).

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:06 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

So would you say that the Storm Commando's are now powerful enough to be the main damage dealers in a squad? I have to say this squad looks pretty darn close to a 100 point version of Swiss Army Knife. Looks Pretty slick Dennis.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

What is Swiss Army Knife?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:24 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

SAK is Flea's creation:

Thrawn
Storm Commando x2
Mas
Grand Moff Tarkin
Stormtrooper (or RPT if you prefer)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:27 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

a 150 point squad developed by Flea, I believe,

Thrawn
Mas
2x storm commando's
Noghri Commando
Nyna
gran raider
3x Stormtroopers.

I sub the stormies out for 3 more grans and an uggy but that is a personal preferance.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
SAK is Flea's creation:

Thrawn
Storm Commando x2
Mas
Grand Moff Tarkin

Ah. I had heard the term SAK but couldn't find what that was. I knew SCs were involved, but didn't think about it being similar to mine.

I would say mine is the evolution of that squad with the new pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:29 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
a 150 point squad developed by Flea, I believe,

Thrawn
Mas
2x storm commando's
Noghri Commando
Nyna
gran raider
3x Stormtroopers.

I sub the stormies out for 3 more grans and an uggy but that is a personal preferance.

If I were going to run it at 150, I would drop the Gran and a Stormtrooper for Wicket, and try to find a way to fit Lando DS in there, too.

Wicket's traps in a SS squad is just TOO good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:37 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I dont like wicket because of the inability to swap him around. maybe that isn't a good reason, but I really hesitate before putting anything in with thrawn that cannot be swapped to saftey.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
I dont like wicket because of the inability to swap him around. maybe that isn't a good reason, but I really hesitate before putting anything in with thrawn that cannot be swapped to saftey.

I haven't had any difficulty with Wicket in SS squads. Nyna changes everything about how Wicket can be played with the Empire.

Not once did I want to swap him away. If he takes the pressure of my other pieces for 1 round while my opponent is trying to kill him, that only works to my advantage in the long run. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:47 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well I will take your advice on it the next time that I run Moff Nyna Calixte.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I hadn't thought about swaping the Stormies for Grans/Ugo in the 150 point version. It's a nice change to give you more Super Stealth, but you lose your pieces that can take potshots to eliminate opponent's Ugos, etc. that are in the way. Otherwise, those can cause a real headache for your Storm Commandos. Actually though, I found that I liked the Raxus Prime Troopers even better, as their Wall-Climber makes for an awesome way to sneak the SCs or the Noghri past your opponent and wail on a key support piece (Shaper, Commander of some sort, etc.).

In the 100 point realm, the real strength of Flea's variant is the ability to activate 3 at the beginning of a round. Barring really bad rolls, the 2 Storm Commandos can take out a full HP Boba BH at the beginning of a round. The superstealth is certainly a different, and nice variant of that. Lose the 3 activation potential, but then you force pieces like Boba BH to come all the way to you. In those cases, you can risk letting Boba have some Evade saves here and there. I'll have to look at this option.

Wicket in Imperial SS should never be a problem, as you usually are running Ugnaughts as well. So, you should have swap potential there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:47 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I don't like flea's version as much because of Tarkin. He is fragile and you have to have him in line of sight to your enemy in order for him to be effective. He just gets shot too often. Low defense Low Hp. It feels like I am giving my opponent 11 points. I don't like the piece. I would be impressed to see someone who could maneuver that piece effectively enough to make him worth putting into a squad.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I used Flea's SAK a few weeks back in a 100 point tournament at ACME and pretty much slaughtered the competition that night. Granted, nobody really knew how to play against it, but again, Tarkin is key. You can swap him into position at the very end of a round, so you don't have to worry about his fragility too much. Against a Boba BH/JWM/R2 squad, I annihlated Boba in one round because Tarkin allowed me to get 3 activations at the beginning of one round.

If you're playing against a 100 point squad, you really only need to utilize Tarkin 1 time to win the game anyways. If you can pull off a SC/Swap/SC attack at the beginning of a round, that's 120 damage (sans poor rolls). VERY few 100 point squads can come back to win a game after taking 120 damage. And most times, I've found my opponent is much more concerned with killing off the Storm Commandos than trying to kill Tarkin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:38 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
SAK is Flea's creation:

Thrawn
Storm Commando x2
Mas
Grand Moff Tarkin

Ah. I had heard the term SAK but couldn't find what that was. I knew SCs were involved, but didn't think about it being similar to mine.

I would say mine is the evolution of that squad with the new pieces.

As Lobo already pointed out, in no way is your squad the evolution of the Swiss Army Knife. They play completely differently. Tarkin is the big player of my squad. While yes, the SS is nice, it doesn't provide the sheer 1 turn damage output of the SAK. With Tarkin I can move 3 allowing my 2 SC's to dish out 120 damage. That kills Boba, Cade, etc in one turn. That is what makes the build so powerful. Yours is just a SS squad thy relies on your SCs not being shot back. The strategy is very simple of your build and allows you to be easily read in what you can do. I am not saying that your build is less powerful, or not as competitive as mine in any way it is just that your build is a completely different style as the Swiss Army Knife.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fair enough. I was just trying to give you some credit. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:02 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Haha, I don't want a Grand Moff's credit. That might get me choked by a certain Sith Lord. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:35 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Haha, I don't want a Grand Moff's credit. That might get me choked by a certain Sith Lord. ;)

Better that than a hundred ISD's bearing down on your position. :P

That's what you get when you cross a Grand Moff.

And don't EVEN make me send the Death Star after your homeworld LOL. :DS2:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:12 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Better that than a hundred ISD's bearing down on your position. :P

That's what you get when you cross a Grand Moff.

And don't EVEN make me send the Death Star after your homeworld LOL. :DS2:

It doesn't matter. We all know that little teddy bears will be your downfall. :Ewok: :D