logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: GenCon perspective from a SWM-only player?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:00 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I'm thinking of going to GenCon this year but want to get an idea of what it is like from the perspective of a SWM-only player. As in, I'd only go for any SWM events. I've heard GenCon is 4 days, are there SWM stuff on all 4 days? I've heard that there is "open" gaming where there are spots open to any type of game, and that you can play into the wee hours of the morning. I know that there are mainly 2 different types of "main games going on: League and Championship, right? What exactly are they, and which days are they on? Another big thing is what is the cost to play?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm use to going to Wizard World Chicago where we don't have this stuff. And since I'm being forced to not go to Wizard World, I figure this would be my most logical option for Conventions...

Post subject: Re: GenCon perspective from a SWM-only player?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Not sure what the exact costs will be this year, but I can tell you what they were last year. Also, know that I went only for playing SWMs. And other than a couple hours on Friday morning and Sunday afternoon where I went into the dealer hall, I did nothing but play SWM all weekend. AND I only played 2 League games. So, between noon on Thursday to noon on Sunday, there were always SWM events going on during 'normal' hours. League play typically goes from like 9 in the morning till 7 or 8 in the evening or something like that. But the tournaments usually started about 10 or so, and when one finished, within 1 or 2 hours, another one would start. And most of the tournies ran till at least midnight each night. So, figuring you should probably get at least some sleep (say, 5 to 6 hours) you could pretty much plan to minis the entire rest of the time.

Anyways, the prices were $15 for the Championship, and then $7.50 for the various constructed events. The Sealed tourney and the League were each $30, but you get two boosters with each of those too, so you're basically just buying the boosters. Actually, the Sealed might've been $35 to cover a small tourney fee. Can't remember for sure.

Anyways, GenCon should have prices for all the events up by May or so.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:42 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Last year I went to GenCon as an only Star Wars Minis player and it filled all four days.
I also went and it was my first convention.
It filled the time well.
League play is great for metting all the players on the first day.
But, after that I found my self playing in tourneys and not much league play.
You could play league all the days but I simply found tourneys more fun and competitive at the same time.
The dealer hall is a place you can easily get lost in for 2 days or so. Demoing and just sight-seeing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:22 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I, too, went almost exclusively for SWM.

I filled most of Thursday, Friday and Saturday with various tournaments. Heck, even during the tournaments, other tournaments were going on. There were lots and lots of tournament options.

Sunday, for me, was League day. I really wanted to play more League that weekend, but I kept signing up for tournaments! Since this year there's supposed to be a new set out just around the time of GenCon, I expect I'll be doing more League to snag more new pieces.

You can easily spend your whole time doing SWM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:17 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Spenc - get a avatar

I went last year and it was the first time I went to play and I was only going to play SWM. Gencon will put out a schedule in a month or so. Once they release it you can figure out your schedule and budget.

Right now I think you can get your 4 day pass for around $65 or $75. I would highly recomend the four day pass.

I found an old email where everything was listed so here you go. There was another guy running a hoth battle as well. After you read all of this and figure a four round tournament takes 5 hours to play, then you can easily see that you can fill your weekend and not leave the gaming hall. But if you do that you will really be missing out. In the exhibit hall there are tons of things to see and as Spencjedi said you could spend two days just there. In the exibit hall is an artist gallery and one artist did some of the card art for SWM. Plus you can demo some new board games and see some of the latest video games.

Of course just people watching is great fun on Saturday which is the busiest day and has the most people in costume.

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00514 Star Wars Miniatures 100-point Constructed 100-point tournament using figures from all expansions. DCI 100-point maps are legal for this event. Tournament will be 4 rounds of Swiss with prize support for all players 3-1 records or better. NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures 5 2007-08-17 10:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00517 Star Wars Miniatures 100-point Limited iPod Tournament Put together your best 100-point squad from two boosters from the Alliance and Empire expansion. All 100-point maps are legal for this event. Tournament will be Swiss rounds with a cut to top 8. Prizes for top 8 including an iPod to 1st Place! NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures 8 2007-08-17 21:00:00 >Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00518 Star Wars Miniatures 100-point

Limited iPod Tournament Finals The final 8 battle with Alliance and Empire to determine who takes home an iPod! NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures 4 2007-08-18 04:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00512 Star Wars Miniatures 150-point Constructed 150-point tournament using figures from all expansions. DCI 150-point maps will be legal for this event. Tournament will be 4 rounds of Swiss with prize support for all players 3-1 records or better. NMN -Non-Historical Miniatures 5 2007-08-16 13:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00515 Star Wars Miniatures 150-point Constructed 150-point tournament using figures from all expansions. DCI 150-point maps will be legal for this event. Tournament will be 4 rounds of Swiss with prize support for all players 3-1 records or better. NMN -Non-Historical Miniatures 5 2007-08-17 15:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00519 Star Wars Miniatures 2007 Open Championship Open to all players - no invite necessary! 150-point Assault format DCI tournament. DCI 150-point maps will be legal for this event. Tournament will be Swiss rounds depending on the number of participants with a cut to top 8. Prizes to top 16 with $5,000 being distributed to top 8. NMN Non-Historical Miniatures 10 2007-08-18 10:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00520 Star Wars Miniatures 2007 Open Championship Finals The top 8 do battle in the final confrontation to determine the 2007 Star Wars Miniatures Champion! NMN - Non-Historical
Miniatures 4 2007-08-18 20:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00513 Star Wars Miniatures 200-point Constructed 200-point tournament using figures from all expansions. DCI 200-point maps are legal for this event. Tournament will be 4 rounds of Swiss with prize support for all players 3-1 records or better. NMN -Non-Historical Miniatures 5 2007-08-16 19:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00521 Star Wars Miniatures Alliance and Empire Constructed Construct your best 100-point squad from the Alliance and Empire expansion only. All 100-point maps are legal for this event. Tournament will be 4 rounds of Swiss with prize support for all players 3-1 records or better. NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures 5 2007-08-18 15:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Game Master Not Specified SEM00113 Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game Seminar Want to find out what's on the horizon for your favorite Star Wars gaming products? Join members of WotC's R&D department (and perhaps a surprise guest from Lucasfilm Licensing) to discuss upcoming releases and continue the 30th anniversary celebration. SEM - Seminar 2
2007-08-18 10:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00524 Star Wars Miniatures Dynamic Duo Constructed Choose two characters from any expansion that equal exactly 100 points. All 100-point maps are legal for this event. Players will compete in 4 rounds of Swiss. Prize support will be for all players 3-1 records or better. NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures 5 2007-08-19 11:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00511 Star Wars Miniatures Gen Con League Using two Alliance and Empire boosters, players build a 100-point squad to determine who among the Padawans has the skill to become a Jedi Knight. Play all weekend long! NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures 80
>2007-08-16

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00516 Star Wars Miniatures Hoth Team AT-AT Challenge This event is limited to six 2-player teams. Join the fight of the Imperial force on Planet Hoth. Each team will destroy as much of the Imperial force as possible . Prize support will be for the top three teams. Hoth maps from the AT-AT Colossal Pack will be used. All figures will be provided for this event. Players must register together and pay seperately.

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00522 Star Wars Miniatures Trooper Constructed Battlefield promotion is swift and harsh. In our special 100-point tournament you can use no unique miniatures as your forces strive
to see if a hero will come to the fore and lead your forces to victory. Tournament will be 4 rounds of Swiss with prize support for all players 3-1 records or better. NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures 5 2007-08-18 19:00:00

Wizards of the Coast Alan Hockman NMN00523 Star Wars Miniatures Utinni Constructed Contruct your best of the worst in our 100-point constructed tournament. Our galactic heroes will trade squads and attempt to beat their opposition with the very worst they can band together. All 100-point maps are legal for this event. Players will compete in 4 rounds of Swiss. Prize support will be for all players 3-1 records or better. NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures 5 2007-08-19 09:00:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I wouldn't base this year off of last year. There are still going to be lots of things going on with SWM but I doubt there will be quite so many tournaments, for several reasons that I really can't go into.

League play is going to be awesome (if KotoR comes out on time and the people in charge have plenty on hand).

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:40 pm 

What exactly is League play? I think Lobo told me awhile back and I thought I remembered it, but now I really can't remember...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:15 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

jedispyder wrote:
What exactly is League play? I think Lobo told me awhile back and I thought I remembered it, but now I really can't remember...

basically
you buy 2 boosters and make a variable squad with it and register your "Open" games- between you and whomever...
you and the opponent take your results to the registration table and turn in your results-
both players geta chance to Roll for "VR/Rares and uncommons" the winner gets the better choices

its a great way to boost your collection while playing- you can then add your winnings to your figure pool for following games

Like Boris said- if the KOTOR shippments get there- it should be a great event-
if not- well you 'll be getting lots of older minis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:40 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Boris wrote:
I wouldn't base this year off of last year. There are still going to be lots of things going on with SWM but I doubt there will be quite so many tournaments, for several reasons that I really can't go into.

League play is going to be awesome (if KotoR comes out on time and the people in charge have plenty on hand).

Can you give us any hints on what might be going on?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:44 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I don't have a clue what Boris and Moses are planning, but I do know that last year, things seemed really pressed for time. I played in many of the tournaments, and other than going to the hotel to sleep at night, and a little bit of shopping in the exhibit hall on Sunday, I was in the SWM area the whole time. That said, I only got to play 2 League games the entire weekend, because I was always involved in the other tournaments. So, I won't be surprised to see the tournament schedule scaled back a little bit, but in place of it, some more encouragement to do League play.

I also remember hearing either Boris or Moses say at one point that they were considering getting rid of the 'Trooper' and 'Utinni' builds that we did last year, since those had VERY low attendance, and perhaps seeing if we could Tile Wars instead.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:16 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ok, so a couple guys in my area are thinking about going to Gen Con this year. However, we have a couple questions:

1. When is it?
2. Where is it?
3. What kind of $ are we looking at? Do you have pay an entry fee and then pay for each game you play? Not including food and lodging, about how much could we expect to pay in total?
4. How do the championships run? I heard something about top rated DCI players (not sure how high you have to be rated though) get a bye for the first round. What can you tell me about that? I'm ranked #7 in VA so far.
5. Anything we should know now before making plans to go?

Thanks in advance for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Quote:
1. When is it?

GenCon is typically the 2nd weekend in August each year. For the full info, your best source is http://www.gencon.com

Quote:
2. Where is it?

RCA Convention Center in Indianapolis, IN. Right in the heart of downtown.

Quote:
3. What kind of $ are we looking at? Do you have pay an entry fee and then pay for each game you play? Not including food and lodging, about how much could we expect to pay in total?

Kind of depends on how much you plan to do. There is a general admission badge for the convention, and I think the price on it is either $60 or $70 for the whole weekend. You can of course buy a day-badge if you're only going to be there one day. There are also fees for each individual tournament you play in. Last year, the fees were $5-$7.50 for the regular tournaments, $15 for the SWM Championships, and the $30 for either League or the Sealed Booster events (both of which you get 2 boosters for anyways, so you're mostly just buying the boosters). Also remember that you probably won't want to leave the convention halls very much, as the games and tournies often run one right after another. So food will cost you upwards of $7 a meal or so. If you intend to play in as many events as you can all weekend, I would figure between about $150 and $200 not including food and lodging, though you can pay for the con badge and most of the individual tournaments in advance, so you don't typically need to have cash like that with you unless it's for food or buying things in the vendor areas.

Quote:
4. How do the championships run? I heard something about top rated DCI players (not sure how high you have to be rated though) get a bye for the first round. What can you tell me about that? I'm ranked #7 in VA so far.

The Championship runs just like a normal DCI event, but with a LOT of people. So far, there has been nothing at all about top-ranked DCI players getting byes or anything of that sort. Honestly, a high DCI ranking just means you have played a LOT of games, not necessarily that you are an amazingly skilled player. Yes, many of the top-ranked players in the world are also very skillful players, but it is not always the case.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:41 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

dnemiller wrote:
And yes Aaron is right most of the Top rated players have skills except for the top rated one in the world that guy is an idiot

Hey now, let's not be rude. The force is strong in that guys kids (at least). :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:05 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Understood. Thanks for the info. The guy that put the Gen Con buzz in our heads thought it was in Cleveland, OH. We were planning on crashing with my brother who lives west of Pittsburgh. But, Indianapolis is a bit too far to drive from Virginia. Besides, I'll be going on a family vacation just a couple weeks before that. So, maybe next year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:25 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Skywalker2B wrote:
Understood. Thanks for the info. The guy that put the Gen Con buzz in our heads thought it was in Cleveland, OH. We were planning on crashing with my brother who lives west of Pittsburgh. But, Indianapolis is a bit too far to drive from Virginia. Besides, I'll be going on a family vacation just a couple weeks before that. So, maybe next year.

I think thats ORIGINS...
it's an "OK" event...
It used to be where All the companies showed off New games and new Product
but Gen Con has taken that spotlight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nah, ORIGINS is in Columbus. And from what I hear about it, really isn't that great in terms of SWMs the last couple years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:40 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

LoboStele wrote:
Nah, ORIGINS is in Columbus. And from what I hear about it, really isn't that great in terms of SWMs the last couple years.

Wizards pulled out 2-3 years ago. There are few (if any) SWM events.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:55 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yeah...
as I said it 'Used to be" the pace to go...

@Skywalker2B
if you like "Independent" stuff- or smaller scale stuff
What Origins always does well is the SWAG Bags
they have always given out great godies and neat collectables

I can't go this year so I have not looked much into what they have to offer
in the past one of my favorite events was the RISK adn Monopoly "Speed" tournaments :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:14 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thanks for all of the info about both Gen Con and Origins. However, I don't think I'll be making it to either one this year. Are there any SWM related events in the Virginia/Maryland/DC area? Something close that wouldn't be cost prohibitive?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:18 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I went to Origins one time 2 years ago. That was the year that Champions came out and WotC's first year they didn't show for the con. There were some bitter feelings about that by GAMA (the association that hosts the event) and I remember WotC being blamed for the DDM/SWM product not showing up.

No one wanted to take responsibility to make it right, but it later came out that whoever ordered tournament product ordered from the wrong company, which is why it didn't arrive. You can't provide something you didn't order.

Jim and I were there, and I remember Jim prattling on and on (LOL, another way to describe it is excessive venting) about what HE would have done to correct the problem. Instead, nothing was done because the TOs didn't want to spend their own money. Just a tough situation all around, and the way they handled it turned me and Jim both off to the idea of ever returning to Origins.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg