logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Stealth and Accurate Shot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:54 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

K, so maybe this is a lame question, but I think I just confused myself so I'll just ask. If a fig has stealth and cover, can anyone with accurate shot target them? Or does accurate shot only allow targeting of someone who is not the closest enemy and has cover, but not someone with stealth...A simple clarrification would be awesome :)

Post subject: Re: Stealth and Accurate Shot
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:25 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

smerd wrote:
K, so maybe this is a lame question, but I think I just confused myself so I'll just ask. If a fig has stealth and cover, can anyone with accurate shot target them? Or does accurate shot only allow targeting of someone who is not the closest enemy and has cover, but not someone with stealth...A simple clarrification would be awesome :)

Okay to start with.

Accurate Shot: (AS) This character can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy.

this ability let's the attacker attack anyone with cover.

Stealth makes it so that if the stealthy character has cover he can't be attacked outside of 6 squares away.

Hence as long as the Stealth guy has cover, and your shooter is more then 6 squares away, then NO he can't still attack. AS only let's him ignore the "nearest enemy" part of the the targeting rules when dealing with characters in cover.

Hope that clears things up for you.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Fox wrote:
smerd wrote:

Okay to start with.

Accurate Shot: (AS) This character can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy.

this ability let's the attacker attack anyone with cover.

Stealth makes it so that if the stealthy character has cover he can't be attacked outside of 6 squares away.

Hence as long as the Stealth guy has cover, and your shooter is more then 6 squares away, then NO he can't still attack. AS only let's him ignore the "nearest enemy" part of the the targeting rules when dealing with characters in cover.

Hope that clears things up for you.

This is completely wrong. Accurate Shot allows you target any enemy that you have Line Of Sight to, regardless of their status in cover. They still get the +4 to their defense if they have cover, but you CAN shoot at them. The only things that keep Accurate Shot from working are those that specifically alter other parts about the targeting rules like Super Stealth or Diplomat.

Go find one of NickName's posts (either here or on the WOTC forums) and click on the 'Stealth Guide' in his signature. It should clear most of this up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:07 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Accurate Shot: may attack an enemy even if they aren't the closest.
Stealth: While in cover and is further than 6 squares away from an enemy, is not considered the closest enemy.

Stealth merely affects how the status of whether a character is considered the closest enemy. Since Accurate ignores that, it can shoot at Stealth figures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:22 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Interesting, so basically, unless they are based, a character with Accurate Shot can shoot any target he has Line of Site to, unless that target has super stealth correct? If so I've been playing wrong for about a year lol ><

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, a Rodian Black Sun Vigo can also hose up using Accurate Shot. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head though. I'm sure I'm forgetting something though.

And don't worry about it, I'm sure that every person you talk to can tell you some rule they played wrong for quite a while. The key is that you learn the right way before you go to a big tournament or something. :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:14 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

So I did some more thinking, and I'm curious, what good is stealth then? It always seemed to me that stealth was the counter to accurate shot, if a character has accurate shot he can shooot anyone he can see even if they have cover, so I figured stealth was a way to hide from that. Now that I know that this is not the case, is stealth only for protecting you from being a legal target if you are the closest target against someone who does not have accurate shot? Seems a lot less useful to me now from what I previously thought.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:31 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

You've got it right, Stealth is only for keeping your figure from being a legal target for those without accurate. But, there are really only 24 figures with Accurate (10 of them being a version of Han Solo or Boba Fett). Most shooters don't have accurate, one of the ones I see most used is Lando DS. So I guess IMHO, Stealth is very useful.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Heh...yeah, you actually have it kind of backwards, as Accurate is the counter to Stealth. :P In turn, 'Super Stealth' ends up being a counter to Accurate Shot.

But as ChuckaFett pointed out, there aren't really that many pieces in the game with Accurate, so Stealth pieces can still be VERY useful in the right situations.

There are also some really interesting interactions with Stealth and Super Stealth where you can cause an opponent to not be able to make any attacks at all. Basically, if they are at a point where they are less than 6 squares from a Stealth piece, but not adjacent to it, then technicaly, Stealth isn't in effect (closer than 6 squares) so that piece counts as the closest target, but then again, you still can't attack it because you aren't adjacent. So there's some strange situations that you can really make work for yourself as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:24 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Ahhh okay...

So i had Accurate shot slightly askew.. But i get what your saying. heh can you say i've ran into accurate shot fig (in a moment it was relevent) a total of like.. 3 times.

But i shall remember this (makes a mental log)

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:02 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

That's funny Fox. Different metas for different venues. :P

I see Boba BH, Aurra Sing CS, or Han Scoundrel pretty much once a week from somebody, so I'm quite used to it. :P