logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: GenCon League
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:55 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Has anybody played in the Con-long league in past years? What should I expect if I'm interested? Is there space and/or opportunity to play "after hours"? I'd like something to do at night after the scheduled games are over, and between this possibility and the Board Game Room potentially being a 24hr space this year, I'd be set!

Post subject: Re: GenCon League
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

League, typically:

$30 for 2 boosters. Ignoring factions, you build your squad from the pieces in your boosters. (Presumably a 100 point squad.) BRING YOUR OWN MAP.

Then, find a league opponent and play a game. Afterward, each of you go up to the league HQ table, report the game and roll a d20. The winner rolls twice and picks the number he/she wants.

Along the table is a sheet numbered 1-20, with a mini on each number. The number rolled is the mini you get. 19 and 20 are usually reserved for R's or VR's.

The piece you get can be added to your league stuff, meaning you can redesign your squad, but still under the designated point total.

For a lot of people this is the most economical way to stockpile miniatures quickly.

League play hours are limited, however, and what will be done this year remains to be seen.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:59 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Lady Hothie and I played League at C4, and had a blast. It is a good way to get a lot of figs (she got Talon Karrde, Skiff, and a BARC), and no one cared about winning or losing, just playing and getting figs. The maps were provided. And the hours were limited to when the Wot reps (Ian) left, which was either 9 or 10.

http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I played a bit in the league last year, but might focus more on it this year with a new set release so close to GenCon.

I had a blast meeting new people. I was also able to sell or trade a bunch of extras I had accumulated over the last year.

The rules played by left me wondering sometimes, but I didn't want to upset the proverbial apple cart.

As far as the hours, I think it was from 9-5 and you could play one game after hours and report in the next morning.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:17 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

At CIV we played with Champions boosters (the newest normal set that was out) and won minis from every set that was out to that point. Until A&E was officially released at the Con at least then they set out A&E pieces as prizes. It was a great time and I plan to do it Gen Con. I kept rolling 20's for prizes, people were in awe :)

Oh the dice situation should be better here than at CIV. No one knew to bring dice so they kept borrowing ours. Someone ended up walking off with of my all time favorites :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:13 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

So, what boosters is the League using on Thursday, if Kotor comes out Friday? Are they going to be using Kotor boosters Thursday, or will they be using Legacy until Friday when Kotor officially releases? That would determine when I/we start playing league.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:33 am 
General
General

Played one game of league last year. Then I ran out of time to play it (way too much different games to play). However, if you are at Gencon to play SWM, then league is a great way to get games in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:54 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

this is probablly a stupid question. but how does league play work? are there people that schedule games once you sign up?