logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Gyaerden Map project
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:05 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Hello all,

As a SWMini player and collector, I've been a somewhat regular member of the WotC boards for a while now. I started creating maps in 2006 and do it sporadically when time allows. I have many hobbies - my wife says too many! :)

Jedicartographer started a joint map making project last year and I got involved as I felt the idea had much merit. Over time, and some tribulations, the project became mine to lead. It did pretty good at first but soon lost visibility and involvement. I'm still working on it, pretty much on my own, because I feel it's worth it. I really like the concept.

J/C has invited me to come over here, meet you guys, and share the Gyaerden Map project with you. I'm hoping there will be more interest here but be advised: with or without you, whether you root for it or not, the Gyaerden Map project will go on! (You just might have to be patient to see it come to fruition).

My next post will restate the "rules" as they had been originally established.

My third post will display the map in progress.

Post subject: Re: The Gyaerden Map project
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:09 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Rules of Engagement

Introduction

The Gyaerden project is a joint effort from custom map makers on these boards to create a series of custom maps that are playable on their own but can also be combined together to create a brand new gaming experience in an intricate and detailed world.

Everyone is welcome to participate by working on their own custom map or custom tile, offering structures, objects and textures to the group, play testing or commenting on the work that is being done.

Environment

The founders of the Gyaerden Project have elected to create a map about a planet and environment that is inspired by the Star Wars mythos without being specifically identifiable to the known planets found in the movies, comics and literature.

This approach will allow our map designers to be creative within the constraints imposed by the environment and some guidelines established in the next section.

This concept has had an immediate appeal to many SW Minis fans on the boards and another group has begun work to elaborate on this new planet and its inhabitants by creating custom characters. The following thread is where you can find their work: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D905852

Lt_Murgen has done a great job creating historical and geographical background information for this Gyaerden planet. Find his work here: http://swminisdatabase.proboards58.com/index.cgi%3Fboard%3Dgyaerdenproject.

The maps of Gyaerden are depictions of a city called Bynakron and found on a class “M” planet of the outer rim baptized Gyaerden. Bynakron is one of the largest cities on Gyaerden and, as such, is a good representation of the convergence between environment and technology that the inhabitants of the planet favor. The maps will represent Bynakron as it was during the Clone Wars period.

Having experienced first hand the horrors of environmental catastrophes caused by mass industrialization and consumption, Gyaerden was barely saved through its technological and social advancements. Its atmosphere was ultimately destroyed but eventually replaced by a very thin layer of artificial atmosphere called artisphere. This artisphere is maintained by a series of field generators dispersed throughout the cities of Gyaerden.

As such, flight over its cities is prohibited and none may enter other than going through the special gates built for that purpose and positioned in key locations around the city limits. All buildings must be built low and energy efficient.

As a general rule, Bynakron is kept clean and contains numerous parks and plant life, contributing to a healthy environment and helping to maintain the purity of the artisphere.

However, while the atmosphere was being regenerated, most cities moved underground due to the high radiation levels on the surface caused by the thin atmosphere. As the atmosphere was restored, more and more buildings began springing up just outside these underground cities. Much of the current day Bynakron surround the remnants of ancient Bynakron, called the Lower City or Lower Bynakron, burrowed into the Tall Cliffs to the East.

Map Rules

Standard map rules promoted by WotC apply. Red lines for wall, green for cover, etc.

Each map is 22 inches wide by 34 inches high.

Each map represents a slot in the overall layout shown below. Streets must align perfectly with the other maps and as such must be positioned exactly as specified in the overall layout.

The rightmost map layouts are used to represent the Lower City. Those maps are subterranean city maps and the connecting street typically ends near the left edge of the map.

Some other maps are identified as potential outskirt maps. As such, they still need to connect to an existing map layout using the standard street connector, but the map must also include a gate as it provides an exit out of the city. An outskirt map does not represent Bynakron and the map maker can pretty much represent any landscape.

Connecting streets are 3 inches wide and must include 1 square of sidewalk on each side. The sidewalks and streets must use specific textures found in the downloadable kits listed in the next section.

The map maker can “sign” his work in the 2 rightmost squares at the very bottom of the map.

All situational text on the maps must be white and use the Bank Gothic font in size 36. This text is shadowed at a 45 degree angle, in a top left to bottom right direction, offset horizontally and vertically by 3 pixels with the following attributes: Blur 5; Darkness 90 and Opacity 75.

All buildings must be show without a roof and be fully accessible for improved game play.

Objects are designed at 150dpi and presented primarily as a .JPG, but also as a .PSP (Paint Shop Pro), .PSF (PhotoStudio) or .PSD (PhotoShop).

Each object must be outlined by a dark line of 3 pixels to give it a WotC “feel”. No shadowing is to be used on objects as they may be rotated, resized and placed in different ways by the map makers.

**Edited**
Outside shadows for low objects must be at a 45 degree angle, in a top left to bottom right direction. Outside shadows for higher objects such as walls and vehicles must be at a 45 degree angle, in a top left to bottom right direction, offset horizontally and vertically by 5 pixels with the flowing attributes: Blur 15; Darkness 90 and Opacity 75. A second shadowing layer must be added with the same attributes but offset horizontally and vertically by 15 pixels. Shadows for the inside of buildings are left to the discretion of the map makers as it depends on the kind of lighting they wish to use.
**End edit**

Each map maker will pick a theme for his/her map to avoid duplication. Some theme examples are cantina, industrial area, residential neighborhood, forested park or, for an outskirt map, junk yard, ruins, etc.

Another possibility is for one map maker to pick a layout and theme but team up with other artists to create their map in 8”x11” tiles. These tiles would then be assembled back together to create one 22”x34” map. This approach is classified as a sub-project of the Gyaerden project.

Mandatory Textures and Objects

The main elements that represent the city of Bynakron, such as streets, sidewalks, ordnance and government facilities, must be shared by the group. Those objects are common to all the maps and are kept in a Gyaerden Object Library maintained by Jedicartographer. They must be used by anyone building a map or tile.

At this time, those include streets, a grass texture, a city bench, an artisphere generator, a city gate, walls and a gatehouse.

The following designs have been completed:

Wall structure: http://www.cdt.qc.ca/SW/WallKit.zip

Each gate must be enclosed between the walls of the city and include a gatehouse.
Gate elements: http://www.cdt.qc.ca/SW/GateKit.zip

Streets: http://www.cdt.qc.ca/SW/StreetKit.zip

Underground streets: Upcoming.

Other project considerations

To help beginners get involved with map making, you can make a request for a partial map from one of the resident map makers. We’ll assign a slot from the overall layout to your map and someone will prepare one to the level of completion you require. You would typically get a grid, streets and some other basic elements. Wall layouts can also be included.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:11 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Allright. So here's part B of the Bynakron map that I am currently working on. I will soon complete the office in the Cyborg Implant Shop (top) and then probably work on the operation and waking rooms (top left).

The display room of the Implant Shop will be difficult cause I want to show numerous implants in display cases. Not sure how to make or where to find those implants... yet.

Hope you like it so far and thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:02 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

welcome to the site!!! Hope the project gets finished :)

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:52 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I like what I am seeing so far. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:08 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Looks cool!

I don't have access (or the skills, lol) to Photoshop or PSP to do this type of stuff, but man I wish I could.

I could, however, help with creating ideas for map layout. If you gave me a 34x22 grid of 1 inch squares, I could use PaintBrush or something like that to detail out the entire map in just the colored lines. Then somebody else could be creative and come in and add all the artwork.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:05 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I will finish this map and eventually make at least another one. I already have a couple ideas brewing... :)

LoboSteele, let me know if this link works for you:
http://www.cdt.qc.ca/SW/22x34grid.jpg

The jpg should print on an 11 by 14 page. I hope. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:56 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I'm so glad your hear C-Dragon.

As soon as I'm done with the Map pack, I will complete the map I promised.

Also, I will transfer all my map objects into Portable network graphics(PNGS) and dontate them into a standardized object kit for anyone who want to use GIMP for making a map.

I Gotta tell you Sly, you are quickly making a name for yourself, as one of the gret custom map makers. Keep it up. :)

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:48 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

God if i had a week free I'd gladly help out on his.

Very cool project.

[spoiler="crap"]
Quote:
MediocreMind
Support bacteria - it's the only culture some people have!

Code:
DCI Ranking
Star Wars Miniatures Constructed (as of 2008-09-15)
1826 rating   64 matches   21 events   
    37  All   33  North America   7  Canada   1  CA-Ontario   
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:06 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Glad to see this didn't die after all. I lost track of it once my company's site started blocking Gleemax.

I'm not much of a graphics person, but I CERTAINLY will put in my input on what might look cool.

Basic Studies: 397/540 [RS:51/60, CS:41/60, SITH:47/60, UNV:46/60, COTF:54/60, BH:51/60, AE:51/60, FU:51/60, LF:51/60]
Advanced: 47/102 [ATAT:1/1, ENDOR:4/4, R&I:5/24, SS2007:6/6, HBP:17/17; PROMOS 14/60]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:11 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words. It's a good boost to keep up the work. I've been travelling more lately so I have more time to work on the project at night while at the hotel. Worked on it again tonight. I finished the operating room. I'll move on to the Waking Room next.

A really big challenge coming up is the Show Room. I want to show cyborg parts in glass displays and that will probably be something. Don't know if I'll be able to find good looking graphics for this or if I'll have to create them myself.

Then some more touch ups outside - adding cars and other objects for instance, and the map will be soon finished!

I already have other ideas for the next map but I'm torn between starting a new one or going back to a writing project I put aside some time ago. :?

I'll be updating the link soon to show you how it looks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:42 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Updated!

Please scroll back up to post #3 to see the map as it stands now.

I need cyborg parts for my show room. If you have any, I'm buying! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:47 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Hey Sly,

Looking pretty good, just a few minor issues.

1. Maybe put a little drop shadow on those map objects, It will help bring the map to life, with a little 3D flavor.

2. The big Cybercorp thing looks a little weird, maybe get rid of it and replace it with AURABESH, the star wars font. You can google Fonts, Aurabesh and can find it

3. I can helpyou with the showroom glass, just gimme a day or to to figure out in words how I do it.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:31 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Hi J/C,

All my objects have shadow but it depends on the angle of the lights. Some shadows are small, others a little bigger.

Also, come to think of it, I don't think I've done the shadows on the glass displays yet. That's still a work in progress anyway.

My idea for the glass was to blur the objects underneath it. Whatever other tips you can provide will be welcome.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sly.