logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Can HAL make a comeback?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

For reference, HAL is an acronym referring to a squad from the Universe days that ran Han RH, Aurra Sing, and Lobot, a once-upon-a-time popular squad in Gambit venues because of its ability to deal with "camping" Vader JH somewhat effectively.

So I was looking through my stuff and wondered can a HAL style squad be good again?

This is what I started with:

Han Solo, Rebel Hero
Aurra Sing
C3P0&R2
Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

To me, that squad doesn't carry enough firepower, so I dropped R2P0 and added Lando, Dashing Scoundrel. Then, I wondered if Aurra was really the right choice, and with my remaining point switched her out for Boba Enforcer.

So this is what I played on Vassal:
Han RH
Boba E
Lando DS
Ugnaught x3

It was a close hard-fought game, much closer than I would have liked, against a team of stealth moving melee attackers backed up by an Ithorian Commander.

Boba was forced to missile at one point while he was adjacent to 2 enemies. He killed 2 of 3 enemies in the process, but I failed his save as well, so he also died.

Han died shortly after, and Lando fell to a lucky crit on an aoo as he was attempting to escape the Ithorian Commander.

So, what changes would you suggest to make this squad competitive? Can it be competitive? Please explain answers. Thanks.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Can HAL make a comeback?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:51 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

HAL can definitely make a comeback. The chance to do 70 damage to an unactivated Jedi in two activations can't be overlooked. Plus, with Lobot in there the squad's just going to get better the more minis come out.

Perhaps with Juno for some swarm support? Or maybe you could throw in a few MCTSs for Combining fire with. Lobot is probably still the best choice, he's just such a utility piece I can't think of an alternative.

Last edited by adder on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

adder wrote:
HAL can definitely make a comeback. The chance to do 70 damage to an unactivated Jedi in two activations can't be overlooked. Plus, with Lobot in there the squad's just going to get better the more minis come out.

Perhaps with Juno for some swarm support? Or maybe you could throw in a few MCTSs for Combining fire with. Lobot is probably still be the best choice, he's just such a utility piece I can't think of an alternative.

70 damage off of 2 hits assuming you win initiative and are attacking a Jedi will NOT carry a squad.

Can HAL deal with Bane? No, the damage output is just too low. Can it take on 3x JWM's? Probably not, assuming it makes a deflect or two. Swarms? I doubt it. You are outactivated and unable to do mass damage.

I just see it as a squad that won't be great anymore. It was once, but the lack of damage output is just too low.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:03 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

thejumpingflea wrote:
70 damage off of 2 hits assuming you win initiative and are attacking a Jedi will NOT carry a squad.

Almost all 100 point squads are dependant on init, this squad is no different.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:22 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

adder wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Almost all 100 point squads are dependant on init, this squad is no different.

Other then the fact that against non-force users HALF of its damage potential comes from a won initiative. Bane doesn't need that, nor do most squads even at 100 points.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:21 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thejumpingflea wrote:
adder wrote:
I just see it as a squad that won't be great anymore. It was once, but the lack of damage output is just too low.

I'm not talking about playing HAL as it was in Universe; I'm talking about a modified, updated version.

Think of it as Hal 2.0. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:49 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Boris wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
adder wrote:

I'm not talking about playing HAL as it was in Universe; I'm talking about a modified, updated version.

Think of it as Hal 2.0. :)

Yes, I know. Adder was speaking of the original HAL though.

I think that Han RH, Aurra and another solid shooter such as Lando DS, Luke HPU (May be a good option, although no door control worries me!) or something like 2 Rauntauns could be good. (The Tauns give you a possible 110 damage of one won initiative)

Truthfully I would go with something similar in playstyle, but without Aurra or Lobot. Something like this:

Han RH
Luke HPU
Lando DS
Rauntaun
Uggo x2

That gives you activations, init control, damage output and survivability in one package at 100.