logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Tactics with Muun squads
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, so at our LGS this Sunday we're doing a special 'countdown to the New Year' build. Everyone will have a squad of 208 points (get it? like 2008 :P), but each squad must contain a Muun Tactics Broker. So, basically it's a 200 point squad, with the MTB tacked onto the end. Yes, I know it sounds kind of silly, but we like to do odd things now and then at this one store.

So, I'm trying to think of all the different strategies that could be used here, and then figure out what squad would be best. There's a few pretty obvious ones, but I'll try to list everything I've thought of so far.

1. Nom Bombs: Obviously, using the MTB to blow your own bombs is a popular tactic.
2. Ugo Bombs: Some form of using the Ugnaught Boss and Ugos to make pretty explosions. Not as much Self-Destruct damage as a Nom build, but similar effect, and you get crazy door control by having lots of Ugos everywhere. This is a cheaper combination than Nom as well, which makes up a little for the lack of damage output.
3. Recon: Since both players will have an MTB, the first result will be that both players have to re-roll. So, Recon will help you win init after the tie.
4. Master Tactician: Similar to what I mentioned with Recon. So long as you don't roll a 1 after the tie, you'll have some easy initiative control.
5. Han Rogue: Will Negate the MTB, Master Tactician, and/or Recon on your opponent's squad. This should give you almost guaranteed initiative control. Biggest downside to this is strategy #6.
6. San Hill and/or Nute Gunray. Kill off your own MTB in the first round. If your opponent keeps their MTB around, then you get 20-40 points of free pieces EVERY round.

OK, so am I missing any key strategies here? The biggest one that I think would be annoying would by San Hill, so if the San player kills off their MTB in the first round, you'll want to do the same. But the San player might not kill their MTB, and if you kill yours in the first round, and the San player doesn't, then he'll be winning initiative the rest of the game (barring a roll of natural 1, forcing the re-roll anyways).

I'm thinking Han Rogue is the best overall choice here, because it will negate MTB, MT, and Recon. If the opponent has San, then just kill your own MTB, or deal with the reinforcements as necessary. However, I do like the idea of Thrawn or Revan as well.

Post subject: Re: Tactics with Muun squads
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:39 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Heh, so Han Rogue proved to be a good choice for these games. Granted, I only got to play one match in this format, because there was some general confusion about what exactly the plan was supposed to be for that day. But it was somewhat funny because when I played against Madman, he was running a very similar squad to mine, but he had Han RH instead of Han Rogue. Well, that meant I got to go first every round and so my Boba Merc tore up Han RH, and killed him by the beginning of Round 2.

Was an interesting format to try out, that's for sure!