logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Swiss Army Knife
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:46 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Ok- So I know that this squad is very commander heavy and that my main attackers each have only 40 HP. That said I think that this squad has some potential.

Swiss Army Knife- http://www.swshoebox.com/displaySquad.cfm?getSquad=fixed&arg=66150

Grand Admiral Thrawn/Mas 45
Storm Commando x2 34
Grand Moff Tarkin 11
Stormtrooper x2 10

TOTAL-100 with 7 activations

Ok so the primary goal of this squad is to play very carefully. With only 40 HP accurate shooters will pick off these Commandos quickly. If you can keep them safe however, you can lay on 120 damage in one round. How you do this is explained in my thread of Blue Storm. This squad has 2 Satchel Charges to take care of override and it has many options with its SA's and CE's (Hence the name). With Grenades, Stealth, Tarkins CE, Thrawns Swap, Yslamari, Master Tactition and the Commandos dishing out 60 dmg a turn, you can perform manuevers that can take out characters quickly. I playtested this with DLV on Death Star and he played a Han Cannon varient. With the proper placement and swapping I managed to take out Leia early on. Than late in the game I based the SC a with his R2PO and Han. With Tarkins CE I managed to kill R2P0 and lay 60 on Han with my 2 Commandos. I won that match needless to say. (Well played game by Zack) I have also played the following builds and won

JWM Swarm
Han Swarm
HAL
Exar
Han Cannon
Mandos
Bacara SS

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:54 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Deadly as hell... however, I do think it comes down to playing it just right. This squad is NOT forgiving... if you blow it, you die. I'm ok with that though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:42 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like this squad, its nasty and probably a top a meta squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:36 am 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

How did you beat the JWM swarm? Seem like all they'd have to do is rush the commandos and hit them with a LA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:02 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

homer_sapien wrote:
How did you beat the JWM swarm? Seem like all they'd have to do is rush the commandos and hit them with a LA.

Thrawn is how. JWMs are pretty weak without their fps.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:09 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

billiv15 wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:

While a text-book answer......I don't think so. If that were the case i think we would have seen something of Thrawn at Gencon. With Thrawn being shut out of the top8 and the JWMs dominating, i don't think he is a 'great' key to them.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:29 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sithdragon13 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:

While a text-book answer......I don't think so. If that were the case i think we would have seen something of Thrawn at Gencon. With Thrawn being shut out of the top8 and the JWMs dominating, i don't think he is a 'great' key to them.

JWM's are VERY weak without their FP's. With no initiative control, low activations and the inability to base and kill the JWM's fall VERY quickly to Thrawn. Swappage also SEVERLY hinders the JWM's. Thrawn is used as a meatshield when the going gets very rough as he can tie up a JWM or 2 for a couple turns.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:04 pm 

Sithdragon13 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:

I disagree. Boba BH and the map selections (note I said selections not options) made Thrawn a rough choice. Not JWMs. I have beaten JWM swarms with LV B&B many times by using thrawn offensively. However, when faced with Mustafar (or Geonosis) and melee against Boba BH thrawn isnt a big help.

However, this is also a 100pt build. In which case this makes a huge difference. Try playing this one out Sith, I think you will see how quickly 2 SCs can take out 3 JWMs with thrawns help on most maps.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:58 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

It's cool to bring Thrawn in the low point format where he was almost absent before. Good squad!

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject: swiss
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:33 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

In the last month I have seen/played thejumpingflea while he was using this squad. Since the knifes can move so far in one turn, it can have a chance at basing a han or luke in a cannon squad and kill or severely wound them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:04 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dnemiller wrote:
I cannot see why JWM;s would not get torn apart.... keep the SC'c in the bubble they cannot deflect and with winning init you are talking about needing only a 6 to hit them for a possible 30 dmg each shot.... no deflect and it seems like they would go down fast

As they do :D

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:36 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I am planning on using this at my next tourny. I will post results afterwards. I think that this squads versitality allows it to compete with anything. Thanks for all the comments thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:30 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

this looks good, I can't say that enough. I like how this can take down a JWM if you play it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:13 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

homer_sapien wrote:

unless the SC's are within 6 of thrawn and the JWM's are inside thrawn's bubble, then they can't LA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:42 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Xanthan wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:

unless the SC's are within 6 of thrawn and the JWM's are inside thrawn's bubble, then they can't LA.

And even if they do, they need to roll 8's to hit them. Odd's are that they won't hit both!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:23 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Xanthan wrote:
homer_sapien wrote:

It's a beautiful thing that this can take a JWM squad, with the swiss army knife.