logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Is Boba BH Broken?
Total votes : 0

Post subject: Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter-Broken, The Debate.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:28 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Now Boba BH
All these abilities, for only 62 points...
Boba BH can Pop out of hiding, deal 40 damage with no real strain and having 5%-5% chance of instantly killing whoever he's shooting. Then move back with Mobile Attack and Flight where no-one can see him. Have a swarm squad? Well Boba BH has a cure for that as well, Flamethrowing 20, killing almost any swarm piece(not the ability swarm, the squad type.) instantly. Now even if you manage to get a shot, Boba BH has evade, giving him a 50% chance of taking NOTHING. Basing him with your Melee piece? He can just move away freely with his Flight.
He also has accurate, giving him the pick of the litter.
I can count over 12 people I know who stopped playing alot because of him, or just flat out quit. Now i ask you...

Post subject: Re: Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter-Broken, The Debate.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:49 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I don't really think Boba Fett Bounty Hunter is broken. For a 62 point shooter, he should be able to do a lot, evade, flame, twin. For 62 points his damage output isn't that high. Evade can be annyoying, but its only a 50 percent chance, the other 50 percent chance is that the shot get through. Disintegration can be a problem, but you could always put a Twilek Bodyguard or 2 to fix your problem, whether the Twilek is part of the squad build or part of lobot's reinforcements. Flamethrower 20 isn't going to completely shut down a well played swarm squad. They can spread out their pieces so they aren't adjacent to each other, that way if boba uses flamethrower, it'll only kill 1 fig. Some of the force powers out there also help a lot against Boba Fett BH, such as Force push and repulse. Twin attacking melees aren't faced with the problem of flight either. :lsfight: :vader:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:00 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The only problem to BH is the disintegration and how that works with other pieces. If squads were meant to be run as 125 vs 200 the game would be set up that way. Change or remove disintegration and he is just fine.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:04 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Strong piece, no doubt. However, the meta has adapted, and many pieces have come out to counter him. Disentegration is always worrisome, but when it does come, it is still rarely that it does more damage than what a crit would've done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:05 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

I agree, but the point is with Disnt and all the others stacked, it makes it too unfair-IE:broken.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:05 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

nope; he's not broken at all

slightly undercosted yea i think so, but he is not unbeatable

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:26 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
I agree, but the point is with Disnt and all the others stacked, it makes it too unfair-IE:broken.

You can easily counter the Big D with bodyguards. As you can counter almost anything, thats why I don't think any figure is broken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:16 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I think Hes a beast of a piece but nothing thats cant be handeled with the right strategy. I agree with the fact that all his abilities together make make him one cheap mother and the fact that he is under cost by a little, but he hasnt ruined the game, like all pieces that are thought to be "broken" ways are found to counter said piece. All in all hes a dangerous figure but not broken in the sense that he hes way out of proportion for his point cost.

:maul:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:46 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

:boba: I voted no.

I don't deny that he's a powerful piece, and very good for his cost, but not broken.

I rarely play Boba BH because he is good. Although when playing him it's all to easy to get complacent with his abilities. He also becomes a big target and you can guarantee in B&B he'll be charged down early on. So he can be a big liability to your squad in some ways.

I only have one real gripe with the stats though, in that I see Jango Fett as the better of the two Fetts and therefore it should be Jango that is the uber-piece, not Mr. I can't hit the side of a Sail Barge hit me with a stick and I die Fett. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:07 am 
General
General

I cannot participate in your poll because neither of the black-and-white options you've given us adequately describes my feelings. I believe that for the points, the combo of abilities along with the (IMHO) absurdity that Disint cannot be blocked or evaded makes him somewhat under-costed and somewhat emasculating to play against, although I cannot state That I've had any problem against him, firsthand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:50 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Gotta go with 'No' as I really don't think he's so bad any more. When he first came out? Yeah, he was annoying. Even without Disintegration, he's a decent piece. But like somebody else pointed out, for a 62 point piece, 40 damage a round isn't that much. Frankly, I'm more worried by Mara Jade Jedi. She's 17 points cheaper, can do 40 damage a round at range, but can do 120 damage up close.

Besides, there are so many different ways to beat Boba BH now, that it doesn't even bother me. Heck, for the same 62 points, Piett and 3 Evo Troopers can kill Fett BH in one round. And without needing stellar rolls either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:50 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

With all the movement breakers out there, I'd say no. His Evade/MobileTwin is less impressive today than it was when it was released.

He's a gambling piece, not worth 62 points without the big D, but if you get a Disintegration, he may have 1-shotted his points and you're well ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:17 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I'd say no....hes a toughy but not broken.

If you think so I'd have to counter with an old Warmachine adage: "The whole game is broken, so nothing is broken"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Broken, no way. To me broken means the time clock is ticking on when I will lose and that is if I have a squad designed to specifically deal with the piece and and I do not see any pieces like that in SWM's. Annoyingly difficult, make me have to think, can combine fire with my entire squad and still miss-- yes. Broken, no.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:27 pm 
General
General

Xanthan wrote:
DarkLordVerjal wrote:

You can easily counter the Big D with bodyguards. As you can counter almost anything, thats why I don't think any figure is broken.

You are flat out wrong that bodyguards can 'easily' counter ANYTHING in the game nowadays. Repulse alone makes bodyguarding next to useless. Yes, if you have Lobot and you see the opponent's squad only contains Boba and few other area effect characters, then you can counter it (for a bit). Once Han cunnings or Sev deadeyes or some other accurate 30 damage character takes out the BG, you are not saving your big beasty from the big D.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:32 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

emr131 wrote:
Xanthan wrote:
DarkLordVerjal wrote:

You are flat out wrong that bodyguards can 'easily' counter ANYTHING in the game nowadays. Repulse alone makes bodyguarding next to useless. Yes, if you have Lobot and you see the opponent's squad only contains Boba and few other area effect characters, then you can counter it (for a bit). Once Han cunnings or Sev deadeyes or some other accurate 30 damage character takes out the BG, you are not saving your big beasty from the big D.

You misunderstood me. I meant that you can counter Boba BH with bodyguards. I never meant that bodyguards can counter everything. I was stating that most figures can be countered, not neccesarily by bodyguards, just in general.Your right that accurate shooters can cause problems for bodyguards, thats why I would bring them in with Lobot, usually I would bring in 2 Twilek bodyguards with Lobot if my opponent's squad has Boba BH.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:38 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

He's not broken, he's just undercosted.

He has a lot of stuff for 62 points, I'll say that. He has mobile, flight, and evade.

A huge problem, though, is that you start relying on Disintegration, which is never a good thing. Plus, he can only dish out 40 damage per turn.

Essentially, he's a nuisance, and he's only 'broken' because people don't know how to counter him properly. I don't know how, but I'm sure that I could.
If I wanted something that could dish out 40 damage per turn, I'd go get some Evo Troopers and Piett. At least, then I'd have some init control.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:54 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

My opinion is he is broken, with disntigration on his stats. That with everything combined makes him broken. Now take away Disnt, and I say he is a powerful shooter piece, possibly the best out there, nothing more. I am getting him soon in the mail as a Birthday present(along with jango BH :D ) and I plan on using him. But when I do, I'm going to clearly state at the begining of the match that Disnt won't count and any crit will be treated as normal. Now if my opponent Objects to this, I will be disappointed. Nothing ruins a match more then Coffee spilt on the cards(damn dogs) OR Having a Big D from Boba BH.

*Boba BH Big D Re-actment*
:boba:+Crit= ~DSBoom =Image

*yay, found a reason to use the smilies! :vader: *

@Aeimnestus, Most players can counter Boba BH. I myself can and have done it a number of times, mostly because all my squads contain lobot.(he's just so useful!) Reinforcements bring in activations -out activate run up and stay out of los while still having people back to keep cover fire. Granted there are some of those times I played someone who's amazingly good....Where I can't counter them because they're already 2 steps ahead of my plan. I can't even say how many times I played Bill, or Dean, Flea(ect-ect) where I had thought 'wow, I have him now!' and it turns out he has a bunch of aces up his sleeve and I get destroyed. Then you factor in the Big D, plan to counter as much as you want, when it comes, it's a shock. Sometimes you may waste a bunch of pts trying to counter it and nothing happens, and others you think it won't happen and it all of a sudden Big D. May be an ugnaught, may be your main piece. It's completely random, and hard at best to plan for.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:00 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The random factor, IMO, is what keeps him from being broken though. Take Boba Merc for instance. You pair him with a MTB, some Ugos, and a Gonk or Two, and you can do 90-120 damage in one activation. And there is virtually nothing you can do to defend against it, except for staying completely out of LOS. At least with Disintegration you know that the odds are in your favor that he won't get a Disint.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:12 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Love merc, he requires more skill to play. But yea he is such a beast.