logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

What, random threads devolving in a myname vs Galbraithe war doesn't entertain you? That is about the main reason I explore the custom forum right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:42 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

And thats exactly whats wrong with them!

I think very highly of myname. Its a real shame that he carries himself that way.

In fact that was another brick in the wall fo rme the Myname/gailbraithe crisis.

It uses to be that we all kinda helped each other out. now its a competetion to have your thread as the top post.

the ironic thing is most of those people are grown men acting like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:03 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Jedicartographer, your maps are really great :D. Do they really cost $30 from the CafePress???

http://swminisdatabase.proboards58.com/index.cgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:46 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Yoda of the Database wrote:
Do they really cost $30 from the CafePress???

No, but I don't live in the US so I get to pay more. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:34 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Yoda of the Database wrote:
Jedicartographer, your maps are really great :D. Do they really cost $30 from the CafePress???

lol, I may be a jerk, but I'm not a F#^@%#* jerk!

there as cheap as I can get them, 17.99 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:10 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

That is still a lot for a map.. They are really cool maps, just $18 is more than what I can buy an Attack on Endar Set on Ebay (with 2 Double Sided Maps) and AT-ST.

They are really good maps :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:51 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I agree it’s a lot to pay, too much to pay. I think 8 to 10 dollars is a fair price. Here are factors that should be considered however.

The print quality, packaging and paper vastly surpass the folded up maps you get through wizards. The individual craftsmanship of some of the custom maps sometimes surpass the actual quality of official maps. I think New Republic Outpost, along with Several other maps, actually accomplish this.

I would mass produce my maps and sell them at 8 dollars apiece if I knew anyone would actually buy them. That’s a lot of money for me to spend to not break even.

Thanks for the kind word regarding my maps. I’ve got several more in the works over the next months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:34 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Just woundering, how many maps do you have make to mass produce them at $8?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:11 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

This one website I’m looking at, you can get 1000 folded, double sided printed maps for about 1700 dollars total. That comes to about 1.75 a map. That’s tax, postage and everything.

The Problem is I don’t know 1000 people who’d give me 1.75 plus pay for postage and handling to get the maps out.

I guess I could curb the expense buy selling them to comic book stores, but still not a smart investment for me. That’s when a little hobby becomes possible copyright infringement as well!!
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:12 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

While I agree that the negative comments and criticism can be over the top, especially for a hobby which provides people with FREE maps, I wouldn't take it personally at all. Most people don't realize how much work goes into producing a map (especially a lot of the younger board members over at WotC) and therefore don't understand how frustrating it can be to have that work critiqued to death.

The most important thing is that if you enjoy making them, keep at it. You get to play on them, people get to download them, your skill continues to grow, and the game is better for it. I always make maps with the mindset that I'm creating this for myself, I just happen to make it available for everyone else. Take or leave whatever criticism you wish.

If you do have any questions re: maps, Photoshop, etc. feel free to e-mail me at chris@captainblasto.com. If it takes a bit to get back to you, please understand my job (film) is project based, so I disappear into work for a while and then reemerge (which is why I only get the chance to make a map every 6-8 months).

And remember, you're an excellent map artist, don't let a group of middle schoolers convince you otherwise. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:14 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I will voice my support for you JC.

I have seen your maps and if I were buying non-Wotc maps I would put a couple of yours on my list.

I know you are not making a profit so this is not aimed at you, but $18.00 is a little too much for me. Now $1.75, put me as a buyer of 3 of those.

Only 997 more sales to go!!

Maybe. Just maybe my boys can protect the book. Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:02 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Wow...Cpreksta just called me an excellent mapmaker. Thats abit like the time Jimi Hendrix called me an excellent guitar player. Thanks! And I will email you with a bunch of questions soon.

To Chuck, Prices for Custom maps are a huge issue. point in case, out of all the maps I've made, I've only actually bought 3 of them. THe others Ive made black and white ones at my work and used Highliters to mark the terrain.

What ever I can do to make it cheap for people I will do. Once I find something I will most definetley let the community know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:19 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Yeah I wholeheartedly agree, as an artist myself I know the power and effect criticism and praise has on the attitude of the piece and the work as a whole, and I believe that you are an amazing artist (ESPECIALLY amazing seeing that you have no t proffesionao training) and I am glad to be a comrad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:34 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

You know what, I have never purchased a fan map before, but from what I have seen, yours are excellent. I will buy one, especially if you decide to mass print them. Either way, I'm sorry people turned you off, thats ridiculous. You know I can feel your pain :)

I think your maps are great and I am glad to have you aboard.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject: Re: No longer a member of the Wizards Community.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:59 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'm coming into this discussion a little late ... but I'd like to thank JediC for making great maps ... I've bought 3 maps from CafePress and have a blast using them ...

18 Bucks is a little steep ... but I love having multiple options for maps as well as squads ... so its well worth it to me. Like others have said, you make some great 'huge' friendly maps which is also key to me, because most of the wotc huge friendlies are horrendously boring or just simply bad to play on.

Thanks again

Post subject: Re: No longer a member of the Wizards Community.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:43 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

You do have good maps, and the general nature of the WotC boards made me dislike that board rather quickly, instead I went to starwarsminigames. I haven't regretted it since, however due to slump not a lot is happening. So, I've decided to post here as well. Of course, I can't say that I was ever part of the Wizards Community, but I do wish to become part of the SWM community.