logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: perfect blend of force and damage
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:12 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

What do you guys think to be the perfect blend of damage done through force powers and damage do e through attacking is? Someone like VAR is not very good when he doesn't have access to all of his pushing abilities. Do you think he is worth it? Shaak Ti on the other hand can do a great amount of damage without her force powers. Is she worth it? Then there is the likes of Obi U. He is a decent piece in damage without his force and he has some useful FP's. Is he worth it over Shaak or VAR?

What I am trying to get at is how do you best prepare a squad to abuse its FP's but not being severely disabled when you have no access to those FP's?

Here is what I have as a base for a 150 point squad that is designed to perform well in as many situations as it can.

Luke HPU 28
Obi U 44
Princess Leia 20
Han Rogue 30
Rauntaun 13
R2 8
Uggo x2 6

So I am trying to get the perfect blend of damage via Force and damage via attacking. What do you guys think is the best blend (or do you even think that they need a blend?)

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:38 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I've found that lately, at 150, having Luke HPU in my build works REALLY well. I'm sure you can make have more force powers work in your builds, but HPU in a mobile shooting squad has been one of my favorite builds post TFU.

Renewal + FP4 + decent shooting abilitites for 28 points... so nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:42 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Characters that rely on shooting can be countered by Evade, but with proper play hopefully that can be overcome. Characters that rely on Force (ex: VAR) can be completely countered by a Vong squad or a good Thrawn player. Everything needs to be balanced, no only Force squads and no only shooter squads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:06 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Using figures with multiple purposes is often a solid strategy. Example, Luke HPU can shoot when not pushing, that keeps him useful beyond the gimmick. VAR, can work as a nice tank with his 22/26 defense as well as a pusher/activator. The key is often understanding what options you will have in a given squad, and how those options will play out in varying matchups. Its always good to cover as many bases as you reasonbly can without sacrificing your strengths.

For example, you dont want to run Master Kota as an offensive piece. Sure, it can be a fun gimmick, but it wont work. You have to take advantage of his commander effect, and use his repulse as the game winner late.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:49 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Finding a good blend of melee and non-melee and force powers is a great idea. Usually squads that rely more on only one of these three will cause the squad to have more weaknesses.