logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SW Best place its ever been?
Total votes : 0

Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Star Wars in the best place its ever been?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:37 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 167
Is this game right now in the best place its been in since its inception?

I can't recall a time when I've thought there was more balance in the game.

I think everyone is getting what they want out of it.

The only real things lacking are maps and rules updates IMO.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars in the best place its ever been?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:45 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 7960
Location: West Chester, OH (near Cincinnati)
Lord_Nihl wrote:
The only real things lacking are maps and rules updates IMO.


I'll agree with you on this one, for sure.

Could use a little more support for the NR, OR, Mando, and Vong, but as it stands right now, it really isn't too bad. The game definitely does seem more balanced when considering the other things. Just the fact that people are talking about taking squads anywhere between 7 and 20 activations for 200 point games is amazing.

_________________
-Aaron
Mand'alor
"You either die a hero, or you live to see yourself become the villain."
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:29 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:25 pm
Posts: 769
Location: QC, AZ
dnemiller wrote:
actually I think it was more balanced after A&E....


I think now we are a set away from balancing the lesser factions or completely unbalancing in favor of the rebels and imps.....



I have to agree with Dean here. I like TFU, but it did knock the balance out of whack a bit. Hopefully the next set or two will bring balance to the Force, er... I mean game, again.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:09 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:51 pm
Posts: 533
Location: Black Country, UK.
Jury still out.

I've still to play many FU pieces - ½ my minis got lost in the post :(

The game seems evenly balanced between Rebels & Empire, and maybe Republic, but the other Factions need some non-Fringe support.

_________________
Image
www.ugavine.com
"I'm not exactly breaking the laws of time, just bending them a little."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:27 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 326
It's no surprise that the factions that have been the focus of the last two sets are in the best position overall right now - but I'm really delighted with how many cool options those factions have. And even the factions that only got minor representation of late, really got some good stuff. For example, Republic, New Republic and Separatists only got 7 new minis in the last two sets, but they were 7 excellent minis IMO:

Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator
Master Kota
Shaak Ti, Jedi Master
Kazdan Paratus
Garm Bel Iblis
Mara Jade, Jedi
Aurra Sing, Jedi Hunter
(and of course the Seps and Vong got a huge boost with the MTB)

I'm playing in a tournament tomorrow, my first since Gen Con, and I can't wait.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:19 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:36 pm
Posts: 1543
Location: Central CT
I'm going bold and saying yes; I think these past 2 sets have brought a lot of people in and I'm excited about the recosting of force users over the next few sets to really recreate the feel of Star Wars when playing.

_________________
Bottoms up and spirits down


Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars in the best place its ever been?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:35 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:19 pm
Posts: 561
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Lord_Nihl wrote:

The only real things lacking are maps and rules updates IMO.


for these reasons alone
I think this is what is keeping this game from being one of, if not the best game in it's division...

_________________
"The closer you get to the light, the greater the shadow..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:56 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:41 pm
Posts: 1683
Location: Aboard the Anakin Solo, NJ
I think it's in the best place its been for a long time. It's getting better in ever set (except for BH which set us back...).

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:45 pm
Posts: 3886
DarkLordVerjal wrote:
I think it's in the best place its been for a long time. It's getting better in ever set (except for BH which set us back...).


I disagree. BH actually started to open things up at the higher points.

_________________
Bloomilk Ambassador


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:07 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 1359
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
I think ROTS was great. We just got R2 astromech to tow around Jedi. CS unique jedi were played.

My favorite squad was:
Obi
Ani
R2
+20 points of help


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:58 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:51 pm
Posts: 533
Location: Black Country, UK.
The one thing I'm liking about the game right now is that there's not really a top squad, or a single top piece. Good pieces, sure, but not not a single top piece. There are so many variables in the game now it's certainly the most interesting it has ever been.

_________________
Image
www.ugavine.com
"I'm not exactly breaking the laws of time, just bending them a little."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:16 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Posts: 690
Until factions like OR, NR and all these small factions get A LOT more figures it will never be at it's best. However i would agree that it's at it's best for Rebels and Imperials and Republic.
My problem here it that next years sets will change these factions if they get any more support which they do not need, but we all know that they will. I think WOTC really need to concentrate on the other factions.

_________________
Forgive the hero, thous who would have died


Last edited by dreadtech on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:16 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Posts: 690
Lets hope WOTC will bring balance to the game.

_________________
Forgive the hero, thous who would have died


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:34 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:42 pm
Posts: 928
I think SWM is at a good spot right now. It could better though, they need to start giving, OR, Mandalorians, Sith, NR, and Vong and Seps some more support though. But with this set it looks like there isn't one build that is number 1. I think various builds can do well. But again, a lot of the factions are still lacking some good figs.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:06 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:36 pm
Posts: 1543
Location: Central CT
It can always get better, but is it the best it's been so far?

_________________
Bottoms up and spirits down


Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:01 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:42 pm
Posts: 928
punxnbutter wrote:
It can always get better, but is it the best it's been so far?


I voted that is was the best its been so far, B&B was still a great squad even with A&E, but now there are more counters to B&B with TFU, which really helped the game a lot. Pieces like MTB(though it does have a big drawback), force pushers, San was always a good counter, Ozzel helps a lot for the stormtrooper swarms, Revan helps too since there's more than 1 characer with MT now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:55 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:27 pm
Posts: 26
I'm not necessarily sure the game is in the best place it's ever been, but it is certainly in the best place it's been since RotS.

There's always room to grow, though. I think all the game needs to really get close to perfect balance would be more Maps (preferably designed with Huges in mind), and more support for factions other than Rebel/Imperial/Republic.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:31 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:22 pm
Posts: 195
Location: So Cal
I put "the jury is out", because I can't honestly say that I know one way or another.
Based on what I have heard, yes, it is in the best place. From others, I have heard it's not.

The only reason I dislike TFU is because, whenever I see that somebody has posted a squad, there will always be some reply with "It'll get slaughtered by Kota's Repulse or Loda!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:06 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:42 pm
Posts: 928
Aeimnestus wrote:
I put "the jury is out", because I can't honestly say that I know one way or another.
Based on what I have heard, yes, it is in the best place. From others, I have heard it's not.

The only reason I dislike TFU is because, whenever I see that somebody has posted a squad, there will always be some reply with "It'll get slaughtered by Kota's Repulse or Loda!"


Thats because some squads could be vulnerable to push or repulse, those force powers can do a lot of damage. When you post a squad it will be critisized(don't know if I spelled that correctly).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:27 pm
Posts: 26
Aeimnestus wrote:
I put "the jury is out", because I can't honestly say that I know one way or another.
Based on what I have heard, yes, it is in the best place. From others, I have heard it's not.

The only reason I dislike TFU is because, whenever I see that somebody has posted a squad, there will always be some reply with "It'll get slaughtered by Kota's Repulse or Loda!"


The thing is, just about any strategy nowadays has an antithesis that can undermine it for the most part, if not completely. It's not quite rock/paper/scissors, but there are more counters than there have ever been, which makes choosing a squad a lot more tricky and strategic than before.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights style by Scott Stubblefield