All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who would you take?
Total votes : 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:24 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I chose Merc because he doesn't have the cheap win factor, but you can boost his damage easier with Han RH or ensure you win initative. I like both, but somthing different than the almighty boba is more interesting.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:52 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Agreed Merc is the way to go for interesting strategy vs. cheesy evading disentigrating crutch pieces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:03 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I went with Merc, a boba with good dmg potential and isn't incredibly cheesy, boba merc takes a lot of strategy to use, more of a finesse piece. Intuition is also great too. Though Merc having no evader makes him more vulnerable to damage, Merc is still great though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:24 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Ok:

A) Almost auto 40 damage accurate mobile shooter that you should never even see if played right and if you do he can evade, or

B) a circumstantial 60 damage that can't move. Hmmm. It's no contest, BH is better. In CERTAIN BUILDS Merc can be nasty, but BH is awesome no matter the build. And his stats are superior to boot (for a mere 4 points more) And I'm not even going to bring up the "big D." BH is better even without it.

I am floored that so many picked Merc. In my opinion it's because he has that "new car smell" or people are picking him out of spite of BH. Either way, neither reason proves he is superior. I dislike BH's power as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to pretend said power is inferior.

Just my $.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:26 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

You obviously didn't count Intuition. Is it Mobile, no, but it is most certainly movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I can see where the appeal would be in a melee-heavy environment to declare Merc the better choice, but I have to agree BH Boba will continue to be the superior option.

Not because of Disintegration, though there is that. It's more about Mobile, Evade, and Twin Attack. You take 2 shots no matter what you do, and at +18 vs. Uniques. If you decide to take that second cunning shot with Merc, well then he is a sitting duck for the rest of the round.

A sitting duck with a 19/23 defense, but a sitting duck none the less. He can't even evade.

EDIT: A wise SWM player once said: You can't shoot at what you can't see. (I forget now who said it.)

And if you don't take the second shoot, and move instead, then you have give up 30 damage at the expense of 4 points. (Granted there, are move options like Garm or R2, but generally speaking...)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:11 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Boba Merc,

Intuition and Flight are such a unique, intriguing combination of SA's that make him so much more fun to play (and even somewhat to play against, he's a tricky bugger to catch)

Boba BH is certainly powerful, but when he doesn't do the big D, he's 40 damage a turn for 62 points. That damage output just doesn't fit my playstyle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:52 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I chose Merc, simply because he takes a bit more skill to play, sure Boba BH is amazing, but Merc can be just as amazing. When you can pull of Merc well enough you will be very happy you made that choice. BH is a great piece, I just favor Merc a bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:35 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Ok, BH is better, but at what expense? Sorry, but anyone who plays him is instantly frowned upon(unless its gencon that’s completely different.) It's not my judgment alone; although I'll admit when I see him I instantly lose the fun factor for the game. Not saying that’s a good thing, just me, and I can't help it. And I see the fact that BH can be better, but ridiculous, while on the other hand Merc can be just as good and bring more fun to the match.

Now I realize is just reiterated what most have said, i just needed to get it off my chest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:22 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
And I see the fact that BH can be better, but ridiculous, while on the other hand Merc can be just as good and bring more fun to the match.

Our game didnt convince you did it?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:51 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

Teach me what? Was i supposed to learn something? I played well, you played better. And the fact i couldn't even hit a wall with my rolls didn't help any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:40 am 

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
Teach me what? Was i supposed to learn something? I played well, you played better. And the fact i couldn't even hit a wall with my rolls didn't help any.

Do you think our game would have been easier for me, had I run Boba BH? Dont blame the rolls. The best you could say is you had two chances to kill R2 with missles late (after the game was all but decided) and I made the rolls. Otherwise, the rolls were pretty consistent. I failed a 30dmg deflect save. I also had to use fps to reroll several saves as well.

the point is Boba Merc was a better fit in my squad. I was hoping you would have seen that. I would have thought the round 2 kill of Veers would have suggested to you that Merc has something to offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:54 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Admiral Ace wrote:
Ok:
I am floored that so many picked Merc. In my opinion it's because he has that "new car smell" or people are picking him out of spite of BH. Either way, neither reason proves he is superior. I dislike BH's power as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to pretend said power is inferior.

Rebember, the poll is not about which one is better. That should be obvious to everyone. The poll is about which one you'd prefer to take. That is why so many people (including me) have picked Merc.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:16 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

billiv15 wrote:
DarkLordVerjal wrote:

Do you think our game would have been easier for me, had I run Boba BH? Dont blame the rolls. The best you could say is you had two chances to kill R2 with missles late (after the game was all but decided) and I made the rolls. Otherwise, the rolls were pretty consistent. I failed a 30dmg deflect save. I also had to use fps to reroll several saves as well.

the point is Boba Merc was a better fit in my squad. I was hoping you would have seen that. I would have thought the round 2 kill of Veers would have suggested to you that Merc has something to offer.

Have i missed something Bill? For some odd reason you appear to be making assumptions which make little to no sense. I had said that Boba Merc can be better, but BH is just easier to field. I recall nowhere I had said otherwise. I think you need to re-read my posts, for you obviously miss read them. Anyhow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:25 pm 

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
Ok, BH is better, but at what expense? Sorry, but anyone who plays him is instantly frowned upon(unless its gencon that’s completely different.) It's not my judgment alone;

This would be the reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:38 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I found it interesting how many people said they would rather take Merc just because BH is taboo.

It's a suggestion that perhaps BH is the better piece but that they'd rather take the lesser option for the overall maintaining of fun with their playgroup.

That is a refreshing answer IMO.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:05 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Boris wrote:
I found it interesting how many people said they would rather take Merc just because BH is taboo.

It's a suggestion that perhaps BH is the better piece but that they'd rather take the lesser option for the overall maintaining of fun with their playgroup.

That is a refreshing answer IMO.

Just wait until GenCon, then we'll see which one is 'better.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

adder wrote:
Boris wrote:
Just wait until GenCon, then we'll see which one is 'better.'

With two more sets coming before Gencon, any Gencon guesses are invalidated. We will see if either Fett still works after KOTOR. After Force Unleashed, I am not predicting a too stable meta. Though, I am not too sure on the effects of KOTOR on Gencon. It depends on how early the big spoilers hit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:25 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I think that they're on par with each other. BH can be dropped into just about any squad and be good. however, I think Merc is better if he's in a squad themed to work with his synergy. It all depends on preferred style of play and the squad in question. That is what the poll is asking anyway, not which is the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:20 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

See this group people? Just look at what good people we have! Almost everyone would choose Merc over him for the better of the people around(basically what sithborg said) thats just amazing. I think SWM has the best group of gamers around. Granted there is those 14 people, but whatever. Just makes me so proud to be part of the group this good.