logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Battle Ready squads
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:38 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I've been working out a few ideas on using the Mandalorian Training Sergeant (very overlooked imo) as a way to counter the Double Swap squads, but also to provide a good first strike and also make the mandalorian matches quicker and thus increase the chance of a 3pt win. I've come up with a few squads, a couple using the new Vset 10 pieces.

--Battle Ready Death Watchers--
44 Darth Maul, Death Watch Overlord
38 Tor Vizsla, Death Watch Founder
34 Mandalorian Training Sergeant
29 Pre Vizsla
11 Death Watch Berserker
30 Death Watch Saboteur x3
6 Mandalorian Demolitionist
5 Death Watch Mercenary
3 Mouse Droid

(200pts. 11 activations)

I like how this squad functions as a tank squad thanks to Pre and tor Visla having great tank abilities such as Evade and Parry. Depending on the matchup, you can give Pre Vizsla Evade or you can give Tor Vizsla parry via the Training Sergeant. I'm not sure if you can give either parry or evade to Maul, but if you can, that'd be a pretty good melee deterant when he already has Teras Kasi Style and Ripposte w/Twin and could get Parry from the MTS. I like how this squad can handle Durge on speeder since Tor has Quick Draw and can land 40 dmg on durge with a shot, Maul can riposte with twin and you have the SD 20 on the rest of the death watch guys. Tor gives Maul a nice dmg/attack boost also. I put the Death Watch Berserker in there to clear mouse/diplomat walls, but not sure if it will work as well in practice.

--Battle Ready Pilots--
38 Mandalore the Resurrector
30 Mandalorian Squadron Leader
18 Klatooinian Captain
68 Mandalorian Pilot x4
12 Mandalorian Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 10 activations)

This squad isn't as great against durge, but could be devastating vs opponents in the first round due to the Mandalorian Pilots gaining speed 8 and starting the game 16 squares up the map from the starting zone. GMA and double with Accurate and Advantageous attack with a cannon shot CE and potentially a +13 attack vs unactivated people. This squad has its problems, aka Durge on Speeder, but it's nice to have so many threats early on that could shoot with GMA.

--Strafing 110--
51 Basilisk War Droid
49 Mandalore on Basilisk War Droid
28 Kelborn
23 Mandalorian Captain
12 Mandalorian Demolitionist x2
3 Mouse Droid

(200pts. 8 activations)

Not sure if Huges will ever be competitive, but these Basilisks can start up the map 20 squares from the starting zone. Kelborn is there purely for a movement breaker latter on and to give Mandalore Relay orders but also to be a decent dmg dealer to clear up after the basilisks are gone. apparently the double swap squads have done a pretty decent job with just one Override, so I wonder if i got a couple Mando demo's up the map 12 squares from the starting zone might open up some key doors, since they have a 12square range to open doors permanently. Essentially you could blow up doors 28 squares from the side of the map in the first round. Whether that is enough to unleash the Basilisks in the first round is up to the map and I'll need to experiment on what maps are favorable to this squad, but potentially you could have these Basilisks strafe over the squad of your opponent and deal a potential 110 dmg if you charge in first with Mandalore and have him within 6 of the regular Basilisk to get him the Twin attack.

anyways, just wanted to get everyone else's thoughts on these squads and if they are viable or not. Are they competitive enough in the current meta? I really want to make a good squad with the MTS cause I almost forgot about him until I was starting to brainstorm strategies to go against Double swap and Durge on Speeder. Is the Battle Ready even a good idea to build around and use against the top squads right now? I'd appreciate any suggestions on this, cause I've been toying around with Vong squads that also employ Battle Ready via Nom Anor, Executor. Thanks!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: Battle Ready squads
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:45 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

What is your map choice? Moving up quickly is hard to do if the doors are closed, so Battle Ready can be quite dependent on the map.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:54 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think some obvious maps that would work good with Battle Ready would be Rancor pit, Jabba's Palace and Bothan spynet. I'll have to check the other maps on the restricted list and see what the battle ready zones would be, but those 3 are ones I play on regularly.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Those are definitely good map choices.