All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Fixing Melee Force Users
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:33 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Idea 1:
Faction - Republic
Master Jedi Trainer (Alternately could be made on a cheap unique, ala Gui-Gon Jinn Jedi Trainer, - for example a cheap Aylla Secura could have this for the Rep)

Cost 25
90 HPs
18 Def
+10 Atk
20 Dmg

Melee, Double, Shien Style Mastery, Affinity NR, OR, Rebels.

Commander Effect:
Allied Force Users with melee attack gain Shien Style while within 6 of an ally with a force rating.

And the cool thing is you can make a mirror for Sith, Imp, and Seps, because they had Sith Shien, which was basically the same

Idea 2:
Whills Shaman Force Spirit
Old Republic (Affinity Republic)
Cost - 10
HPs -
Def -
Atk -
Dmg -

Special Abilities
Unique, Speed 2
Light Spirit Tutor - At the start of the skirmish choose one allied character with a force rating. That character gains Force Spirit 3. (which is force spirit giving out 3 FPs upon death.)

Force Powers:
1FPs

Commander Effect:
Allied characters with a force rating gain +4 to their speed.

"The ability to defy oblivion can be achieved, but only for oneself. It was accomplished by a Shaman of the Whills. It is a state acquired through compassion, not greed."
―Qui-Gon Jinn to Yoda[src]

The idea here is simple. A force ghost (so cheap enough to be tech, which Jedi squads generally lack in terms of options compared to shooters which have a plethora, and it's usually cheap, whereas Jedi tech is expensive). It's unique because there was reportedly only one shaman that could do this, and he taught Qui-Gon. It makes them fast. And it makes fast jedi faster. And yes, I already understand this would affect Yoda on Kybuck too, but that's not an issue.

Idea 3:
Jedi Master Ry-Gaul
Republic (Affinity Rebels)
Cost 23
HPs 100
Def 18
Atk +10
Dmg 30

Special Abilities:
Unique, Melee, Aturu Style, Double Attack

Force Powers
4 FPs
Force Cloak
Force Burst

Commander Effect:
Allied characters with a force rating gain +4 atk and +10 dmg. Followers with a force rating and melee attack gain Distraction.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject: Re: Fixing Melee Force Users
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:42 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Good ideas Bill! I am a concerned that giving out Shein Style is to much however for every force user. Shein Style is the SSM equivalant if SSM only worked vs shooters. As such, it is really good vs shooters and while it would really help them vs shooters, i fear it would be to much when guys like Mace and Yobuck get a hold of that style.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:31 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Depending on how V-set exile gets ruled we could
Make a force power that makes force powers cost 1 less force. That would make LS defense saves free so they could be used against force immunity (maybe). There is already design space used there to make things cost more force.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:31 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I'm in love with #2 and #3.

#1 might be a bit too much if you have the Ani/Obi duo piece, because it gives out Soresu Style (regular) and Ranged Defense Expert to jedi. But 110pts (85pts and 25pts) should get you some solid help. I like the idea, but it would need some solid playtesting.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:08 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'll just repost what I poroposed on Bloomilk here to see what people think about it. I feel Force disarm represents what we saw Vader do in episode 5 to Han and what Luke did to one of Jabba's guards in episode 6.

Force Disarm (Force 2, usable on this characters turn or when this character takes damage from a ranged attack: range 6; target cannot make ranged combat attacks until they move adjacent to this character)

This would limit ranged shooters effectiveness and force them to get adjacent. I wouldn't propose to put this on many pieces, but certainly on a figure like Luke or Vader. Shooters can still do damage, just not as much, since the first shot would deal damage but the rest won't.

Another ability that I think would help is Resolve;

Resolve (+4 Defense against attacks from an enemy with a lower point cost)

It works as a reverse bravado and I would make it a OR special ability and would give it via CE to old republic force users. It would negate some of the advantages that swarms have by making them harder to hit, meanwhile encouraging higher cost pieces to be played. I could see something like this helping out melee force users that are dealing with shooters that are cheaper but do more damage.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:02 pm 

thereisnotry wrote:
I'm in love with #2 and #3.

#1 might be a bit too much if you have the Ani/Obi duo piece, because it gives out Soresu Style (regular) and Ranged Defense Expert to jedi. But 110pts (85pts and 25pts) should get you some solid help. I like the idea, but it would need some solid playtesting.

That's one of the key problems right there. We made a piece that's 85 points that gives out something tons of figures would need to be more playable. It needs to be on a figure far lower in cost.

As for playing them both, option two with that one is to give out Soresu on a 20ish point piece. But then no one would play the 85 point figure would they.

Point is we need to stop making jedi support being other costly jedi.

Think Qui-Gon Jedi Trainer, or cheaper. Jedi figures cost enough as it is.

But yes, if Shien were too strong in testing, could always make it give out Soresu. Of course then no one would play the 85 point piece. :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:09 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Great Ideas Bill.

I like Master Yoda, Anakin/Obi Etc but because of cost they will have a small fix on the melee problem. They are great figures but because of cost and not being a true attacker. Anakin and Obi are attackers but Yaddle and Yoda needed to cost less or have the effect Gen Skywalker had on the game.

Figures need to cost around what Bill has made to have an effect or be an attacker and support figure.