logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Safe gonking
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:37 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Well, EMR131 had an interesting idea. Place your shooter (Boba BH, Han SC or whatever) on a cart. Hide the cart around a corner. The gonk is next to the cart (way out of LOS) and can safely use power coupling on the shooter (in the cart).

Billiv15 pointed out this makes your squad very static. I can see that. So what about:

Cart 15
Gonk 12
Gonk 12

Cart 15
Chewe RH 30
shooter

The base is 84 points (It's like a Bane, Revan or Exar point cost :shock: ).

The shooter cart moves up and the gonk cart moves up to base. Both gonks power couple to the shooter. Now the shooter lays down the fire.

Now the shooter
Boba BH - twin and +12 attack

Han, SC - twin and cunning (it would be nice to also have Obi FS and PL)

What do you think? Is this the start to a 200 point DCI squad?

Would this work (I think it does)?
1) Both gonks power couple the shooter on the cart in base with the gonk cart.
2) The shooter cart moves from one side of the gonk cart to the other (allowing LOS to your opponents squad).
3) The twice power coupled shooter takes lots of shots.

This is kind of like an ASP-7 lifting a fig for a shot after being power coupled from a gonk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:53 pm 
General
General

I certainly did not think of a gonk cart and shooter cart. I like this idea *a lot*.

Alternately, 1 gonk and a 2-1B instead of 2 gonks: granting life support for both carts and the shooter/chewie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:02 pm 
General
General

There is one horrible weakness to *all* these squads though. Area effects will just ruin them, the gonks, the carts, the shooters, they all count as adjacent. Splash will hurt, Vader's Throw... yeah that's pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:46 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, any splash attacks are what would worry me with this. Especially since you're talking about the potential for 6 characters to all be adjacent to each other. That means that in situations like Vader's LT5, or Lightning attacks, or others like that, your opponent will be able to choose which adjacent characters get hit.

In situations where the ability only hits the target and two adjacent characters, well, then you just have it hit both carts, and then the gonk on the other cart. If you're running 2 gonks on the other cart, then the Self-Destruct damage alone will kill both carts. If only one gonk, then it will kill 2-1B. And all said and done, Chewie can't bodyguard it! Since the Gonks only have 10 HP, I think this will be pretty tough to pull off. Certainly one of those 'will work great, one time' sort of squads though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:05 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Obviously you have to watch out for splash, missles ect. But my main concern is what if you cannot hide the gonk like you want because there is no wall, because you lost map choice?

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:27 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

SirStevee wrote:
Obviously you have to watch out for splash, missles ect. But my main concern is what if you cannot hide the gonk like you want because there is no wall, because you lost map choice?

Yep of the 200 DCI maps

Starship
Both sides really have no where for the 2x cart's and ridders

Chancellor's starship
Good on both sides

Rancor pit
Both sides have hiding spots, but it's very open to shooters

Well, it was an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:57 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Looks good, it would do best in a Han Cannon variant, maybe Cart Cannon or something.

It looks like every squad is good if you have Han, Scoundrel in it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, if you leave out Chewie BH, you might be able to make it work in the 150 environment. Even if you end up getting stuck on a map like Bespin, you'd still have one cart available for running people around. Might just have to alter the strategy slightly. I'm not 100% sure on that though, and I'd have to consider what builds would be possible in that situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:58 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Its a cool idea, but force powers and special abilities that affect multiple characters will really hurt a combo like this.

Post subject: Re: Safe gonking
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, necromancing this thread a little bit, as I think I may have found something that works with this idea.

Here's the squad I was playing yesterday. I went 3-0 with it (admittedly, 2 games were against young kids with little experience, but the 3rd game was against MadMan, and it was brutal, IMO).

Boba Merc
Garm
Han Rogue
Bossk BH
Lobot
Ewok x3
Ugo x2

Used Garm to bring in a cart and 3 Mon Cal Techs, and Lobot was bringing in a Gonk and then either Wicket or other activations. NOTE: I also had an MTB in the squad, as we were playing with 208 point squads for a 'Countdown to 20(0)8' theme for the day. Otherwise, I might go with Han RH instead of Han Rogue, not sure though. I guess that's not really the point of this thread anyways, so...

I was loading up the MTB and the Gonk in the cart, and then using Boba's combination of Intuition, and 3 squares of movement to pull off the big early round shots. Actually, now that I think about it, I pulled off a couple later round shots with Han and the cart as well once. I killed MadMan's Han RH at the beginning of Round 2 by setting up the cart and Boba in the previous round. After Boba shot 3 times at Han RH (needing 3's for hits) and killed him, he moved 3 squares out of LOS.

With this set up, I didn't need a 2nd cart, although if I was running the squad without an MTB, and didn't need the extra activations, a 2nd cart might not have been too bad of an idea. Although, I really like the option of putting the MTB and the Gonk in the cart together. In my game against Madman, he killed the cart, and then I made the MTB's save, but failed the Gonk, so it took out the MTB anyways. :P Again, Boba's psued-mobile with Intuition and Garm's CE allowed him to not be adjacent to the cart when the Gonk blew up.