logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: WI Regional Saturday, June 29
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:33 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not starting this all over again. Tim A. (the TO) originally said to roll for it then he decided to leave it up to us (the 2 involved) to decide for ourselves. Shawn and I both mutually agreed to roll it off.
I stand by with what the TO says. I would have been fine with 3rd or 4th.
We were both beat, our brains were fried, and we did what we thought was the right thing by going to the TO.
Shawn and I both mutually agreed upon this without any input from anyone else after the TO left it up to us.

If anyone disagrees then that is fine, I'm not going to try and change your mind. We did what we thought was right by going to the TO.
I'm done with this topic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:44 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Thanks to everyone that attended the WI Regional. We also want to thank our local gaming store - Kryptonite Kollectibles. They stayed open WAY past closing so that we could finish the event. Great store run by great people!!

I'm not one to post many play reports, but I'll give it a try:

I was running:
Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
Aurra Sing, Assassin
Morrigan Corde
BX Commando Droid Spotter x2
Devaronian Assassin
BX Commando Droid Sniper
R7 Astromech x2
Mouse Droid x4

Round One
I played against the brother combo of Harry and Joe. I was able to out door control them, which allowed me to isolate Palpatine. Once I finished him off, I turned my attention towards Vader, using Morrigan and the spotters to hit him hard with no chance of reflecting the damage. 3 point victory

Round Two
I drew TimmerB for the round. This is the first time I've ever faced him. Early on, I was able to use Morrigan to strip evade from Jaq, hitting him hard. This was after he had failed some shield saves. Atton also was hit early and left with very few hit points, effectively taking him out of play for a round. This allowed me to advance through the middle of the map. As time was getting close, Atton went on a suicide run...which ended in suicide. Bastilla moved up in the final rounds, but I couldn't get enough damage on her to secure the full win. 2 point victory

Round Three
Shawn and his 23 activations! On top of that, in the first init, he gets reserves and adds another 4 Naboo Troopers. I had been playing my squad fairly aggressively in the first two rounds, but needed to hold back against his death shot troopers. I positioned my Sniper, Spotters, and Devaronian in spots where they could shoot but thanks to stealth, were too far away to be targeted. In the end, I couldn't keep far enough away as his troopers bum rushed the hallway. His diplomats negated stealth, and with death shots and combining fire, I fell. Time was called with Morrigan and Aurra still limping around the board.

Round Four
I was worried with Dan towing Boba around with R2, so in the second round, I was able to get LOS on R2 with the Sniper and end that concern. Morrigan was able to hit Obi twice and negate his Extra Attack CE. However, immediately following that, we forgot, and Boba took four shots at Morrigan, who was standing next to a Spotter. The first two shots bounced back and hit Boba, the third made it through, and the fourth disintegrated Morrigan. Before the next activation, Dan realized the mistake and sportingly allowed us to "rewind" the game, bringing Morrigan back in and Boba down 40. Near the end, Aurra was able to slip down the hallway, past Obi, and base Boba. With Boba gone and Obi down to only 10 left, the battle didn't last much longer. 3 point victory

Round Five
Trevor brought Caedus, whom I was worried about. Unforunately, I forgot how nasty the combo of Aiing Ti Flow Walking and Sith Battle Manipulation can be. I took a gamble to put Aurra in a position to hit Caedus, with Morrigan safely tucked behind me (or so I thought). Caedus Flow Walks, moves us all around, and suddenly Morrigan is dead! Ultimately, this game came down to a decision for Trevor...Force Illusion an attack and make me roll the save, or count on his Crab Armor (from Vergere) and make the save himself. He chose to roll the save...failed, rerolled with Force...failed again. Caedus goes down. After that, I was able to take out enough points for the victory. 2 points

Semis
I had played Jake in the first round last year, and he was running a Celste squad then also. I learned that it was in my best interest to stay back for as long as possible! In the opening round, however, I was able to Sniper Arica for 50, causing him to play her a little more conservatively. Late in the game, Cad was able to Furious Assault into a position to remove his R7 (last of his door control), Advanced Stormtrooper Scout, and Arica. I then locked Thrawn in a room so that he couldn't swap Celeste anywhere near me. In the end, Aurra took some hits which allowed Cad to fly back into a safe corner and secure the victory by points.

Finals
Facing Trevor again, and this time we are both playing more conservatively! The difference in this game is that I won map, giving me the advantage on tricky LOS and angles. Trevor moved all of his beatsticks (except Bandon) into Gambit, but Caedus was sticking out just enough for Morrigan and a Sniper to put some serious hurt on him. After a quick heal from Vergere, we found ourselves in a similar situation, with Caedus Manipulating my squad. Morrigan was again the target, but Aurra also fell to his Zannah. At this point, late in the game, I went for broke. Cad furious assaulted to be in base contact with Zannah, Caedus, and two of his fodder. With the help of the spotters, I took out Caedus. During the assault, Cad missed his Mouse Droid TWICE...which ended up being a saving grace. I was able to Hostage Shield the Mouse to avoid damage from Zannah. Zannah fell in the next round to another Furious Assault. Time was called with Vergere running to safety...trying to draw an AoO from Cad so that she could Force Spirit Bandon. Bandon missed on his final attack, with no Force left to spend and time was called!

My notes may be fuzzy on some of these games...I've never documented my playing before. So...if any of my opponents want to add or clarify, please do.

It was great hosting the regional again this year. See everyone next year!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:57 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

I apologize Jake as I haven't ever been to a tourney (gencon/regionals/etc) where it was anything other than swiss record to determine rankings once a player was eliminated (for instance why Lou was 5th at Gencon last year he was 1st after swiss but lost in the first rd of the playoffs). If the TO had you guys do something different then I am 100% fine with that as our floor rules give TOs a lot of leeway in how to do things.

Congrats on a 3rd place finish Jake.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:27 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

philnlil wrote:
Thanks to everyone that attended the WI Regional. We also want to thank our local gaming store - Kryptonite Kollectibles. They stayed open WAY past closing so that we could finish the event. Great store run by great people!!

I was running:
Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
Aurra Sing, Assassin
Morrigan Corde
Devaronian Assassin
BX Commando Droid Sniper
R7 Astromech x2
Mouse Droid x4

Round One
I played against the brother combo of Harry and Joe. I was able to out door control them, which allowed me to isolate Palpatine. Once I finished him off, I turned my attention towards Vader, using Morrigan and the spotters to hit him hard with no chance of reflecting the damage. 3 point victory

Round Two
I drew TimmerB for the round. This is the first time I've ever faced him. Early on, I was able to use Morrigan to strip evade from Jaq, hitting him hard. This was after he had failed some shield saves. Atton also was hit early and left with very few hit points, effectively taking him out of play for a round. This allowed me to advance through the middle of the map. As time was getting close, Atton went on a suicide run...which ended in suicide. Bastilla moved up in the final rounds, but I couldn't get enough damage on her to secure the full win. 2 point victory

Round Three
Shawn and his 23 activations! On top of that, in the first init, he gets reserves and adds another 4 Naboo Troopers. I had been playing my squad fairly aggressively in the first two rounds, but needed to hold back against his death shot troopers. I positioned my Sniper, Spotters, and Devaronian in spots where they could shoot but thanks to stealth, were too far away to be targeted. In the end, I couldn't keep far enough away as his troopers bum rushed the hallway. His diplomats negated stealth, and with death shots and combining fire, I fell. Time was called with Morrigan and Aurra still limping around the board.

Round Four
I was worried with Dan towing Boba around with R2, so in the second round, I was able to get LOS on R2 with the Sniper and end that concern. Morrigan was able to hit Obi twice and negate his Extra Attack CE. However, immediately following that, we forgot, and Boba took four shots at Morrigan, who was standing next to a Spotter. The first two shots bounced back and hit Boba, the third made it through, and the fourth disintegrated Morrigan. Before the next activation, Dan realized the mistake and sportingly allowed us to "rewind" the game, bringing Morrigan back in and Boba down 40. Near the end, Aurra was able to slip down the hallway, past Obi, and base Boba. With Boba gone and Obi down to only 10 left, the battle didn't last much longer. 3 point victory

Round Five
Trevor brought Caedus, whom I was worried about. Unforunately, I forgot how nasty the combo of Aiing Ti Flow Walking and Sith Battle Manipulation can be. I took a gamble to put Aurra in a position to hit Caedus, with Morrigan safely tucked behind me (or so I thought). Caedus Flow Walks, moves us all around, and suddenly Morrigan is dead! Ultimately, this game came down to a decision for Trevor...Force Illusion an attack and make me roll the save, or count on his Crab Armor (from Vergere) and make the save himself. He chose to roll the save...failed, rerolled with Force...failed again. Caedus goes down. After that, I was able to take out enough points for the victory. 2 points

Semis
I had played Jake in the first round last year, and he was running a Celste squad then also. I learned that it was in my best interest to stay back for as long as possible! In the opening round, however, I was able to Sniper Arica for 50, causing him to play her a little more conservatively. Late in the game, Cad was able to Furious Assault into a position to remove his R7 (last of his door control), Advanced Stormtrooper Scout, and Arica. I then locked Thrawn in a room so that he couldn't swap Celeste anywhere near me. In the end, Aurra took some hits which allowed Cad to fly back into a safe corner and secure the victory by points.

Finals
Facing Trevor again, and this time we are both playing more conservatively! The difference in this game is that I won map, giving me the advantage on tricky LOS and angles. Trevor moved all of his beatsticks (except Bandon) into Gambit, but Caedus was sticking out just enough for Morrigan and a Sniper to put some serious hurt on him. After a quick heal from Vergere, we found ourselves in a similar situation, with Caedus Manipulating my squad. Morrigan was again the target, but Aurra also fell to his Zannah. At this point, late in the game, I went for broke. Cad furious assaulted to be in base contact with Zannah, Caedus, and two of his fodder. With the help of the spotters, I took out Caedus. During the assault, Cad missed his Mouse Droid TWICE...which ended up being a saving grace. I was able to Hostage Shield the Mouse to avoid damage from Zannah. Zannah fell in the next round to another Furious Assault. Time was called with Vergere running to safety...trying to draw an AoO from Cad so that she could Force Spirit Bandon. Bandon missed on his final attack, with no Force left to spend and time was called!

My notes may be fuzzy on some of these games...I've never documented my playing before. So...if any of my opponents want to add or clarify, please do.

correct me if I am wrong but cadeus can not reroll saves due to him having force ascetic right?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:55 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

You're right! Like I said, I was a little fuzzy (long day) on some of the details. Thanks for catching that mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:12 am 
General
General

Darth_Jim wrote:
@Tim A. Dude, you finished 3-2 with a squad you've never played before. I think that's pretty awesome, especially considering that against certain squad types in the current meta positioning is critical to winning. Well done.

Thanks, but it's the two losses that I'm still stuck on.

Jake said "You had me on the ropes." But then I left the door open for him. Literally. I had a small lead. I thought we would finish the current round and roll initiative for the next before time expired, so I left it open so I could attack the next round. If I had locked the door and pulled back, I could have won. But I don't like winning that way. Jake's last couple turns took a little longer, time expired, then he charged in for a kill and took the win.

Later, I didn't heed the advice you gave me of taking what the opponent gives me. I was able to do a lot of damage early to Kyle's Vong squad. Didn't kill anything yet, but Lah and the Guardians were close to dead. I got overconfident and went for the kill. It didn't work. I missed a couple "easy" attacks. And then the Momentum, Shaper, Jedi Hunter, Opportunist (his Yommask copied my Thrawn) attacks in return took out my big figs. My scrubs put up a valiant fight, but it wasn't enough. Kyle played well; especially in that he didn't give up when things didn't look so good (at least from my view).

But thank you for reaching out to me and suggesting that I don't "shake the box" [those who listen to the SWMiniverse podcast will get the joke; the rest of you should be listening] and offering up your squad and a couple pointers. It was a fun squad that could also do well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:48 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Darth_Jim wrote:
Congratulations to Mark on the win. I heard a few positive remarks about the welcoming of Kryptonite Kollectibles and you said you all were there until 11...sounds like they should get some free advertising on your show. I know if I can give them some kudos on SHNN I will. (By the way, we plan to have a special edition Wednesday night because of the 4rth of July on Thursday.)

Thanks! And by all means, give that shout out to Kryptonite! Great store run by great people.

Darth_Jim wrote:
@Mark and/or Tim: Either or both of you are welcome to join our show Wednesday night on Talkshoe @10est to discuss your regional, be it to give a report or just to share some thoughts on the day in general. We're gonna talk about you no matter what, though lol.

Thanks for the invite. My family and I are leaving on a mini vacation Tuesday, so I most likely will not be able to attend.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:48 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Chargers wrote:
Jake said "You had me on the ropes." But then I left the door open for him. Literally. I had a small lead. I thought we would finish the current round and roll initiative for the next before time expired, so I left it open so I could attack the next round. If I had locked the door and pulled back, I could have won. But I don't like winning that way. Jake's last couple turns took a little longer, time expired, then he charged in for a kill and took the win.

Don't know who I would have rooted for here...you were running my squad but Celeste is my favorite SWM.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:25 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

ultrastar wrote:
philnlil wrote:

I was running:
Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
Aurra Sing, Assassin
Morrigan Corde
Devaronian Assassin
BX Commando Droid Sniper
R7 Astromech x2
Mouse Droid x4

Round One

Round Two

Round Three

Round Four

Round Five

Semis

Finals

correct me if I am wrong but cadeus can not reroll saves due to him having force ascetic right?

Correct. In our game, I didn't reroll the crab armor save. I rolled a 4 and that was it for Caedus. The rest of the report was accurate in the description for our game. We played late into the night, so some details may be a little fuzzy. It was a close game. The last game also was very close and very well played. I could have asked for a more exciting final showdown between 2 squads.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:54 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'm pretty sure I meant to say Zannah rerolled one of her many saves! Two of them bounced back and hit Cad in fact!

Thanks again for two great matchups. It was nice to have met you and have two such fun games!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

philnlil wrote:
Thanks again for two great matchups. It was nice to have met you and have two such fun games!

Likewise! I'll try and get some pictures posted on here that I took of our tournament to give everyone an idea of what a regional looks like (and give some major props to Kryptonite Kollectibles).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Everyone is getting excited to start the tournament!

Picture of the Wisconsin Regional at Kryptonite Kollectibles

Here is a picture of Tim (Chargers), our tournament organizer. Many thanks to him for hosting this event!

Here is a picture of a matchup in progress.

Here is a picture of my brother holding his Sportsmanship trophy. Major props to Engineer making the trophies for our tournament! They all looked awesome!

Here is a picture of the final 4 tournament players, each holding their trophies with their main squad members mounted on them. From left to right are Jake (sthlrd2), Trevor (obikenobi1), Mark (PhilNLil) and Shawn (GalacticFunk).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:04 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Great pictures, Trevor! Thanks, and thanks to you and Tim for stopping by the show last night.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.