logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Great Moments in SW minis history, Part 2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:38 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Great Moments in Star Wars History part 2

When I was posting more actively over at Wizards forum, I started a thread called

“Great Moments in Star Wars Miniatures Historyâ€￾

The reason being, I thought it was a great way to focus on the positives of the game. For me are always great memories of my military friends and being in the Persian Gulf and Kuwait.

Star Wars Miniatures, above all else is a great way to spend time with family and friends. Forget Tournaments, and cash prizes! Some of the greatest games and outrageous moments have happened in my dining room.

Great Pulls? Great Games? Great Plays? Anything pertaining to happy memories of this game post here!

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:16 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

My favorite moment was when I was playing against my 8-year old. He was running essentially the Endor pack, with more stormies and General Veers.

I was running a simple mobile shooters squad.

It was simple, and I was taking it easy on him. I had the entire game wrapped up, until I realized that the little sneak had managed to knock out all of my shooters who could do 20 damage. All he had left was the AT-ST....

Evidently, he is better at reading the cards that I was. Say it with me.... Damage Reduction.

He told everyone about that for weeks.

Basic Studies: 397/540 [RS:51/60, CS:41/60, SITH:47/60, UNV:46/60, COTF:54/60, BH:51/60, AE:51/60, FU:51/60, LF:51/60]
Advanced: 47/102 [ATAT:1/1, ENDOR:4/4, R&I:5/24, SS2007:6/6, HBP:17/17; PROMOS 14/60]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:36 am 
General
General

My greatest moment was 2 years ago in the first game I had against BGartz29. We were playing on Geonosis and I had 2 destroyer droids against his Darth Maul and jawa. I started in the arena. Maul attempted to charge the destroyers and was cut down without inflicting *any* damage. The Jawa then proceeded to hit the same destroyer twice (I failed my saves which started the great emr131 save tradition) and down the thing went. I missed the next 2 shots and the Jawa hit the second destroyer... 10 HP left. Init, I lose init and the Jawa has the chance to avenge Maul... misses. I return fire and connect with my second shot.

WHEW... the destroyer limped away with a hardly working shield generator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:51 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I had a favorite moment when my Ugnaught kill my brother's General Windu, I based the Uggie to Windu when he had 40 health left and after Windu Shatterpointed one of my DSiWMs at the end of a round. We rolled initiative, he won and moved to the point diagonal to the Uggie, AoO crits. He moves away from that diagonal, second AoO crits and Windu dies. Windu was his last char alive besides Mas (he kept him hidden so he could abuse his Sevs and Bosses to pew pew at me). I laughed sooooo hard, it was pretty much a wipe up after that, my SBDC one shotting Mas on the run.

I will always remember when my Uggie killed one of my most feared Jedi.

Also the day I bought two RotS packs and both had an R2, Astro in them, not much use but I was surprised at my bad/good luck.

Last edited by Giant_Flemming on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:54 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I have a few great moments:

1. Finally realizing that Save 11 on the Destroyer Droid meant that you didn't have to roll exactly an 11. What a great day. Before that I could never figure out what made shields so great.

2. I started out during the Clone Strike days and I bought two packs. Aurra Sing in one pack and an Arc Trooper and Destroyer Droids in the other. I love Arcs and that was my first.

3. To my detriment, but fun for others, to see me get critted by allowing attacks of opportunities from Ewoks, Wookies and Probe Droid. I've lost numerous characters to the mighty spear from the little furballs. Everyone laughs at me now when I get worried about moving away from them. They are my achilles heel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:12 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Giant_Flemming wrote:
We rolled initiative, he won and moved to the point diagonal to the Uggie, AoO crits. He moves away from that diagonal, second AoO crits and Windu dies.

Just for future reference, you only get one AoO per turn, no matter how many squares they move through.

I think the one thing that comes to mind right now was my game against Ulic qel-Droma (Lord Nihl on the forums here) during the GenCon '07 championship. It was a total game of oddities. He lost a crucial initiative, even though he had Recon with Quinlan Vos Infiltrator, and that allowed me to kill Vos with Aurra JH before Vos could activate and kill my Lobot. Then later one of his JWM's missed an attack on Fett BH, then re-rolled and missed again. Hitting that attack would've killed Boba. Boba turns around and rolls a Disintegration to kill that same JWM. That game was so weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:21 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Oh, well we were just playing for fun, and some minor things happen sometimes. Still, I laughed myself silly.

I recall a game was won one time because he claimed he could "stand next to a door but not keep it open".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:38 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

My favorite game of all time:

I was playing a relatively new guy (using his friends pieces) in the opening round of the Gencon 150 thur tourney. He pulls out JH B&B (my exact squad from 2006). I laugh because I am playing San Hill with Boba Enfo, Lando DS, Aurra JH and Lobot. He asks whats so funny, I tell him I have played that squad a few times before and ask him if he follows the boards. He says yes he does, so I tell him I am Billiv15 - he laughs and says something like, oh great, my first dci game and I am playing one of the best players with his own squad design. Then I tell him the worst part is I am playing a strong counter to his.

So we play, things go as expected. I take out thrawn early, and take down all his stormies. It gets down to Vader against my whole squad (minus an ugo or something). We have 30 minutes left or so and we are on Death Star. I start shooting, CFs with Garindan (reinforcement) for Aurra and LAndo, Boba missles. He starts making save after save (deflects and missle saves). I slowing play cat and mouse with override, and spreading out, and eventually get Vader closer and closer to death.

This is the amazing part. And I am pretty good at keeping track so I know this to be the true number (once it got rediculous I started counting out loud to the crowd who was watching at this time). He made - drumroll please.....

21/24 saves against missles and shots with Vader JH. He never had to reroll a missle save or a DA save. The only shots getting damage were the ones after he was out of fps for deflect, but then he made the DA saves.

He did not kill Garindan fast (new player I remind you) and I had over 600pts of CF shots deflected. I had 3 crits deflected, two with Lando DS with Garindan (60 dmg each.)

So we get to the last round. Time has been called, Boba and lobot are all I have left, I am locked in the hanger. Vader is at 10hps standing in gambit. We are tied starting the round, so I must kill Vader to win. I make him activate first, he sits, I open the door and decide to shoot rather than missle (slightly better odds). I miss the shot.

Game ends, I lose first round to a noob using my own squad against me, when I have a counter squad. Unbelievable game, really fun opponent, and a blast. We were laughing so hard after I started counting the saves out loud at about 12. It was a thing of beauty that will likely never be repeated. Quick Emr, do the math on what the odds are of making 21/24 saves really is. I know it has to be an infinitesimally small number.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:44 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

In one of the early Vassal tournies, I won a game when my ewok snuck up behind RS Boba Fett and defeated him with a crit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:03 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Great moments in SWMs.

Well one has to be pullinhg the Sandtrooper on Dewback in my first few boosters. Yeah, not the most playable piece, but the sculpt is beautiful and it's this minis that made me want to play the game! Ironically the first game I ever played using the Dewback spent a couple of rounds setting up, I move in for my first attack of the game and it's with the Dewback. I roll a 1. And Darth Vader Dark Jedi is in my squad! Yep, Dewback instantly defeated. Cheers Darth!

I guess I should also say Revenge of the Sith, as that's when I really started playing and collecting to complete sets.

Games that I remember? The only time we had Boba BH vs Boba BH, and I disintegrated Boba on my first attack of the game. Generally I love the games, win or lose, where the battle keeps swinging too and fro, they're really fun. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:07 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

First random one that popped into my head. 100 point fun game. My COTF Maul, DD, BDO, BDx2 squad vs Bastilla and support. My first attack of the game is a double crit from the DD on Bastilla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:15 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

A great moment of mine was rolling 2 crits at the start of a game against my opponent's boba, BH, and gen. windu, killing both, and basically giving me an auto-win.

Another great moment also involved boba, for different reasons. :D

I was using boba, the new rancor, han in stormie armor, and a bunch of shooters. My oppoenet was using proxy, kun, a regular rancor and a krayt dragon. Our rancors are wrestleing, my shooters are shooting like crazy, and boba sneaks about the side of the command center and rolls a 20 on kun, and the next round on proxy. After that, my rancor defeated his and his dragon. Winning with rancors never felt so complete. :D

But the best moments are when you are playing a really close one-on-one game that you feel is exciting, not an auto-loss or an easy win. Or when an idot at your local game shop makes up the most insane crap you've ever head and you can't help but laugh your a$$ off. That's good fun too. :lol:

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:22 am 
General
General

billiv15 wrote:
Quick Emr, do the math on what the odds are of making 21/24 saves really is. I know it has to be an infinitesimally small number.

I *think* it is 2024 possible outcomes out of 16777216 total outcomes or .012%. However, I could be very wrong as this is not as simple as looking for 1 failure or specific outcomes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:28 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

We wonly had about half an hour before we had to leave the game store so we did a 3 player free for all 100 points 2 figures each game
my squad Boba bh and Yoda of dagobah
friends ran Loda with Chewy rh and Kota with Boba enf
halfway through the game everyone but my Boba is within 5 of his Kota and he wins ini. force repulse 5, Loda counters, I counter Loda, Loda counters, i counter Loda, Loda counters I counter Loda.
Go go counterspell wars we were rolling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:45 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

My favorite moments:

First ever game - after reading and asking questions on the forums my nephew and I play our first ever game. I decide to go with a Nom Bomb squad. He goes with NR squad, to try to play a theme. Idiotically, I set up all my bombs in a maze so that he can't get through. Unfortunately, every single one was adjacent to another. He hits the first one, and down went my Grans like dominoes. So all I have left is Nom versus his entire squad - Jacen, Jaina and others. I win every initiative and Nom kills off his entire squad except for Jacen. Jacen finally bases Nom and kills him, setting off my final bomb and killing Jacen. We tie.

Every time I play with my 6 year old daughter. She always manages to beat me with those Goofbirds (her favorite mini).

The first, and only time, I've beaten Bill on Vassal (okay, okay, he was playing a Revan squad, but I'm still counting it! :D ) And the time I beat Dean on Vassal (he, too, was playing a Revan squad).

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

emr131 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Quick Emr, do the math on what the odds are of making 21/24 saves really is. I know it has to be an infinitesimally small number.

I *think* it is 2024 possible outcomes out of 16777216 total outcomes or .012%. However, I could be very wrong as this is not as simple as looking for 1 failure or specific outcomes.

I am just going to start calling you Mr. Data from now on.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:08 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Wow, you mean we have to pick one great moment? I hope not 'cause I have a few.

1. When I first bought into this game was not long after Universe came out and my first purchases were the AT-AT, RS starter and a booster of Universe. The Universe booster contauned a Darth Vader, JH! Took a while before I realised how good of a mini he was.

2. One day I bought two RS packs. The box with Fett on it had a Han Solo inside and the box with Han on it had a Fett inside.

3. Pulling a random Bounty Hunter box and getting Lord Vader and then using him in a squad with in 10 minutes that was originally meant for him!

4. Buying my Hoth pack at Target and getting a Jango, BH and a Krayt Dragon.

5. Eventhough I lost this skirmish I totally vaped my opponents Emperor Palpatine with Boba, BH. That remains my only disintegration to this day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:44 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

A couple

1. I bought a pack of BH and opened it with my friend. My freaking second Bib Fortuna!! I gave him to my friend (this was pre-IC, now I actually need a Bib). I get upset and buy another one. Boba BH! What makes it even better is that I had just trade my only Boba BH the day before.

2. I'm in game, it's down to my Mas Amedda vs. an AT-ST at 20 hp. I win initiative. Mas attacks..20!

And then there are also my first attack of the game disintegrations against Nym and Boba, BH.

Grambo wrote:
the best defense is a dead opponent.