logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: BuffaCon: 100pt Constructed & Epic 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:01 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

BTW - I have an extra double sided map from Jedi-cartographer. It's laminated! Outlaw city and sinkhole planet landing pad.
$20 for the first taker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It was such a blast!

Thanks to Corey (Pastorbudwine) for putting it all together.

Thanks to Gerry (and Mrs. Russell) for the amazing hospitality!

Thanks to Jak and Juiceman for the lift to and from (between Akron and Buffalo)

Thanks to Jak and the Mrs for letting me stay Sun night so I would not die on the way home!

Results from the weekend events....

Friday Night Follies 100pt Constructed

--Kiss My Assassins--
20 General Whorm Loathsom
60 Klatooinian Assassin x5
8 R7 Astromech Droid
12 Mouse Droid x4

(100pts. 11 activations)

1st place.

I went undefeated in a short swiss only event. Like all 100pt tournies, it was a bit of a crapshoot, and matchups always dictate greatly. This is a deceptively tough squad. Let's take 5 really good shooters with +12 base attack, cloaked, self-destruct 20, and +10 dam vs jedi and give them twin. Simple but effective.

For my 300 pt squad I was going to do Lancer + poggle bomb madness, but decided not to.

A) I wanted to do a squad idea that wouldn't work in 200 (not just a 200pt squad with 100 added on)

B) Both for myself and my opponents it wouldn't be as fun.

Probably would have won with it, but I have no regrets.

Instead, I took 2nd with this:

--The time has come . . . execute Order 66.--
62 Emperor Palpatine, Sith Lord
56 Clone Trooper on Speeder x2
28 General Weir
27 Lobot
20 Admiral Piett
34 Storm Commando x2
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
11 Admiral Ozzel
10 Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop Bike
8 Mas Amedda
3 Mouse Droid
6 Rodian Brute x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(300pts. 17 activations)

Yes, it's still strafe, but it plays MUCH different. You simply cannot make a decent 200pt squad from the pieces in this squad. The concept only works at 300+.

You'll notice I have no Thrawn at all. I swap out Palpatine for Grand Admiral Thrawn every time. That's right - I throw away 25pts right off the bat.

Why? Republic speeders are much better. They still get the bonus from Weir, but vs the Scout Trooper on Speeder they have + 3 attack, + 1 defense, +20 hp, and speed 12 instead of 6. That means they can strafe 24 squares, or strafe 12 and then attack. Much better. G.A. Thrawn gives them all +3, +3, so you are looking at +21 defense (25 in cover). Then I have Grand Admiral Rulf Yage for cunnning and Amiral Piett for opportunist, which means always shooting +15 for 30dam twin. Hot stuff. Double bubble for pesky force users (I'm looking at you Bastila), and 2 storm commandos to nail some other stuff.

Its downfalls include being outactivated -17 base (23 max with Lobot) is not super high for 300. Deathshots and self destruct are also rough. Although I beat republic deathshots in round 1 mainly due to me locking his commander effects in a room and then strafing the pilots. It's the catch 22 of deathshot squads: Even with Mas, you have to trace a path to commander effects. If you can trace a path - my super fast flying strafers can get to your commanders (or at least lock a door so you can no longer trace a path).

I went undefeated in Swiss, beating Luke in the last round. That was maybe not the best for me, since he wised up and brought better reinforcements in the finals. That + him winning map = doom for me. He played great and earned the win.

Imps at the top in 300!

500pt Epic

--Three Kings--
153 Exar Kun, Dark Lord of the Sith
142 Darth Bane in Orbalisk Armor
114 Lord Krayt
17 Marka Ragnos, Dark Force Spirit
20 Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop Bike x2
9 Wuher
24 R7 Astromech Droid x3
12 Gran Raider x3
9 Rodian Brute x3

(500pts. 16 activations)

So 100pts for gambit (gained by epic only) was too juicy to ignore. My concept - get to gambit round 1, and hold it. I chose a map (Rhen Var) which is hard to get to Gambit, but I still could. That means I fly the swoop in and transfer Exar to gambit, and I am up 100pts to 10 going into round 2. I then just had to hold my ground. Bane comes into gambit round 2, and then I have quadruple sith sorcery (both have it with MotF2). I also have Lord Krayt to outactivate (Dodanna's CE), in addition to him zipping in and out killing nuisances (he has transfer and MotF2 as well.) Once Bane is in gambit, I can leave gambit with either epic and kill stuff while I still gain the 100pts each round. 3 Kings, 3 override, a ghost for added defense, and scrubs for transfer fodder. Wuher is a great transfer piece that cannot be shot w/o accurate.

I lost in round 1 to my squads achilles heel - Revan Ridiculous and his OR cronies. I thought I could take OR (and I think I could have taken Trevors build), but didn't count on all Josh brought. His Bastila + Revan's "always win initiative" combo of SAs means he always went last. He didn't make gambit first round, but he brought in Kavar at the end of the second round and severed Bane's FPs at the start of the third round. That great move that I couldn't prevent, coupled with horrible saves (orbalisk armor, etc), a few placement errors on my part, and The Exile's force defense neutered my squad. Bummer of a match round 1.

I went on to win out after that and took third.

Epic tourney highlights include:

- Having Epics in gambit every round of the tournament. EVERY ROUND.
- Using Exar to make 7 massassi mutants in one turn
- Having Krayt kill Thrawn in a room in the back row in round 2
- Simply using 2 epics (awesome!) and a "near epic" Krayt (extra awesome!)
- Carnage

Not a bad weekend, if it were a "Jedi Challenge" sorta thing I daresay I won it.

1st in 100
2nd in 300
3rd in 500.

More than anything I had a blast. Thanks again everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

TimmerB123 wrote:
Not a bad weekend, if it were a "Jedi Challenge" sorta thing I daresay I won it.

1st in 100
2nd in 300
3rd in 500.

I had 3rd in the 300, and 1st in the 500...probably 3rd or 4th in the 100, I don't remember. So I think you're right; I would've taken second. :)

TimmerB123 wrote:
+11
I'll be posting my report soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

For the Epic, I wanted to shake up the format by encouraging Epic on Epic encounters. By stipulating that only the Epic piece could score gambit (worth 100 points) this indeed would force combat. Now that I've had time to reflect I'm not sure I'd reduce the gambit points, using my three matches as a baseline three very different gambit scenarios occured.

In my first match against emtjoe, my WC stole swap from Thrawn which was important be cause my map choice of Cantina prevented me from getting into gambit but it was still a solid choice from a Melee perpective. So as the match played out there was no need for me to for chase down the TPM as he would have been mowed down. Using my movement I was able base and kill Vader AoE, Arica and Cad trading for Shedao and two Ossus, a most equitable trade IMO. 3pts

Next against Hinkbert... I had to be patient because of HK and his shooters and really what hurt me was my inability to clear out just one or two of his mouse droids to clear the path to Revan sooner; because when I got to him in round five the beat down was on and I just couldn't finish him off in time "numbers make me angry," oh and so do Revan and Satele! :evil: Loss

Final match pitted me against Juice Man and his undying Ganner; must tip my hat to Juicy as it was the most infuriating build I faced all weekend, because The Ganner simply wouldn't die! I won map and I chose his map Peaceful City mainly because he would invariably plop Ganner down in gambit and I would be in the same situation as I was against Hink. However I was able to move my force up enmass and instead of launching my Ossus against Jacen JK, I decided on the full assault on the Ganner. To cut to the chase, just about every single piece in my squad engaged The Ganner and the amount of damage was staggering and with no cost Lightsaber Def and Avoid Defeat and MoTF2; then sprinkle in Essence of Life he was a flat out beast. Finally he went down along with Mara Jade, JM and Cade Padi. 3pts

So Epic on Epic occured in the center ring as I had wanted in 2 of 3 matches and the four (4) CE limit also kept things from getting out of hand with the builds.

I will simply say this, it was the most fun I've had playing in an Epic 500! :)

"Purple Jeedai Eaters"

Czulkang Lah
Warmaster Tsavong Lah
Warmaster Nas Choka
Shedao Shai
Nen Yim
Ossus x3
Yammosk
Zam Wessel, BH
Klatoo Assassin x2
Rodian Assassin
Uggie Demo x3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:24 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

TimmerB123 wrote:
Thanks to Gerry (and Mrs. Russell) for the amazing hospitality!

It was our pleasure!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

DarphNader wrote:
For the Epic, I wanted to shake up the format by encouraging Epic on Epic encounters. By stipulating that only the Epic piece could score gambit (worth 100 points) this indeed would force combat. Now that I've had time to reflect I'm not sure I'd reduce the gambit points, using my three matches as a baseline three very different gambit scenarios occured.

In my first match against emtjoe, my WC stole swap from Thrawn which was important be cause my map choice of Cantina prevented me from getting into gambit but it was still a solid choice from a Melee perpective. So as the match played out there was no need for me to for chase down the TPM as he would have been mowed down. Using my movement I was able base and kill Vader AoE, Arica and Cad trading for Shedao and two Ossus, a most equitable trade IMO. 3pts

Next against Hinkbert... I had to be patient because of HK and his shooters and really what hurt me was my inability to clear out just one or two of his mouse droids to clear the path to Revan sooner; because when I got to him in round five the beat down was on and I just couldn't finish him off in time "numbers make me angry," oh and so do Revan and Satele! :evil: Loss

Final match pitted me against Juice Man and his undying Ganner; must tip my hat to Juicy as it was the most infuriating build I faced all weekend, because The Ganner simply wouldn't die! I won map and I chose his map Peaceful City mainly because he would invariably plop Ganner down in gambit and I would be in the same situation as I was against Hink. However I was able to move my force up enmass and instead of launching my Ossus against Jacen JK, I decided on the full assault on the Ganner. To cut to the chase, just about every single piece in my squad engaged The Ganner and the amount of damage was staggering and with no cost Lightsaber Def and Avoid Defeat and MoTF2; then sprinkle in Essence of Life he was a flat out beast. Finally he went down along with Mara Jade, JM and Cade Padi. 3pts

So Epic on Epic occured in the center ring as I had wanted in 2 of 3 matches and the four (4) CE limit also kept things from getting out of hand with the builds.

"Purple Jeedai Eaters"

Czulkang Lah
Warmaster Tsavong Lah
Warmaster Nas Choka
Shedao Shai
Nen Yim
Ossus x3
Yammosk
Zam Wessel, BH
Klatoo Assassin x2
Rodian Assassin
Uggie Demo x3

I didn't see any of this match, and it didn't really click until later. How on earth did you win?

First off, you didn't have a choice - you HAD to do an all out vs Ganner. None Shall Pass forces you to end adjacent.

Then Jedi reflexes lets him hit you on the way in.
He hits for +20 vs Vong, so he slaps every one of your characters for 40 (30 after crab armor, but only if he doesnt brutal strike - which is free at 1/2 hp) before you even enter the square.

Brutal strike means you eat it and no counter attack.

Then when your Ossus go down there's a 50/50 chance they defect to his side due to Jeedi Heresy.

You'll never get momentum more than once, since you have to stay adjacent. (If you even get it at all due to likely having the disrupting droid duo)

I was talking to Jake about it, and I couldn't remember Joes exact build. But it seems like he could heal anything you could put out.

It would only take 3 turns to kill all your boys at that crazy +20 bonus.

Not to mention NR player can put a gauntlet of nasty IN FRONT of the ganner that you have to take AoOs from in order to base The Ganner (no you cannot attack them due to none shall pass)

It just seems un-winnable.

Props to you for perhaps being the only person ever running epic Vong to beat The Ganner.

Jake is convinced that you both must have forgotten something on Ganners card.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:59 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

TimmerB123 wrote:
DarphNader wrote:

"Purple Jeedai Eaters"

Czulkang Lah
Warmaster Tsavong Lah
Warmaster Nas Choka
Shedao Shai
Nen Yim
Ossus x3
Yammosk
Zam Wessel, BH
Klatoo Assassin x2
Rodian Assassin
Uggie Demo x3

I didn't see any of this match, and it didn't really click until later. How on earth did you win?

First off, you didn't have a choice - you HAD to do an all out vs Ganner. None Shall Pass forces you to end adjacent.

Then Jedi reflexes lets him hit you on the way in.
He hits for +20 vs Vong, so he slaps every one of your characters for 40 (30 after crab armor, but only if he doesnt brutal strike - which is free at 1/2 hp) before you even enter the square.

Brutal strike means you eat it and no counter attack.

Then when your Ossus go down there's a 50/50 chance they defect to his side due to Jeedi Heresy.

You'll never get momentum more than once, since you have to stay adjacent. (If you even get it at all due to likely having the disrupting droid duo)

I was talking to Jake about it, and I couldn't remember Joes exact build. But it seems like he could heal anything you could put out.

It would only take 3 turns to kill all your boys at that crazy +20 bonus.

Not to mention NR player can put a gauntlet of nasty IN FRONT of the ganner that you have to take AoOs from in order to base The Ganner (no you cannot attack them due to none shall pass)

It just seems un-winnable.

Props to you for perhaps being the only person ever running epic Vong to beat The Ganner.

Jake is convinced that you both must have forgotten something on Ganners card.

All of what you state is of course true. Jeedai Heresy never worked when rolled, I brought my guys in willingingly knowing they'd get hammered but the trade off was to kill The Ganner.

As it pertains to "None Shall Pass" if that means The Ganner acts as a gravity well for all of my pieces then this was most likely handled incorrectly for my shooters and Shedao. So a mechanics clarification regarding NSP would be in order. Regardless of any inconsistencies I brought the heat and yes the my Ossus G's got wiped out when it came to Ganner's turn.

Last edited by DarphNader on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:00 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

And yes... lots of failed crab armor saves.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Shooters further than 12 away are fine.

Your figs within 12 (or Vong within 16 due to Nas Choka) of an empty space next to Ganner must end adjacent to Ganner. This is counting the shortest path for movement.

It sounds like he didn't have the tekli/cilgal healing machine or disruptive, and that would have changed a lot.

Anyway - it does sound like you did some awesome moves and props to you for making a near auto loss a win!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:27 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Juice did have Tekli and did heal him once, no Disruptive which I would agree would have negated the incoming blast with Momentum and CF. So he does act like a gravity well; then there is no free will for any of my pieces and therefore they would be draw to him like the proverbial moth to a candle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Then the only ooof was Shedao and it wouldn't have mattered, as he was disposable like the Ossus. They were the sacrifices for the main beef who were in fact adjacent to Ganner (Czulkang, Nas and Tsavong).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:05 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had a similar Ganner build in mind when I thought I might be able to make it. I had double disruptive from the droid duo and HK. I had Cilgal and Tekli and Vergere for some crazy augment healing action. Cilgal could heal 60 Tekli could heal 40 and Vergere could heal 40. I had Dr E. to surgery and heal 30 more and of course give him avoid defeat. My Mara Jedi to do her thing when your close and HK is damage dealer as well. I had Rohlan Dyre for an extra gun gaing twin from the droids became a double twin greater mobile cunning gun to add more punch. My intent with this squad was use the gravity well and pound on everyone while I heal everything. It's a shame I didn't get to try it out and I wonder how that would have faired against your Vong or against some Ganner on Ganner action would have been crazy to play.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:59 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

That was the big thing in our match, no Disruptive. If there was an HK, Kyle or Hanny/r2po Galactic Zeros lurking my massive initial attacks would have made this a virtual loss. Another point of curiousity was that there was only one shooter in Juicy's squad and that was Wedge.

Make no mistake here, I took losses in this match as Brutal Strike and Jacen's lightning killed Shedao and my Ossus. However just with the beef they still were very potent. Czulkang d/t for 30d, Nas d/t for 30 and Tsavong triple for 30. All without Momentum and CF after engaged the Ganner.