logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Late adds to a tournament
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:06 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Due to several requests for it, even at the championship level, with the next version of the software I plan to add the ability to add in players late to a tournament. Technically speaking, this shouldn't be an issue. However, I'm not sure the best way to implement this.

In particular, how should the win-loss record work for someone who is added after the first round? If it's the middle of a round, should I automatically pair them up against the player with the bye, or give them the bye if no other players are available? If I don't do that, do I treat their first match as a win, or as an auto-loss? Should we not permit late adds in any tournaments?

As my software runs now, if a 'late add' were permitted, I suspect that the new players would be treated as having an autoloss, as in they have no wins or points, so would be paired lower. However, I suspect this may also guarantee that they are at the bottom of the pool due to also having no SoS, while the other one losses would have been bested by someone. Thus if there are an odd number of players, they would automatically get the bye, and essentially a free win. This does not seem right.

I'll need to do testing once I'm at that point, but I felt that I should get this out for discussion now, before I end up running into this interesting little caveat further into the development of version 2 of the code.

Post subject: Re: Late adds to a tournament
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
This is the way, I've always run it. Late round adds should have losses for any missed rounds, and it should be up to the player with the Bye, whether they want to play the late addition during their Bye round.

Basically the late round add has no chance of winning the tournament and is just playing for the fun of playing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:46 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

If there are enough rounds the late player could conceivably go undefeated (plus his autoloss) for a 4-1 or 5-1 record, and make the playoff cut with that, couldn't he?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Anything is possible. Generally though if someone is competing to win, they can show up on time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:11 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

A 5 round tournament has a minimum of 17 players, a 6 rounder has minimum 33. These days those are extremely high attendance and are pretty much only found at major events. Especially if it has a top cut.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:32 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Any late adds I've had have always called ahead and been entered into the tournament at the same time as everyone else. They either then get the bye or become the bye untill they arrive.

Simplest way to do it. I don't want to get into a myriad of what if scenarios. If they didn't call ahead and are late...tough. We're already pretty laid back on these things, and can often time start a little later if it's more than one person. No more concessions to untimeliness are needed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:02 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thanks for the feedback.

The more I think about this, the more I think the actual issue might be the fact that if someone were to arrive just as the software kicked out pairings for round 1, someone would like the option to add them in during the first round. The alternative is to re-enter everyone into the software, and then set everyone up as they were, as that takes time. That I can understand a bit better, and making the software accommodate this just makes it easier for someone to use. Using this to help lazy people who miss a tournament start time without prior warning would likely not be the goal.

I've got plenty of other features that I need to address, and as such, this option is going to remain as it was in the last version: A no-go unless someone can present a compelling argument for it. Right now, simple planning ahead and clever use of the bye player and drop player option should be sufficient for helping out a straggler that is thoughtful enough to call ahead, or someone you expect to show, but never does. The software can't solve every problem.