logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Mouse Age
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:21 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

What EU stuff was ruined by the cartoon?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

FlyingArrow wrote:

Even Piell is the biggest one that I know of

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:55 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Would that classify as a "ruin"? I see it more as an inconsistency, and really not worth worrying about. But then, I'm not a person who has read all the novels and comics either so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I've just read the Zahn novels and a few others, as well as a few of the comics here and there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

FlyingArrow wrote:

Actually my biggest beef was Mandalore and the Mandalorians. It totally wrecked the wonderful Mandalorian culture and homeworld that was created in large part by Karen Travis, and then of course built upon and deepened by many other authors.

The portrayal of their people and planet is so vastly different that it was embarrassing. It caused Karen Travis to never make another Star Wars book again she was so angry (and rightfully so in my opinion).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Actually my biggest beef was Mandalore and the Mandalorians. It totally wrecked the wonderful Mandalorian culture and homeworld that was created in large part by Karen Travis, and then of course built upon and deepened by many other authors.

The portrayal of their people and planet is so vastly different that it was embarrassing. It caused Karen Travis to never make another Star Wars book again she was so angry (and rightfully so in my opinion).

Yes, that's a good point. When I saw the "mandalorian" culture on the TV show, I thought, "What? That would NEVER ever happen!"

It's like doing a re-make of "300" and having King Leonidas say, "Okay, we'll bow to your king's wishes" rather than "THIS IS SPAAAARTAAA!!"

The CW TV show totally botched the Mandos, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

oh yeah I forgot about those episodes... must've been some reason.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:40 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yeah, the Mando thing was totally overblown. If they did not have the Death Watch, then perhaps. But they showed that the peaceful Mandos weren't the only ones. Besides, Traviss's Klingons was not the only way, and flew in the face of what had been established before her.

The Clone Wars biggest issue is the timeline. The period got pretty fleshed out between AOTC and ROTS. Fitting in 5+ seasons into what was already established is going to be tough. The upcoming OT ongoing comic has the same issues. I think Greivious has taken more hits, though it lines him up more with how he was depicted in ROTS, he isn't as impressive as his first appearence.

The timeframe of Episode VII is a big concern. The Bantam era of the EU is pretty well covered, it will be tough to fit in a movie. I'm prepared for things getting tossed out. I'm just hopeful the movie we get will be worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:34 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

All we can do is hope and pray at this point bat the EU is left intact as most hardcore fans have some hold in it. Even the video games like Jedi Knight/TIE Fighter would get messed up. But anyways I am hoping for what another poster said about them picking it up after fate of the Jedi. Not just because I love the EU, but because the original actors are the perfect age for it. Imagine an old grizzled Indiana Jones 4 style Harrison Ford as Han Solo. Carrie Fisher could get all cleaned up and jump in as the grandmother, and Mark Hamill could stop doing voices and come back into the light as the aged and wise Luke.
Then a whole new cast of characters for the next generation with Ben/Vestara as the leads. Even starting in the jedi temple in future coruscant! Vong! Chiss! Lost Tribe freaking space pirates sith!!! Abeloth!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I should just copy paste this to Disney right now and beg them to see the logic haha.
It just works!

More then likely this is actually what's going on at Disney HQ:

Disney CEO "Well the old gizzard actually did it, he all me Star Wars... And... And I have no idea what I'm doing with it... *picks up phone* ah yeah Mickey? Hey just tell the boys to not touch anything, literally anything at all and just leave it all be. We are in way over our heads! Anyways I have to go, got that conference call with DC and Star Trek this afternoon."

Too much power....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

:lol:

Good idea about using the same actors though. I'd like to see that happen. It's not too often that actors can reprise the same roles more than 30 years later....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:02 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

well no matter what happens fans wont be 100% happy....

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics