logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Star Wars: The Mouse Age
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-b ... on-2012-10

Well, George gets to retire even richer.

I am a bit concerned, since it looks to be the end of the EU as we know it, with the surprise announcement of Episode 7.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Mouse Age
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:01 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I knew he'd cave, but I'm surprised he did it so soon. $4 Billion, sheesh LFL's no Facebook LOL. Maybe now we can get the original movies on Blu Ray. In a related article LFL stated that George's chin fat was staying on board as an adviser.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:08 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Was this premonitioned by WOTC????
First the Mouse Droid took over now Mickey!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:15 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

It's got to be good for the v-sets too, right? There'll be some major new characters to represent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:23 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TheHutts wrote:
It's got to be good for the v-sets too, right? There'll be some major new characters to represent.

Honestly, I'm not sure. There is a good chance Episode 7 invalidates all post ROTJ EU, which is a very strong foundation of the current game.

I am sad that this likely means Dark Horse will not be able to renew their license for Star Wars. Back to the family comic company, Marvel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:28 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think that it is an interesting announcement, on the video on starwars.com he says he has movie treatments for 7-9 but Kathleen Kennedy said she is sitting down with writers. So hopefully we will see that they wish to continue with cannon on this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:48 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

NJO - Star Wars 7 thru 25.

:saber:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:06 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Sithborg wrote:
There is a good chance Episode 7 invalidates all post ROTJ EU

We can only hope. No Thrawn, no Mara Jade, no Skywalker/Solo/Antilles/Fel extended families, no Vong. If only it could be erased, but our game we can do whatever we want with. Here comes Infinite Crisis Star Wars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:45 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Rather than writing a new discussion of what I think about this, here I what I posted on Facebook, both mine and the Atlanta Star Wars Gamers page tonight regarding this:

"
WHAT THE dankferrik!!??!!?? Disney--the dankferrik Mickey Mouse maker, maker of shitty full animation movies is buying Lucasfilm, the Star Wars franchise, Skywalker Sound (the facility for George Lucas's movies, animations, etc), Industrial Light and Sound, and the rights to the Indiana Jones series for $4,05 billion. People, if we hadn't bitched so much about the changes in the 3-D versions of the films, George Lucas might not have sold us out and retired!! Noted, they were bad changes, but still...

However, I am OVER THE MOON excited about the fact that the 7th movie(coming in 2015) and possibly the next 3 are going to happen will follow the scripts that George Lucas and Lucasfilm were developing, and Star Wars will not be corrupted by Disney--Lucasfilm is still going to exist and control Star Wars. What I hope is that they will follow the orginal plans an scripts, making at least the first movie(hopefully) about Han and Leia's kids and then they will follow the EU, such as the Timothy Zahn series, Mara/Luke, Ben Skywalker, the YV invasion, etc What does everyone think?
"

Apologies for my language in the post but I felt it conveyed by emotions.

Rising out of swmgamers silence to post this--MFalcon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:49 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Sithborg wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

Honestly, I'm not sure. There is a good chance Episode 7 invalidates all post ROTJ EU, which is a very strong foundation of the current game.

I am sad that this likely means Dark Horse will not be able to renew their license for Star Wars. Back to the family comic company, Marvel.

I'm going to try and keep a glass half full outlook on it initially. There were more than a couple George Lucas decisions that were unfortunate over the years. Perhaps with him out of the picture we will get more of what we love about Star Wars and less of what we don't (ahem, Jar Jar).

Now with Dark Horse, there could be room for both DH and Marvel. It all depends on how they can generate the most money to make their investment worthwhile.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My sister just gave me the news cause I was working all day. My initial thought was that he's been making money off of star wars for almost 40 years and it would continue forever if he kept it so I first thought that $4 billion wasnt enough. But Scott said it perfect.

As far as the movies are concerned.
Plain and simple, I'm worried.
Lucas was not a great director but still we all know the story we came to love and to have it die and essentially start over is not what I want to think about. It's then of Star Wars as we know it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'll be honest I think I want to mail in my fanclub card now. My fandom really lies in the EU and while this might be heresy I didn't really care for the characters in the movies for the most part. I would say that the odds are they can't keep the EU intact as we know it and will start the remaking in the first movie..

Basically I feel like the Star Wars I know and love probably died today..

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:42 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I for one am extremely excited about this new marriage.

I was never a big "EU" fan. Leia and Han marry and have twins? Come on.

Luke gets married? Seriously?!?!??

I will admit the books by Zahn weren't half bad but a little meh with all the cloning, and rehashing 4,5,6 IMO but had some good points and of course I liked Thrawn.

As long as they take a "Batman / Marvel-like" approach with these movies then they will be successful and they could be the most successful / most watched movies ever made. I honestly hope they do create new material (Disney did make 7 of the top 20 grossing movies ever made to date) so I will hold out and say that as long as they get the proper director and introduce some interesting ideas and keep a "darker" less "childish" theme (think: no Ewoks / Jar Jar) then I feel this will be a home-run myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I got worried when they bought Marvel Comics too. Nothing really changed as far as I can tell on that, besides the fact that we got some pretty sweet movies out of it.

I'm of the frame of mind to sit back and see what they do with it. They did just buy a GIGANTIC franchise so they will more then likely take steps to not tred on anyones toes or piss off their fanbase. I see Episode 7 taking place WAY after ROTJ and falling sometime after all the EU books. They probably won't kill the EU that way and they can go in any direction without fanboy's bitching about their favorite EU character no one ever heard of can't exist now.

Let's just see how they handle it, we made it through the god awful prequels. These can only be better now that George is out right?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Did rebooting Star Trek work? I don't know - I never followed it in the first place, and I don't now. I hope it failed. If it worked, they might try the same thing with Star Wars.

On the other hand, they can just skip over 30 to 40 years of EU stuff and continue the story after Fate of the Jedi... then keep going from there.

I'm a big fan of consistency. Throwing out dozens of books and video games and comics worth of canon just doesn't appeal to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:36 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

FlyingArrow wrote:
Did rebooting Star Trek work? I don't know - I never followed it in the first place, and I don't now. I hope it failed. If it worked, they might try the same thing with Star Wars.

It was a success. The sequel is finally coming out next year, I believe.

The fact that they out right said Episode VII leaves me to believe this isn't a reboot (at least to non-movie stuff). There may be recasting, sure. But what long term franchise hasn't recasted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Recasting wouldn't bother me. Getting the original actors would be a major bonus, but not necessary. I don't think turning the novels into films would be a winning move because the studios want to unleash some surprises on people, but it seems that Lucas intentionally left this huge gap from Fate of the Jedi up to Cade Skywalker's time where there is no canon at all. It's the perfect spot for the movies, wouldn't step on existing EU canon, and would match up perfectly with the first two trilogies to tie them all together.

* Prequels: Anakin is the chosen one but falls to the dark side.
* OT: Luke is Anakin's son and leads him back to the light side.
* New trilogy: Ben is Luke's son and takes Anakin's place as the chosen one.

The Fate of the Jedi/cartoon revelations about what it means to be the chosen one leave a perfect opening there. Just a couple of flashbacks to establish some background about celestials, etc. is all that would be needed to tie the whole thing together. Probably less than 10 minutes of the movie. There's not even any need to mention any of the EU canon for this to work. Will it? Doubtful. While I hope against it, I expect that they'll just squash the whole EU canon, but stick with the movie canon as is. The cartoons - that's kind of iffy. But really since they aren't touching the Clone Wars era, they probably won't mess with the cartoons.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:55 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Weeks wrote:
Let's just see how they handle it, we made it through the god awful prequels. These can only be better now that George is out right?

yes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:49 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I personally don't see why anybody thinks that 7,8 and 9 would be better if Lucas was still in 100% control.

He created the universe that we all love, but frankly beyond that he's a fat bag of uselessness in my mind.

The prequels were a product of him being in charge of everything, and surrounding himself with "yes" men that just agree with all of his ideas.

He's a horrible director, he can't write dialogue to save his life. He depicts human emmotion like a droid would.

OK - I guess he deserves some credit for pioneering sprcial effects and sound. But that often seems to be his downfall as well, since he focuses on that more than story or relationships or anything human.

The original trilogy was better due to collaboation with others. Lucas has great ideas, but then they need to be shaped and helped along by others. Empire is widely considered the best movie because it had a FOR REAL DIRECTOR.

Furthermore, why is everyone stressed about what Disney will do to the EU? Under Lucas's watch the Clone Wars cartoon already took a giant s#*t all over some really quality EU material. Lucas doesn't seem to even care about the EU at all other than it makes him money. So Disney in my mind (at worst) will just do what Lucas would have anyway.

My guess is that with Kathleen Kennedy at the helm, she will at least give some thought to the EU. I will bet it will mess some stuff up, but it won't be the total destroyer of all post RotJ EU.

But - like everyone, we have no choice but to wait and see. And I WILL be watching those movies regardless. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

+1 Well said, Tim. I agree all the way.