logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Upcoming Map List
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:04 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

I need a favor.

I was unable to get any of the maps available at Gencon this year. So if anyone has them I need you to post your comments here along with any playtests.

I've seen most of them prior to release and was able to get a pretty good feel for them, but playing is always better.

There are 4? at least and I'm sure someone else can post the names/images...

Post subject: Re: Upcoming Map List
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:10 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

There are 4. 3/4 are easily up for consideration. I need to break them out to look at them more closely again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Sithborg wrote:
There are 4. 3/4 are easily up for consideration. I need to break them out to look at them more closely again.

Thaty had been my initial assessment as well, with the 4th even being a possible I believe....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Command Deck

Security Deck

Hangar Deck

Simulation Deck

I've only had one game on Command Deck, but based on that I thought it was one of the strongest maps out there. Sorry that it's not very helpful data, but I'd fully support it being added to the Restricted List.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:40 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I have played the Command Deck half a dozen times or so. It is a really good map. I have played a variety of squads on it as well from double lancers to shooters. It is a good and fun map to play.

Security Map - will not be good for tournament play. Think Mustafar

Hanger deck I have only played twice. Not sure.

Sim deck is an exact mirror. Interesting map and good site lines for shooters and interesting places for melee to advance. I have only played it twice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:50 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

where and when can we purchase these maps?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:27 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

LordDragon wrote:
where and when can we purchase these maps?

Mapsofmastery.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:32 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LESHIPPY wrote:
I have played the Command Deck half a dozen times or so. It is a really good map. I have played a variety of squads on it as well from double lancers to shooters. It is a good and fun map to play.

Security Map - will not be good for tournament play. Think Mustafar

Hanger deck I have only played twice. Not sure.

Sim deck is an exact mirror. Interesting map and good site lines for shooters and interesting places for melee to advance. I have only played it twice.

I like Security, Hangar, and Command. If I had to pick two I'd side with Les. Command and Sim are both really fun to use. Sim has some funky difficult terrain in the middle which makes rushing gambit interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:47 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Ive played on them all a few times and truthfully, I think only Command and Sim are ok for restricted play. Hanger on the ship side allows for some really tough entrenchments in gambit on the ship that are just really hard to win once your opponent has gotten themselves set up. As far as Security it just didn't seem fair for both sides. as far as movement places and ways to get to gambit.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:39 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Command Deck should be restricted. It was balanced and fun to play on. Didn't play on sim deck since we left the mystery map tourney early to grab some lunch, so I can't say any more than it looks good. Security deck was a nightmare for me during the bounty hunter challenge. There just wasn't any way to advance from the side with all the open bays over the ship without walking into a huge trap. Hanger deck would take some more playing, but from the games I played on it during the mystery map tourney I didn't think it was balanced enough for restricted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I loved playing on Simulation deck, and the free-standing doors and lots of difficult terrain makes it a unique and fun map. I can't think of a squad that can really take advantage of it. It has some long shooter lines, but they require doors being open and are easy enough to avoid if you know what you're doing. Gambit is very protected from the long lines, too, which I like.

Hangar Deck isn't too bad, but the ship side probably does have a bit of an advantage. Deep strikers would also go nuts if they got the left side, because the right has very little protection from them. It's reasonable, but I would need to play on it more to say for sure.

I haven't actually played on either of the top 2 (the BHC maps), but I fell in love with Command Deck when I first saw it. It has everything I would want in a restricted map. Long lines of sight for shooters, but not too long and they're avoidable, Gambit is fairly well protected, places to stow your commanders on either side so they aren't too vulnerable to deep strikers, lots of variety. Great looking map.

I don't think Security Deck should be on the restricted list. The left side just has so few options.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

No to Hangar Deck for Restricted. It might even belong in Open instead of Standard. I haven't tried to abuse it, but as mentioned, I think there are certain squads where the left is going to just dominate, not to mention the advantage of entrenched gambit.

I like Simulation Deck for Restricted. The random pits are a neat and unique feature, although we haven't used any pushers to take advantage of it yet.

No opinion on the other 2 yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

FlyingArrow wrote:
I think there are certain squads where the left is going to just dominate, not to mention the advantage of entrenched gambit.

As a general note, comments like this really don't do much. My first response is :So what? They won't get that side anyway.

Now, the secondary question of: Does it make it so imbalanced that giving your opponent that side would be seriously detrimental to you (and thus, you'd never bring the map in the first place) then there is serious cause for concern.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:54 pm 
General
General

I'm going to stay out of the discussion for the most part, but I'm paying attention to what's being said here with an eye on future map development.

I'm particularly interested in learning to what extent Simulation Deck can be broken with squads tailored to it. It's a symmetrical map where side choice is taken completely out of consideration, and you can plan your squad knowing exactly what your setup options will be if you play on it. That in itself may be a point against it or a point in its favor, and I'm curious how this community will respond, either way.

Incidentally, I'd love to hear playtest reports from groups who try a "King of the Hill" or "Capture the Flag" scenario on Simulation Deck, using the central bunker as a control point that allows you to override your opponent's energy doors as long as you hold gambit. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Mapmaker wrote:
I'm going to stay out of the discussion for the most part, but I'm paying attention to what's being said here with an eye on future map development.

I'm particularly interested in learning to what extent Simulation Deck can be broken with squads tailored to it. It's a symmetrical map where side choice is taken completely out of consideration, and you can plan your squad knowing exactly what your setup options will be if you play on it. That in itself may be a point against it or a point in its favor, and I'm curious how this community will respond, either way.

Incidentally, I'd love to hear playtest reports from groups who try a "King of the Hill" or "Capture the Flag" scenario on Simulation Deck, using the central bunker as a control point that allows you to override your opponent's energy doors as long as you hold gambit. :)

Chris, even though I don't recommend the Hangar Deck for restricted, I love it. The two level hangar bay is just great. And the pit to the trash compactor is perfect. And the complete ship multi-level (with kitchen, refresher, and enough beds for the whole crew!) is great.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Regrettable bump.

And yet, I get complaints if it appears I unilaterally make a decision....

:/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Regrettable bump.

Huh? I read plenty of input.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:58 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yeah, I thought there was lots of feedback here. If you would like more input or playtests on any of these maps then by all means, let us know. I'm sure people would be happy to submit more reports or run more tests if they knew those things were needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Weeks wrote:
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Regrettable bump.

Huh? I read plenty of input.

17 comments.

7-8 (depending on how liberal I am) of people saying I like this or this should be this.

1-2 comments with any sort of why. Mostly Daniel's.

I must of missed the memo of what constitutes legitimate input nowadays. Yeah, I like this is okay, as player preference does have a very minor influence...but really, nothing but that is not what I need.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Maybe you should give clearer guidelines of what you're looking for instead of being so condescending about it. You're also asking for help during the downtime we have every year. Nothing big is comin up until next year. Maybe get with Jason and have him let all the maps in question be played at his event to give them a solid field test? That's better then what we got going now.