logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: X wing game
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:32 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Have not find this so if it is out there just let me know. But wanted to hear what everyone thought of the new X wing game? is it worth the price? how does the game play? easy or hard to learn?

Post subject: Re: X wing game
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:40 pm 
General
General

Mark and I (Tim) of SWMiniverse.com have tried the game and enjoy it. We've talked about it in episodes 58 and 59 of the podcast.

You'll hear people say "It's like Wings of War" which is a WWII aerial dogfight game. It is like it. But that's okay; WoW is a good game. And X-Wing goes further with the unique pilots (Darth, Luke, etc) that we're familiar with. And they're better than the average pilots. Duh. :D There are some good combos that can be difficult to face. Plus there are various tactics like medals (you know, those gold things that the Rebels didn't deserve earning) that can impact the game also.

I'm curious why if Vader was such a talented pilot as Ben admitted then why is Wedge just as strong in this game. Sure, Rebels will say that in the battle of the Death Star a rising skill Wedge showed equal talent to a decreasing power Vader. Us Imperials think that is just a mis-guided spin by a struggling rag-tag group who got lucky.

X-Wing is easy to learn, but not so easy that you can't have fun with it. Each ship has a separate movement dial where you select your maneuver in secret. You and your opponent will reveal these and then moves the ships using sturdy board templates. It does have the feel of an aerial dogfight -- trying not to stress the ships, guessing/second guessing what moves your opponent will make, trying to stay one step ahead, and hoping for those great shots. Some other more complex games factor in the 3D elevation element; you don't need that but could easily factor that in if you wish.

It took a while to get into stores, but it's out there. Ask your FLGS to order some if it's not already on the shelf.

Worth the price? We think so. Mark has bought heavy into it and we're having fun with it. And we're excited about the announced expansion sets.

Feel free to join our forum as we expand discussion of the game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

http://afewmaneuvers.yuku.com/ which is a forum deicated to the game,with cross over from here....

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:50 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Next Time I'm in town can try i try it out. I'll throw mark a email.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:54 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Worth the price of admission, I just hope FFG has a good long term plan beyond wave 2 model release in Dec.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:04 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

This game is definitely worth the money. If you order online (MM or CSI), you're paying $26 for each core set and $10 for each expansion. I have spent $122 and I am totally complete with my collection until the next wave comes out. I bought 2 core sets, 1 TIE Fighter expansion, 2 TIE Advanced expansions, 2 X-wing expansions, and 2 Y-wing expansions. Compared to what I spent on SWM for one complete set, $122 is nothing. This is more than enough to be competitive in this game and I'm not stuck with a bunch of extra figures that I'll never use.

The next wave which should be out in December includes the Falcon, Slave I, A-wing, and TIE Interceptor.

ender_ is correct about AFM. I created it (http://afewmaneuvers.yuku.com) about a month ago to help organize X-wing players. We still have a long way to go but we're slowing building a community. Come check it out if you're interested.

Roy

AFM: drkjedi35
Bloomilk: swrogue57

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:09 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'd be a bit more interested if the minis were a bit larger. Still, I'm more interested in the LCG.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:18 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I don't know how much larger they could have been, like the Titanium line? It's hard enough finding 3' x 3' play areas. On the plus side for you, FFG screwed up the scale and hoped no one would notice, so Ties are way bigger than they should be compared to the Rebel ships.

Now that you mention it, I think if they had been made in a much smaller scale (A&A minis scale) it would have been more practical for game play as well as expanding the line to include the larger mid sized ships that are just impossible in the chosen scale.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:23 am 

Actually I think the scale is much better than most people think. If you look in the back of the rulebook at the pics of the original X-wing, Y-wing, and TIE models these look pretty damn close. And 100x better than WotC's attempt.

By the way, AFM has a place for the LCG also. There is hardly anything there right now since the game hasn't been released yet, but I'm hoping to grow it once the game is released.

Roy

AFM: drkjedi35
Bloomilk: swrogue57

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:18 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Yeah, that pic in the back of the book is hilarious. Those movie models were not built in scale to each other, but because there is a photo of them sitting on the table together FFG assumed they were. Good thing the Falcon model the size of a quarter wasn't on that table too. :D The cockpit of the Ties if they were in scale with X-Wings would be as roomy as the Falcon's.

The minis themselves are so much better than their SSB counterparts, they are not even close.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:00 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I dove in whole-hog on this game and am glad I did. The game play is quick, the mechanics are simple, but the customization options give it great depth with what ships are available now and it will only get deeper with time. I never played Wings of War so I can't comment on its similarity to that game, mechanics-wise, but I've heard from people that did that there are similar elements.

Personally, I need a thematic connection to really enjoy any game I play (unless it's a completely abstract game like "Ingenious") so FFG had my money already when they announced the game but, having played it a few times, I can see this as a game I really get into. I'll be participating in my first tourney at HammerCon in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on the first weekend of November which I believe is being put on by someone from SWGamers. I'll try and remember to take pics and report back.

For anyone local to Hamilton, here's a link to the actual event:

http://www.hammercon.ca/node/350

This 100-point tournament is on Sunday at 1:30. There are other X-Wing events on Saturday but they appear to be demos, not tournaments.

Will we see a dedicated X-Wing section on this site at some point?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

R5Don4 wrote:
Yeah, that pic in the back of the book is hilarious. Those movie models were not built in scale to each other, but because there is a photo of them sitting on the table together FFG assumed they were. Good thing the Falcon model the size of a quarter wasn't on that table too. :D The cockpit of the Ties if they were in scale with X-Wings would be as roomy as the Falcon's.

The minis themselves are so much better than their SSB counterparts, they are not even close.

Ha, check out this pic of the prototypes from last year here. It looks like FFG actually had the scale right and then at some point decided to "fix" it and make the TIEs way too big.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:49 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Ok, I'm all in. I just ordered 2 each of the Core, TIE Expansion, TIE Advanced Expansion, X-Wing Expansion, and Y-Wing expansions. I also signed up for the AFM site. My kids can't wait to play it with me! :fight:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:06 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Cool beans Trev. I think your kids will really dig it. I've played with my neices and nephew (8, 5 &4) and they all thought it was a blast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:52 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

All I know, is if Engineer is convinced to get the game, I may as well. I'm not too eager, because at the moment, I can't afford what I would want to get.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:44 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Wait one flipping second, Eric's on board? Well slap my a&*& and call me a b*****!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:16 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

R5Don4 wrote:
Wait one flipping second, Eric's on board? Well slap my a&*& and call me a b*****!

Last I talked to him, he seemed more open to it than when he demoed it last year. He can still be convinced I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:53 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

I need to play a few games.

If it still is Wings of War light, then not so much. Measuring really takes the fun away for me. I played Mage Knight and other games back in the day. Grids (or hexes) are really nice.

I don't understand why they did not make this game grid based? Think about how a Knight moves, two diagonal for a Bishop, etc.

I'm going to make a new place on these forums for talking about the X-wing game (as soon as I get a chance, so in about a month or less).

I'm hoping that at Mini Mania II, I will get a chance to sit down with Lou and get a few games played.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:49 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

There is a Vassal module already but the interface seems pretty crude compared to the SWM mod to me. You also either need to physically have all the game components to use it or at least a separate spreadsheet of that info.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:50 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

R5Don4 wrote:
Ha, check out this pic of the prototypes from last year here. It looks like FFG actually had the scale right and then at some point decided to "fix" it and make the TIEs way too big.

That TIE Fighter is actually a Galoob Micromachine, so they hadn't finished their sculpt yet :)