logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Do you want to make a piece for a v-set?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:14 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

1. Loving the idea for this thread. Props to the design team for this.

2. Loving some of the ideas thrown out here. I can really get behind some of them.

3. I agree with the idea that we can't throw a name out there on its own. There needs to be a basic concept with the name at least. If in the design process the concept completely changes, then so be it. But just giving a name is not that helpful.

As such, I love the idea of an anti-bounty hunter. I think a Duros Anti-Bounty Hunter would be cool. We need more Duros in the game.

I also like a Peace Brigade recruiter who possibly gives out the Peace Brigade ability, or YV Collaborator ability.

As it stands now, these two concepts get my vote. That may change though. I, personally, have no ideas for non-uniques that we need.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:15 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
spryguy1981 wrote:
Yeah, those are two different ideas Don. Have some nifty tricks for both, and a new ability.

Let's hear about 'em. Don't keep them to yourself if you want to get anyone to give you a +1. Sell it baby.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:22 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This is a thread where double posting seems to be okay. I'm thinking more about the Peace Brigade Recruiter. If he gives fringe characters YV Collaborator, this may encourage the use of cheap fringe guys in YV squads. It seems we have been trying to steer towards a more pure YV faction though. So maybe we need to have him get a boost for the Peace Brigade itself.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:47 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo or leshippy,

What is the reason for the October 31 deadline? Are the actual names really needed, or is it just "step 1" to make us decide on something by a certain date. If it's the latter, I think we should just decide on a "starting point", not necessarily on a name.

Some of the suggestions are to draw on something particular from canon (e.g. the Czerka Assault Droid, Bothan Spynet Agent, Jensaarai Adept), but many are proposed for their in-game effects more than representing something specific from canon (e.g. Fringe Anti-Force Bubble, 3-point piece, Anti-Bounty-Hunter, boost something specific like Gammorreans or Peace Brigade). In the latter case, we've all been putting names to the figures, but because it's the game concept that matters more than the name, it means we're talking stats already.

I would prefer to see a ballot where we are choosing to start either from canon or from a game concept. Something like what's below, and then we vote to choose two of them (either 2 names, 2 game concepts, or 1 of each):

From Canon:
Bothan Spynet Agent
Czerka Administrator
Czerka Assault Droid
Aing-Tii Flow-Walker
Kiffu Guardian
Nekghoul
Drexl
Jensaarai Adept
Scrap Drone
Hex Droid
Sith Intelligence Operative

Game Concept:

Boost Skiff
Boost Gammorrean
Boost Savages
3-point piece
Cost 15ish Force User
Boost Defels
Boost Peace Brigade
Anti-Hunter Abilities

(Note that the above is not a complete list of what's been suggested.)

I think it will be easier to reach consensus if we can agree on a "starting point" of a particular goal: either represent something specific from canon or pursue a particular game concept.

Part of the reason I'd like to separate name suggestions from game concept suggestions is that I'm in favor of some of the game concepts that have been suggested, but not in favor of the corresponding stats proposed or the names proposed. I'd prefer to have the debate focus on the merits of the various goals rather than the "implementation details", but the requirement to get to a name kind of forces us to go straight to the details in some cases.

Would splitting names and game concepts on the ballot be acceptable?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:37 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Jedi Knight, Order 66 Survivor cost 30 (Yes meant to be FRINGE)

Hit Points 80
Defense 19
Attack +10
Damage 20

Melee Attack, Double Attack.
Parry.

Force points 1, Renewal 1
Knights Speed,
Force Simulate (force 3, Replaces Turn: for the rest of the skirmish this character gains a single Force powers of any character within 6 squares.

Charon cost 18
Hit Points 40
Defence 16
Attack +7
Damage +10
Melee Attack, Quadruple Attack, Speed 10
Doctrine of Fear 2 (Living enemy characters get -2 to Attack, Defence and Saves rolls within 6 squares)
Large base- thanks to R5Don4 for pointing that out.

Ok here's my two, cost and wording will need looking at but should be Ok as a starting point

Anyway the Peace Brigade Recruiter gets my vote out of what others have suggested. 8-)

Last edited by dreadtech on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:51 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Shouldn't this Jedi be Rebel/Republic like all the TFU Jedi? You see it more as a Fringer?

Charon seems cool. Is it on a Large base or Medium?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

R5Don4 wrote:
Shouldn't this Jedi be Rebel?

Agreed. Keeping with precedent, any 'good guys' during the Dark Times would be Rebel with Republic Affinity or vice versa.

Edit: See Kazdan Paratus, Shaak Ti, Ferus Olin, Jax Pavan, General Kota.

Last edited by FlyingArrow on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:00 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

No, Fringe
A Jedi on the run after order 66, but before the formation of the rebel alliance. The character is in part inspired by Jax Paven from the books, After the rise of the Empire but before the Rebel Alliance, Jax at that point in time did not consider himself as a jedi of the republic or a rebel. Well not in book 1. By book 3 probably did by then, and in part by west end games RPG characters.
I guess he could have Rapport to cost 1 less if in A republic or Rebel team. or Just change the name to jedi wanabe if its that much of a problem. LOL.

Charon
Good point, yes should be large

Last edited by dreadtech on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:18 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I'll +1 the Charon. Bug dude aliens rock. I see potential here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:35 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

FlyingArrow wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:

Agreed. Keeping with precedent, any 'good guys' during the Dark Times would be Rebel with Republic Affinity or vice versa.

Well see him more like Mariss Brood. Plus there are other characters who have been on a faction and fringe such as Aurra, Jango, Lando.
At the end of the day its my character, if you and others don't like it don't support it. I will not take it personally :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:54 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

dreadtech wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:

Well see him more like Mariss Brood. Plus there are other characters who have been on a faction and fringe such as Aurra, Jango, Lando.
At the end of the day its my character, if you and others don't like it don't support it. I will not take it personally :)

Right, that's fair. In game terms it can just come out thematically weird but such is the nature of Fringe in SWM.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Are we designing community pieces or voting on existing custom pieces to include (and then make some adjustments to them)?

Either way it's a great opportunity, but I understood this to be the former. Especially given that the first step was to vote on just the name - nothing about proposed stats. I know we all have customs that we've designed, some of which are great. But with this exercise, I'd think that even after we figure out what 2 pieces we're designing, we start with a blank slate. Whoever suggested the idea initially - theirs would be just one voice and their starting proposal wouldn't necessarily have any more weight than anyone else's starting proposal for the figure's stats.

I'm just trying understand the what the steps of the whole process should be. Seeing a bunch of full stat blocks makes me wonder if I'm working from different assumptions from some other designers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dreadtech wrote:

Okay - I could see that, assuming he's more of a 'fend for myself' type person now that he's on his own. The people who have fringe while also having a faction version are those who work with a faction but would ally with anyone for the right price (or to save their own skin). Not really a Jedi trait, but I could see a purge survivor going that route. I think Maris Brood is Fringe because she was a Jedi but turned to the dark side. If she stayed light, I think she would've been Rebel/Republic like the others. At any rate, I see the case for a fringe Jedi purge survivor.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:17 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Here are my two!
Sorry the "***" are a secret ;)

Mercenary, Gun for Hire

Hit Points: 40
Defense: 14
Attack: 7
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Twin Attack

Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Camaraderie (Mercenary Allies gain ******************.)
Grenades 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)

Commander Effect
Mercenary followers gain ***********************

Nightsister Spellweaver
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 14
Attack: 9
Damage: 10

Special Abilities

Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Rapport (Cost 1 less when in the same squad as a character whose name contains Nightsister Mother.)

Force Powers
Force 4

Force Lightning 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage)
Nightsister Control Web (Force 1; usable on this characters turn; range 6, enemy force powers cost +1 force point extra until the end of the round. This ability stacks.)

"...he is a wound in the Force..."

Dinuir ni verda kyr'am ner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:42 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

The king has arrived. What else do you have in that magic hat?

I would like to encourage everyone to submit more than two entries. The key is to come up with something that others can get on board with. This process isn't going to work if everyone just submits two names and no one considers other's ideas for fear of invalidating their own entries. Also you can like more than 2 entries. I seem to be the only one to have +1'd like half a dozen and submitted half a dozen. At this point everyone can only vote for a piece once and you can't vote for yourself. I'm keeping track of everybody's entries and votes on a post on the first page so please don't go back and edit your votes without quoting it so I can adjust the list.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

+1 to anything boosting Gamorreans.
+1 to whatever was anti-Hunter abilities.
+1 to Bothan Spynet Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I like the idea of an Ysalamiri, or at least i'd like a way to nerf Bastila a little. She shuts down so many squad concepts, it's not even funny. Totally agree with it having to cost 11 or more becayse of Zann/Lobot though. It would be a shame if it ended up nerfing force users in general.

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:44 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

biggsy wrote:
I like the idea of an Ysalamiri, or at least i'd like a way to nerf Bastila a little. She shuts down so many squad concepts, it's not even funny. Totally agree with it having to cost 11 or more becayse of Zann/Lobot though. It would be a shame if it ended up nerfing force users in general.

This is the ability I'd like to see nerf Bastila just a little bit:

Master Meditation: replaces turn; Force 2 - for the rest of the skirmish, enemy Force Powers with Meditation in the name cost one more Force

Bastila's problem is that ABM can be on nearly 100% of the time from rounds 2-6 if she uses no other force powers and OR is on par with activations. Master Meditation would make it so she could only keep it on about half the time. I imagined that being on a NR Luke, but it could just as easily be on a master of a Force Adept sect that focuses on meditation.

I guess my suggestion, then, is "Force Adept Master" (or choose your own sect if you prefer).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:06 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Sarlacc

I think I have RotJ on the brain lately. I'm thinking Huge base, Emplacement, Swallow smaller sized minis, Ensnare close by friends and foes, tons of HP.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Oh, that would be fun! +1 to Sarlacc!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next