logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Post subject: Do you want to make a piece for a v-set?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:34 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Here is the deal. We, the designers, are looking to see what the community will come up. Here is the challenge. Come up with two non-unique fringe characters and their stats.

The only rule is this if you are or have been a piece designer for the vsets, you don't get to play. Sorry :( If the community ask the opinions of the designers then they may give their opinion.

First dead line Oct. 31. Name of the two fringe pieces.

Go!

Post subject: Re: Do you want to make a piece for a v-set?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Sounds fun! Here are my suggestions:

Peace Brigade Recruiter
Bespin Guard Security Officer

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Bothan Spynet Agent
Sector Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:52 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Czerka Administrator
Czerka Assault Droid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:00 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Jumping right in I've got a few kicking around:

While I have submitted full stat blocks, please consider them not to be set in stone finished works.

R5Don4 wrote:
Weequay Skiff Master
Cost: 8
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 14
Attack: 4
Damage: 10
Rarity: Common
Base: Medium

Gunner +20 (Can combine fire with adjacent allies who have Mounted Weapon, granting +20 Damage)
Skiff Master (Followers with the Special Ability Desert Skiff may transport an additional 1 Large or 2 Small or Medium allies. If that ally is defeated all transported allies may make a second save of 6 to avoid defeat in addition to the first save of 11)
Rapport (A character named Nikto Gunner on Desert Skiff costs 1 less when in the same squad as this character)

Commander Effect
Allied characters with Rigid may Squeeze. Allied characters with Desert Skiff gain Advantageous Cover.

The Hutt gangster Jabba Desilijic Tiure maintained a small fleet of Bantha-II cargo skiffs at his Dune Sea palace

RM: Weequay Gunner

The Skiff always stunk. A chase Huge VR but it stunk out load from day one, this unit would give it a badly needed boost. The Skiff is a Fringe movement breaker, but currently unplayable. I'd rather see a new piece boost an old one than replace an old one.

R5Don4 wrote:
Gammorean Enforcer
Cost: 16
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 14
Attack: 6
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Melee Reach 2 (When attacking, this character treats enemies up to 2 squares away as adjacent)
Immobilize (An enemy adjacent to an ally hit by this character's attack may not move until the end of the round.)
Threatening Reach (This character may make attacks of opportunity against enemies within 2 squares.)

The Gammoreans should have been a bit more threatening than they have ever been in this game. This guy was designed as a mild Yobuck/Lancer counter, kind of a Melee Zuckuss BH. Inspired by the trope of a guard with a long polearm. Add Weak Willed for flavor?

R5Don4 wrote:
Saurin Combat Trainer
Cost: 18
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 19
Attack: 10
Rarity: Uncommon

Special Abilities
Rapport (Costs 1 less when in a squad with a character whose name contains Jabba)
Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, he can make 1 immediate attack against another adjacent enemy)

Commander Effect
Allied Gammorean characters gain Close-Quarters Fighting and Deathstrike

Jabba the Hutt employed a Saurin combat instructor for the gangster's Gamorrean guards. The Saurin came to hate both his employment and his employer.

This piece goes conceptually goes along with the Gammorean above but helps out the original Gammies as well.

When designing a Fringe commander one has to take into consideration the eligible followers, by making the scope very narrow it also narrows any unforseen abuse. Too cautious?

R5Don4 wrote:
Wampa Den Mother
Cost: 26
Hit Points: 100
Defense: 16
Attack: 7
Base: Large

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Ambush (This character can move and then make all her attacks against 1 enemy who has not activated this round)
Immobilizing Rend (If both of this character's attacks hit the same enemy, that enemy cannot move this round)
Savage (This character must end her move next to an enemy if she can and does not benefit from commander effects)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Synergy (+4 Attack and +2 Defense while an allied character with Savage is within 6 squares)

Commander Effect
Characters with Savage are subject to this commander effect, Savage followers gain Charging Assault +10 and Synergy (+4 Attack, +2 Defense when within 6 squares of an ally with Savage).

Although they primarily hunted alone, some wampas occasionally hunted in packs, banding together to attack a threat to their territory

Another Commander, this time for Savage characters who have always blown pretty hard. There has been some progress made with the advent of the Vsets but they still could use a boost. Again choice of character is because Wampas in either version always seriously lacked anything worth playing even though it is a movie creature that is easily recognized by all walks of life as part of Star Wars.

R5Don4 wrote:
Black Vulkars Gangleader
Cost: 18
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 17
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Affinity (a character named Sith Heavy Assault Droid may be in this character's squad regardless of faction.)
Deadeye (On this character's turn, if he doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage)

Commander Effect
Black Sun, Black Vulkar, Dark Hellion, and Mercenary followers gain Loyalist (once per turn, when an allied commander within six squares is targeted this character may make an immediate attack against that character.)

Don't ask me where I got it, do you want it or not?

Sets up a mini-sub Faction, helps a couple existing subfactions. Gives a bit of body guard ability to counter deep strike Assassination strategies.

R5Don4 wrote:
Vynock
Cost: 6
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 13
Attack: 0

Special Abilities
Attach (Replaces attacks, Remove this character. 10 damage to an adjacent non-living character. Each round the character activates it takes ongoing 10 Damage. Save 11 negates.)
Demolish (Ignores Damage Reduction of adjacent targets)
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)

The vynock is an atmosphere-breathing subspecies of the mynock.

Cheap to be brought in through Lobo. I thought the concept of Attach was perfect for the Mynock, but we already have a Mynock. Poking around I Wookipeedia I found the Vynock.

EDIT: Visual references added

Last edited by R5Don4 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:07 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

Love the peace brigade recruiter, here is my take on him

Peace Brigade Recruiter
18, hp 50, def 15, ATk 5, dmg 10
SA
Yuuzhan Vong collaborator
Thud bug
Tizo worm(this character counts as yuuzhan vong for the purpose of commander effects)
Camradirie (Peace Brigade Allies gain Tizo worm and thud bug)
CE
Peace Brigade allies gain bounty hunter +2 while within 6 squares of this character

Bouncer [from russan] (RM mynock)
15, hp 20, def 20, ATk 0, dmg 0
SA
Impulsive Savagery
Flight
Intuition
Lend Strength (replaces turn; transfer one force point from this character to an adjacent ally with a force rating)
Force power 3
force fear (force 1; all living characters within 6 squares have -2 attack and -2 defense)

CE
Adjacent Allied Bouncers gain Empathy

Trandoshan Huntmaster
30, hp 80, def 16, atk 6, dmg 20
SA regeneration 10
double claw attack
rend +20
net Gun 16
bloodthirsty
CE
Trandoshan allies (including this character) may use abilities that replaces attacks twice per turn
Trandoshan allies gain Net Gun

And one that requires heavy tweaking Aing-Tii Flow-Walker (RM Dejerik piece)
50, hp 100, def 18, atk 12, dmg 30
SA: melee attack
hardened scales
double attack
Penetration 10
Shockstaff
Force 2
Force Renewal 1
Aing-Tii Flow-Walking: (Force 3;) After initiative is determined, a character can use this Force power to take an immediate turn before any other character activates. (This does not count as an activation, and this character can activate again later in the round.)
Force Teleport (force 4, replaces turn; touch, move one adjacent character to any empty square, that character counts as activated this turn. This move does not provoke attacks of opportunity)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:16 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Reposting this. Apparently you guys aren't reading.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:19 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Kiffu Guardian
Cost 17
HP 50
Def 16
Atk 8
Damage 20
SA
Melee Attack
Intuition
Shock staff + 10

"The Kiffu Guardians or Guardians of Kiffu, were a group formed by the Kiffar to patrol the prison world of Kiffex and provide law enforcement on Kiffu and its sector."

Nekghoul
Cost 28
HP 80
Def 16
Atk 9
Damage 20
SA
Melee Attack, Double Attack
Rakghoul Disease

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Corruption 2
Force Blast

Nekghouls are considered to be the frightening next stage of Rakghoul evolution. A corruption of the force made manifest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:20 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Weeks wrote:

Hey, no helping! ;)

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:21 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Echo wrote:
Weeks wrote:

Hey, no helping! ;)

LOLZ you gull darn kids. Using the throw a ton of crap at the wall and see what sticks method is what I'm going for at least. See anything of interest? Names are there, there's two you can choose there. If you require me to edit down my post and give you only what is asked for as it asked for, I will. I'm not trying to break any rules, just designing openly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:36 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Actually I think the rules DO need a little more explanation, so I'm going to give help, despite saying not to do that a scant 2 hours ago.

Keep in mind that you guys are designing these pieces. As in, the community. We aren't asking for ideas for what you want US to design, we want YOU to do it. Whatever you finally come up with will obviously have to pass by the designers for whatever set they get inserted into (and the designers have final say on any changes they want made to it), but this is a community project. The first step to making 2 pieces is, well, deciding what 2 pieces you guys want to make. Throwing out ideas now is a fine idea, but the deadline for at least having the 2 names decided is the end of this month. If you don't have the names figured out by then, the project basically ends, because we don't want this to go on forever and if the community can't agree on things as simple as what the names of the characters will be then we don't want to hassle with creating a full stat card (of course, if you do miss the deadline, feel free to talk about what you would theoretically want to do with the pieces as long as you want, but it might or might not get put into any V-set).

So yeah, this is a challenge, and kind of a contest. Step 1: pick the names. You guys decide, and have to have some kind of consensus by the end of the month. If there's no consensus, challenge failed pretty much. This is to help everyone get a sense of how the design process works, because we work with deadlines the same way.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:45 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Drexl 52
Hit Points: 180
Defense: 18
Attack: 8
Damage: 30
Base: Huge
Special Abilities
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Carry Off (Only affect medium and small characters. When this character hits an enemy with mobile attack take that enemy off the map. When this character finishes its move place that character in any safe square adjacent to this character.)
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
"What an impressive, flying beast he rides! I've never seen one like it!" "These beasts originally come from the nearby moon. The Onderonians tame them, but this one was too vicious to be handled." ―Exar Kun and Cay Qel-Droma

Some one suggested a bouncer above, which I like, but I think it should look more like this. I remember them as being all things good, absolutely not savage.

Bouncer 9
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 8
Attack: 0
Damage: 0
Base: Small
Special Abilities
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
Mountable (Replaces turn: This character and an adjacent ally can move up to 12 squares simultaneously; during this move, that ally gains Flight. At the end of the move, that ally must be adjacent to this character.)
Pure of Heart (Can not be on a squad containing characters from the Empire, Separatist or Sith Faction if any of those characters have a force rating.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:57 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Please don't pick Glass Jaba or Inflatable Rancor. We are already working on stats for them for V-set 42. :)

see what I did there?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:10 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ok I vote for Sector Ranger and a Jensaari Adept.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:20 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

This is my idea for the Jensaari:

Jensaarai Adept Fringe
HP-100 Melee Attack, Double Attack
D-20 Force Attuned Armor
A-11 Jedi Reflexes
Dam-20

Force 2 Renewal 1

Ballistakinesis (2 force points, replaces attack, range 4,target and every character within 2 squares takes 30 damage, save 11 reduces damage to 10.)

Ligthsaber precision

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:17 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Here are the suggestions so far:

Sarlacc +10
Peace Brigade Recruiter +7
Dashade Warrior +5
Merr-Sonn/Blastech/Black Sun/Black Market Scientist/Technician/Dealer +5
Saurin Combat Trainer/Gammorean Leader/Boss (CE for Gammoreans) +5
Bespin Guard Security Officer +4 [Design team has said don't do this one]
Gorog Killik +4
Hunt Saboteur +4
Outer Rim Pirate/Privateer +4
Pirate Captain +4
Zann Consortium Ysalmiri Cage +3 (-1 from Jake)
Black Sun Slicer +2
Black Vulkars Gangleader/Mercenary Commander +2
Chiss Commando +2
Chiss Fleet Commander +2
Dead Tauntaun +2
Defel Assassin +2
Ewok Catapult +2
Landspeeder +2
Trandoshan Huntmaster +2
Tusken Warlord +2
Weequay Skiff Master+2
Bothan Spynet Agent +1
Bouncer +1
Charon +1
Defel Jedi +1
Door Control Panel+1
Houk +1
Immobilized Droid +1
Jawa Warlord +1
Jensaari Adept +1
Killik Joiner +1
Mercenary, Gun for Hire +1
Nerf Herder +1
Nightsister, Spellweaver +1
Quarren Captain +1
R6 Droid +1
Scrap Drone +1
Sector Ranger +1
Ysalamiri +1 (-1 from Jake)
Yuuzhan Vong Hunter Mouse Droid +1 (-1 from Jake)
Aing-Tii Flow-Walker
Aing-Tii Monk
Bith Bartender
Bounty Hunter
Chiss Tactician
Crimson Nova Bounty Hunter on Speeder
Czerka Administrator
Czerka Assault Droid
Derriphan
Drexl
Duros/Rodian/Snivvian Recruit/Civilian/Tech Specialist/Bureaucrat/Engineer
Explorer
Felucian Chieftain
Force Adept Master
Gambler
Gammorean Enforcer
Gran Thug
Heavy Ordnance Mercenary
Hex Droid
Inflatable Rancor
Jabba's Dancer
Jensaari/Mutukai Trainee/Apprentice
Kessel Prisoner
Kiffu Guardian
Mustafarian Leader
Nekghoul
Novice
Order 66 Survivor Jedi Knight
Pleasure Hologram
Sabotage Droid
Sandcrawler [Design team will not allow larger than Huge]
Savrip Champion
Shield Generator
Sith Intelligence Operative
Skiff
Smuggler
The Spirit of the Molator
Veteran
Vynock
Wampa Den Mother
Wookiee Bodyguard
Wookiee Bounty Hunter
Wookiee Traditionalist
Zann Consortium Majordomo

Last edited by R5Don4 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 61 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:36 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Scrap Drone (with Steal Force or similar)
Bespin Guard Security Officer (not my idea obviously)

Darth O on Bloomilk
Oliphantodude on Age of Empires 3 if you're keen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:12 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm not really that concerned about the names of the characters - I'm more interested in what roles the pieces would play. Two things we don't have that I think would be useful to have...

* another 3 point Fringe piece of some sort. Brutes to swap, Mice for CEs, Uggies for doors, and all for activations. If you don't need swap, CEs, or doors, there should be another option to do something else useful with those 3 points. Not too particular about what that is - just tired of the same activation filler over and over for the past 3 years. I'd vote for a Rodian or Duros because there are lots of unused options there for RMs.

* a 14 point Force user (preferably with a lightsaber). The only Fringe force users from 11-19 are Logray and 2 tech pieces (Baran Do Sage and Felucian Shaman). A 14 point minor melee threat would be a nice option. For that matter, the only 11-19 Fringe offensive melee piece that sees play is a Rakghoul (excluding several tech/gimmick pieces in that range).

With that in mind, here are some suggested names to fit those categories:
* Duros/Rodian Recruit
* Duros/Rodian Civilian
* Duros/Rodian Tech Specialist
* Duros/Rodian Bureaucrat
* Duros/Rodian Engineer

* Lightsaber Trainee
* Jensaarai Apprentice
* Matukai Apprentice
* (Insert any other Force Adept organization that engaged in melee combat) Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:25 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

R5Don4, thanks for compiling that list.

I have a question about the 'rules'. What does it take to get a consensus? Unanimity is probably an unrealistic goal. Majority rules? 2/3? 3/4? Is it just the general feel of what people say in the forum or will we have formal votes? Everybody gets a vote or is there a level of participation required to get a vote?

Or are these things just left up to our discussion, too?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:56 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

FlyingArrow wrote:
I'm not really that concerned about the names of the characters - I'm more interested in what roles the pieces would play. Two things we don't have that I think would be useful to have...

* another 3 point Fringe piece of some sort. Brutes to swap, Mice for CEs, Uggies for doors, and all for activations. If you don't need swap, CEs, or doors, there should be another option to do something else useful with those 3 points. Not too particular about what that is - just tired of the same activation filler over and over for the past 3 years. I'd vote for a Rodian or Duros because there are lots of unused options there for RMs.

* a 14 point Force user (preferably with a lightsaber). The only Fringe force users from 11-19 are Logray and 2 tech pieces (Baran Do Sage and Felucian Shaman). A 14 point minor melee threat would be a nice option. For that matter, the only 11-19 Fringe offensive melee piece that sees play is a Rakghoul (excluding several tech/gimmick pieces in that range).

With that in mind, here are some suggested names to fit those categories:
* Duros/Rodian Recruit
* Duros/Rodian Civilian
* Duros/Rodian Tech Specialist
* Duros/Rodian Bureaucrat
* Duros/Rodian Engineer

* Lightsaber Trainee
* Jensaarai Apprentice
* Matukai Apprentice
* (Insert any other Force Adept organization that engaged in melee combat) Apprentice

This type of post is much more productive than a pair of random names or a block of stats without a reasoned explanation. Designer egos aside we should take this opportunity to make pieces good for the game to fill a void where we see it however small it may be.

At this point we are just picking the name but that seems a bit cart before the horse without a concept behind the name. Some are relatively self explanatory such as the Bespin Guard dude that keeps popping up as the initial leading choice. Any previous suggestions I would encourage to be expanded upon with the basic concept, role the suggested mini would fill.

How do we come to a consensus as to what the two pieces names will be? It appears that is up to us to figure out. I think we'll have to go with majority rule here and trust the mods to fetter out any smurf accounts based on IP address.

I'll keep updating my previous post to keep track of the voting and I'll compile all of Flying Arrows suggestions as only two different ones as he only gave us a plethora of options for names of the two minis.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next