logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: GenCon 2013 planning
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:58 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes it was only about a month ago and many of us were together pushing plastic "men" around on a piece of paper and rolling dice. From the sounds of it most folks that went to Gencon had a great time and made stories that they will share on and on when ever Star Wars Minis players gather and the drinks start flowing.

GenCon takes a lot of planning by many volunteers and we are starting to think about what events we want to have in 2013. In 2012 the sealed event was a huge success. We are already planning on doing that again this year. This time around we have recruited more volunteers to help with the custom figs so they will be even better then last year. The v-set 6 designers are also working on the set that will be used for this event. We are still working on the set list, but there are some characters that you have been asking for for a long time that we are creating. :fight2:

We will also be doing the championships again in 2013. But those are only 2 of the multiple events that we ran last year. What would you like to see in 2013? What did you play in this year and did you enjoy it? Is there something new you would like to see added?

Let us know.

Some of the ideas we have already heard about include the following.
Retro or Throwback tournament. Pieces from only Rebel Strorm, Clone Strike, Revenge of the Sith and Universe would be legal along with uggies and R7s. Digital cards may be used since we realize some of those sets are difficult or expensive to get.

Post subject: Re: GenCon 2013 planning
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:14 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

The V-set only event was probably the thing I was most excited about. I was a bit on the fence about going to GenCon till I saw that event and once Regional season was over it was the event I focused on for playtesting and such.

I also really loved being involved with the BHC. Not only did I get to hang out and demo the game to some great people, it also got me involved in playing with and playtesting huge costed figs. (Luke will be seen again on my table HAHAHAHA)

I would love to see both of those events come back and Im already officially volunteering for the BHC if it comes back and would love to help with it anyway needed :)

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The Bounty Hunter Challenge "targets" are being designed currently. So look to see that again in 2013.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I have strong feelings on the Jedi Challenge and I think this year missed the mark a little for what it should be. But I also understand the need to shake things up and give something a little different, so this is my proposal. Let me know what you think, and if you would find it as exciting as I do and would want to play in it.

Now this idea I am very excited about, and I really think it will work.

Jedi challenge.

I am a purist in that I think it should be 100, 150, 200. I don't like heavy luck tournies being a part of it (MM, sealed, ED, etc). But that doesn't mean we can't make it interesting. I thought the V-set only tourney was a very interesting concept. Seperate but related note - I have heard interest in old skool tournies restricting only to older sets. So - I present my suggestion for next year's jedi challenge:

100pt: Rebel Storm - Force Unleashed ONLY
150pt: Legacy of the Force - Masters of the Force ONLY
200pt: V-sets only

100pts was played in the early years, which is what most of the sets featured in that tournament were played at.

150pts was played in the mid years, much like most of the sets in this tournament.

200pts is what we play today, just like the sets were played in this one.

I looked into it a bit, and it's surprisingly balanced and wide open. in 100 and 150, every faction has access to override, so doors won't be an issue. At 200 everyone has shatter beam access in addition to plenty of other door busting methods, so again it won't be an issue.

I really think this satisfies many needs for the Jedi Challenge.

A) It rewards squad-building at 3 different point levels and excellent play at each level

B) It has 100, 150, 200 pt levels

C) It doesn't add in extra luck factors (MM, Sealed, etc)

D) It keeps (in a similar way) the V-set only tournament

E) It satisfies the crave for throw-back tournaments

F) It fits surprisingly neat into 3 tournaments

G) It's something new and creative and I think would get people excited.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

+1 to Tim :)

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:07 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
I looked into it a bit, and it's surprisingly balanced and wide open. in 100 and 150, every faction has access to override, so doors won't be an issue. At 200 everyone has shatter beam access in addition to plenty of other door busting methods, so again it won't be an issue.

I think if anything Lobot has shown, is that everyone having Override does not solve the inherent problem of Lockouts.

And while maps may help a bit with the 150, who really wants to play in the 150 enviroment as it was with just the last sets.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:21 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

audrisampson wrote:
+1 to Tim :)

Glad you like it. :)

One of the issues with a roster for GenCon is always too many fun things with too little time to fit it all in. And of course attendance counts.

This was one of the motivations for how I proposed the Jedi Challenge. We really can't have a separate v-set only tournament, throw-back tourney, in addition to a regular 100,150,200pt Jedi Challenge. So some ideas get married.

That's what happened last year with Royal Rumble and the Team Tournament. I'll be honest - at first I was against it. We had quite a challenge figuring out how to even make it work after it was announced, but I think it ended up being a lot of fun and I think most people agree. I think it should be back.

Mystery Map is always popular, and if we have map-makers up for it again, I think it should be a part of the Sith Trials like it was before. Likewise with TILE WARS.

I think Sealed should be it's own separate event (not a part of Sith Trials or Jedi Challenge). It was very popular and will stand on it's own.

I think that the time has come for Dynamic Duo to be put to rest. It had a nice run, but the attendance just isn't there.

Epic Duos suffered similarly, but I think one of the main issues was it was split into three tournaments and not a part of a bigger event. I think there is enough interest to still have ONE Epic Duos tournament (catch some of the people from the dropped DD) and make it part of the Sith Trials again. Do it constructed so it's less luck of the draw. This also helps because for the 3 tournament uber events (Jedi Challenge and Sith Trials) it helps to have one event that runs shorter (ie Epic Duos or a 100pt tournament) so it's not quite so grueling.

Here's my suggestion for schedule:

Thurs:
Jedi Challenge
10am 100pt: Rebel Storm - Force Unleashed ONLY
1pm 150pt: Legacy of the Force - Masters of the Force ONLY
6pm 200pt: V-sets only

Fri
10am World Championship Swiss
7pm Royal Rumble Team Tournament

Sat
9am Sealed
Sith Trials
1pm Mystery Map
5pm Epic Duos
8pm TILE WARS

Sun
9:00am 500 pt Epic
10:00am WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL 8 Scheduled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithborg wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

I think if anything Lobot has shown, is that everyone having Override does not solve the inherent problem of Lockouts.

And while maps may help a bit with the 150, who really wants to play in the 150 enviroment as it was with just the last sets.

As long as there are doors that can be locked, lockouts will be possible. It's only really unfair and will restrict the meta when you limit who has access to override and door-busting abilities. WHen everyone has access to it, then it comes down to squad-building and gameplay skill, which are the foundations of our game.

As far as playing 150, it would be different. Note you would NOT get anything before Legacy of the Force. So Rebels would not get Princess Leia, Imperials and Republic would not get Mas Amedda, etc. It's actually dramatically different. And understanding this, most everyone I have spoken with has been really stoked about the idea.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:31 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

If an event is scheduled after the Championship Swiss rounds, its attendance will probably be very low. I know that I have no real interest in playing another event immediately after the Champs.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
If an event is scheduled after the Championship Swiss rounds, its attendance will probably be very low. I know that I have no real interest in playing another event immediately after the Champs.

Maybe you're right, that could be juggled a bit. There will always be something in that time slot though, it's just finding the right fit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:54 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Actually there wasn't anything in that time slot this year. With your proposed schedule of events, not sure where else we would put it. Maybe if we moved the champs to 9 AM start and a 8pm start for the team tourney it would give people at least a chance to eat. That still doesn't take into account the people who once they get out to dinner either wouldn't come back or would have their dinner take too long to make it back for an event.

Would people play in the MM tourney if it were moved to Sunday's tourney slot? The epic 500 I think had only 9 people (not really sure why as lots of people seemed excited about it going in).

That would let us go back to this year's basic schedule with the team Sat night.

Sat:
Sith Trials
Sealed
Epic Duo (still not sure about this one)
Tile Wars

and then team sat evening?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Wasn't there an Epic Duos scheduled Fri night this year? I thought there was something.

Anyway, perhaps Mystery Map should go then? It has a built in attendance.

I guess overall I do like team tournament on Sat night.

I think sealed should be a stand-alone tournament, and Mystery Map should be a part of Sith Trials regardless of when they fall.

Would it upset people to lose Epic Duos AND the 500pt Epic? That means no Epic anything. I would be fine with that personally, but l don't know what everyone else thinks.

If we lose Dynamic Duo (which seems likely) also, we might really need Epic Duos to fulfill a "duo" tournament and an Epic tournament. I am not trying to fight for it personally (it's not one of my favorites) but I am pointing it out trying to be conscious of everyone else's desires too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I will not likely be attending Gencon 2013, but I want to reiterate something that Tim said: please drop DD! lol Epic Duos is at least interesting, but Dynamic Duos...not worth the price of the ticket, IMHO. From what I heard, there were only 8 people involved in the DD event this year, and that was part of the larger Sith Trials!

Personally, I really liked having the Championship on Friday rather than Saturday this year; people are not as tired from lack of sleep on Friday as they are on Saturday, and it gives a bit of a break before Sunday for those who make the Top 8. However, I heard from some people that more people would've played in the Champs if it were on Saturday...I'm not sure if that's actually the case, but it's what I was told. It's probably worth looking into.

Jedi Challenge and Sith Trials are really cool big-events, and I hope they'll continue to be part of the Gencon lineup for years to come. But please no sealed stuff in those; some people (ie, me) put a lot of planning into their squads for the JC/ST events, and it sucks to have your chances so heavily dependent on what you pull in the sealed event. The sealed event was a huge success and its numbers show that it clearly doesn't need to be part of the ST in order to be popular. Put something else back in there instead.

One suggestion (which might or might not be popular) for the Epic 500 format: keep the time limit at 60 minutes, rather than 90. It seemed to me that most of the games were still going to time, even with the 90 minute time limit. Instead of lengthening the tournament so that it cannot be fit in anywhere else but Sunday morning, keep it at the regular 4 hours and tell people to play quickly. I've played a lot of 500pt games, and it's really not all that hard to finish in 60 minutes if both players know their squads and don't succumb to "What-if-I-lose-my-piece" paralysis. It's epic format, so you're going to lose your pieces!! Don't play cautious and cagey, just get in there and blast your opponent's guys as effectively as possible!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:37 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thereisnotry wrote:
I will not likely be attending Gencon 2013

We've heard that from you before. ;) Hope you are able to make it again.

thereisnotry wrote:
Jedi Challenge and Sith Trials are really cool big-events, and I hope they'll continue to be part of the Gencon lineup for years to come. But please no sealed stuff in those; some people (ie, me) put a lot of planning into their squads for the JC/ST events, and it sucks to have your chances so heavily dependent on what you pull in the sealed event. The sealed event was a huge success and its numbers show that it clearly doesn't need to be part of the ST in order to be popular. Put something else back in there instead.

Very much agree. Sealed is fun on it's own and I will most likely play in it again. The bonus of custom figures is a HUGE draw, I know many people played in it JUST for the figures. You know what you draw in sealed is luck, and you take that risk when playing in the tournament. But having it ALSO effect a greater 3 tournament overall is too much. Mystery Map is also a bit luck dependent (certain squads do better on certain maps), but not as bad as sealed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I have an event I would like to run. Details can be found here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15136.

Basicly it's 64 prebuilt teams in a NCAA type tournament bracket. Each team is 50 points, and there are no uniques. 16 players play a 7 round swiss event with 15 minute time limits. Win or loose players keep track of the points they score, and will play a different team each game. Once the elite 8 has been established the 8 players who have scored the most points will choose which team they want to try to take to the championship game in a single elimination format.

All materials would be provided by me. Figures, cards, dice, counters, maps, and LOS tools all provided. It's a fast paced scrub tourney that new and experienced players can compete in.

I have acquired a master collection fairly cheap, and I am willing to put a complete set of Rebel Storm up for the inaugaral tournament. With a complete set of Clone Strike for the second tournament etc..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:15 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Wow, sweet! I like the sound of that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I cannot speak to the entire weekend but I do know that I volunteered to run Epic Duos for Ray on Friday night and that we had 5 people (which is less than 8 for regular DD).

I agree that DD has "run its course" but that's mostly because it was scheduled at times that weren't convenient last year (it wasn't on the schedule enough times this year to make a similar statement) and also because the casual SWM players that made it a success two to four years ago are no longer playing the game at major conventions like this, if at all.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:22 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Randy wrote:
I have an event I would like to run. Details can be found here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15136.

Basicly it's 64 prebuilt teams in a NCAA type tournament bracket. Each team is 50 points, and there are no uniques. 16 players play a 7 round swiss event with 15 minute time limits. Win or loose players keep track of the points they score, and will play a different team each game. Once the elite 8 has been established the 8 players who have scored the most points will choose which team they want to try to take to the championship game in a single elimination format.

All materials would be provided by me. Figures, cards, dice, counters, maps, and LOS tools all provided. It's a fast paced scrub tourney that new and experienced players can compete in.

I have acquired a master collection fairly cheap, and I am willing to put a complete set of Rebel Storm up for the inaugaral tournament. With a complete set of Clone Strike for the second tournament etc..

Randy i know you have ran this before. I know the Kokomo guys went to it. How did it go when you ran it? Wasn't it a comic book con or something else in Indy?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I ran it at Who'syer Con. We had 8 players so it took a long time, but everyone seemed to enjoy it. One player said he was going to try to replicate it at another convention up north somewhere.

I have ran through it 7 or 8 times. After each time I reset the bracket based on how each team did. The strongest teams get the 'easier' schedule, and the weakest teams are rebuilt in an attempt to get the teams as equal as possible. The OR, Sith, and Mandos have consistantly had the best overall showings.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:30 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

TimmerB123 wrote:
Echo wrote:

Maybe you're right, that could be juggled a bit. There will always be something in that time slot though, it's just finding the right fit

I enjoyed the Saturday evening timeslot for the RR team tourney.