logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWM needs to spread its wings.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:48 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

this game, as amazing as it is, and being the #1 mini game really needs to start braching into commercials, magazine adds, and such. now this seems like a lifetime ago, but back when UH came out, and when i got into the game, i was a huge sw fan-huge. but the fact was i NEVER heard of this game. i went to game stores, they had no signs of any kind, posters, anything. even when i asked about the rpg, he never said anything about swm. *being as it is related, you'd think he'd mention it.* i have a bunch of friends in school who love sw too, yet when i said swm, they said "what is that?" how rediculous when they're on the internet all the time and getting their gaming materials at gaming stores. o ihave only RECENTLY seens 1 add*same one both times* in a magazine and a sw site. and the one on the sw site was there for a brief period of time. it was the A&E one. i posted a commercial request/idea thread on wotc *suprise it got locked for being offtopic, how so?* heres a brief description of it.
*this is either CGI, or cartoon*

(cut to yavin4 massassi temple)
The rebels file out of the main enterence of the temple,, commanders yelling orders, troops screaming for battle. they get cover and open fire. then the screen cuts to imperial stormtroopers charging at then on speeders and ground troopers. in the back there is 2 AT-STs coming. Darth Vader, lightsaber and all, leading the charge deflecting bolts coming near him. then it cuts back top rebels, Luke force jumps into the center of the storms and sweeps cutting them down. and then his battle ensues. Han-Chewy-Leia come out firing as well. C3po being so dramatic as always, artoo beeping in annoyance. Vader Meets up with Luke and they have they're battle. they lock lightsabers, and glare at each other. the screen cuts to mini form now, where everything is still in place, but now its all minis.
after the screen scrools out more to reveal the whole map and all, this pops on the screen
"Rule The Empire, Or Save The Rebellion. The Fate Of The Galaxy Rests In Your Hands..."

now if i saw that, and i wasnt a big sw fan, i'd still be awwed by it. now i know it wont happen because wotc is cheap, and couldnt care less about swm, but still a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:03 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Actually, a comic book ad for SWM got me into the game.
I second your motion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:04 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

That would be an awsome commercial, A person who could care less about Star Wars could see that commercial and still want to play lol. I completely agree man i think SWM needs advertisement of some sort, it would really help the game grow as more sets are being released

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:24 pm 
General
General

To me, they really should be ramping up the advertising with TFU the game. If they could fit in a promotional mini into the Unleashed line of figures, why can't they put a promo mini into every copy of the game that goes out? It'd be even better if it was something that actually appeared in the game (say an Emperor's Shadow Guard).

People buying TFU are already gamers (of a sort), and already Star Wars fans. What's not to love?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:32 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Wedge772 wrote:
To me, they really should be ramping up the advertising with TFU the game. If they could fit in a promotional mini into the Unleashed line of figures, why can't they put a promo mini into every copy of the game that goes out? It'd be even better if it was something that actually appeared in the game (say an Emperor's Shadow Guard).

This is such a straight forward and clear marketing opportunity that I'm sure WotC will miss. Such a shame because this is a great idea as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:53 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
o ihave only RECENTLY seens 1 add*same one both times* in a magazine and a sw site. and the one on the sw site was there for a brief period of time. it was the A&E one.

They ran a commercial for TFU on http://www.starwars.com videos prior to release. Screenshots were poster here, and on HOLOCRON.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:56 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

They have had a lot of full-page adds in Star Wars Insider as well.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:05 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I third ,or how ever many pepole have posted, it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:27 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

WOTC should advertise SWM, but posting this here isn't going to help much, it would be a good idea to start a thread like this on WOTC since Rob sometimes reads the threads there and there has been no confirmation that Rob actually reads the threads here. Though WOTC deleted your post for being off topic, might be a better idea to just start a thread making the suggestion to advertise more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:34 pm 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

as had said with my first post, they locked it. it was talking about minis, and they locked it. now that they went all crazy over there, not worth it, and also, i dont have an delusions of this coming to be. or at least in the near future. further nore , im more or less trying to raise awareness and see what people think. if someone wants to quote me and post this there, go for it. but im not going out of my way to have them lock it on me because they are blind to my topic and reasoning. (if you do repost this, please make sure you quote me from the first post)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:39 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Dunno, Magic commercials were the suck, but Star Wars makes everything better!

For those of you that want to gouge your eyes out follow this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0zxVkTH6A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:48 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TV commericials are a bad, bad idea. They are EXTREMELY expensive, plus you have to figure out where the best spot will get the most interest. Magazine ads are the best for SWM (in Insider, and pretty much all the comics) to be sure they can grab the correct crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:15 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

adder wrote:
Dunno, Magic commercials were the suck, but Star Wars makes everything better!

For those of you that want to gouge your eyes out follow this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0zxVkTH6A

0_0

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I do believe there has been an add for SWM in just about every issue of the Legacy comics since April or May. And I'm pretty sure you'll see plenty of things once we get closer to The Force Unleashed video game releasing. Whether the video game releasing will include advertisements for the minis game or not we'll have to wait and see. I think because the minis set released so much earlier, it might not get connected as much when that time comes.

I do think the TV commercial is an excellent idea, and would probably make for a really neat fan film, but the scale that's being discussed would probably cost WotC SEVERAL million dollars to produce (you're talking about reproducing a battle scene from a movie, which are the most expensive parts). An easy way to get around some of it would be to ask some 501st or Rebel Legion people if they would volunteer to be in the commercial so WotC wouldn't have to pay actors, but I'm sure there are other legal problems with that.

Since the Legacy of the Force set is a tie-in to the comics/books and the Clone Wars set next year is a tie-in to the TV series, hopefully we'll see some more advertisements. Actually, might not be too tough for them to do a TV commercial with the Clone Wars stuff next year. Might be able to just splice together images from the cartoon itself and then pan out to miniatures (a la DLV's idea above). Could be somewhat cheap if they use stock footage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:45 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would like to see more posters for SWM. One, because they would get more people into the game. And Two, because I want more SWM posters in my room.

I think there have been SWM adds in the more recent edition of Star Wars Insider. I don't remember seeing any adds in Comic books, but that would be a good place for them. I could be wrong about not seeing them in comic books though, I usually don't pay attention to adds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:55 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

masterjudge wrote:
I don't remember seeing any adds in Comic books, but that would be a good place for them. I could be wrong about not seeing them in comic books though, I usually don't pay attention to adds.

That is fun to read. Comics are a good place for ads, but I don't read the ads.

With a name like Star Wars, you only need to make stuff. People will find a way to buy it (Target Battle of Hoth pack).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:59 pm 

Of course, we could take it upon ourselves to create commercials. Between the stock footage from the movies and the Clone Wars series, could we make one?

Of course, I lack the software and knowledge to edit, but we could come up with a decent 30 second spot, and post it on youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:32 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Fool wrote:
**barfing sounds**

thejumpingflea wrote:
0_0

It's even worse if you actually play the game.

WotC should have a contest to make new commercials for their games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:13 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I wish target or walmart would keep them year round, it's a lot more convient and less awkward then walking into your lgs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:06 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

dnemiller wrote:
Strwrs429 wrote:
I wish target or walmart would keep them year round, it's a lot more convient and less awkward then walking into your lgs.

well if walmart starts carrying the minis kiss your place to have tourneys goodbye.... the LGS cannot stand up to Walmart and the business they would lose would crush them.... I dont really expect Walmart to start having gaming areas at their stores so that is the last thing I want to see
I don't really think so, the lgs I sometimes go to has them 2 or 3 bucks cheaper, then the ones in the store, but if walmart comes into the picture then I guess they're screwed in star wars minis.