logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Danville IL 2012 Regional - June 30th
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:26 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Squads are packed (Super annoying regular squad and TILE WARS x 3 for whoever might want one)

Trade fodder packed

Ready to roll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:29 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

TimmerB123 wrote:
Squads are packed (Super annoying regular squad and TILE WARS x 3 for whoever might want one)

Trade fodder packed

Ready to roll

Awsome sauce, I know our local shop owner is looking to buy for his supply.

On another note I had to win the tourney tonight to get my final Tile Wars piece but I'm hoping to not have a chance to use it. :)

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:57 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

audrisampson wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Trade fodder packed

Ready to roll

Awsome sauce, I know our local shop owner is looking to buy for his supply.

On another note I had to win the tourney tonight to get my final Tile Wars piece but I'm hoping to not have a chance to use it. :)

Congrats on the pre-regional win!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:04 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Thanks, it was pretty tough. Ray and the Missouri guys brought their "A" game and I had to play my butt off even though I had the matchup advatange most of the evening.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:29 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK - since it's the day of, I'll give a hint as to what I am running.

This is actually quite big for me, I am a little queezy just thinking about typing it.

Is everyone sitting down?

. . .

(breathe, Tim, breathe)

Here it is:

For the first time EVER at a regional

. . .

I am NOT running

LOBOT!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:39 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
OK - since it's the day of, I'll give a hint as to what I am running.

This is actually quite big for me, I am a little queezy just thinking about typing it.

Is everyone sitting down?

. . .

(breathe, Tim, breathe)

Here it is:

For the first time EVER at a regional

. . .

I am NOT running

LOBOT!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPu ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:09 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

We have 16 players, it's going to be a great time. I lost first game to a well ran Vong squad by Audri.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:21 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lol, love it Weeks!

Guess what happens when I don't run Lobot?

I get smoked!

Mike Giles just gave me one of the worst beatdowns I've ever had.

Ouch!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:25 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

lol Tim. Maybe if you practiced without the Lobot crutch you would get better without him and wouldn't get smoked all the time. :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

My squad:

--Eternal Bodyguards (aka the most frustrating squad ever!)--
54 Cad Bane
36 Felucian Shaman x2
15 Padmé Amidala
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
70 Felucian x10

(200pts. 17 activations)

So 2 Shaman keep the Aura constant, R2 tows the shaman who actives the aura. Padme makes all adjacent followers a bodyguard, which keeps the shaman alive vs strafe and accurate. I roll up like a tank and camp in gambit, then tow bane to kill anything that threatens.

Surprisingly stout. Positioning is a nightmare. I can handle a lot of different squads. Bad matchups are disruptive AND strafe (I can handle either alone, but not both) or Ysalamiri AND strafe or blaster barrage (once again, need to have both)

Won round 1 vs a newer but very good player. Chance ran rebel elite commandos. I pulled off the 3 pt win barely. He just couldn't get through the aura.

Of course, round 2 Mike G brought disruptive AND strafe. Did virtually nothing to me with the strafes while I had bodyguard, but once he moved up HK, he shut down bodyguard, and strafed and shut off my Shaman's Aura. Went downhill FAST from there.

1-1, lunch break at Buffalo Wild Wings!

Mmmmm, beer!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:46 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
My squad:

54 Cad Bane
36 Felucian Shaman x2
15 Padmé Amidala
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
70 Felucian x10

(200pts. 17 activations)

So 2 Shaman keep the Aura constant, R2 tows the shaman who actives the aura. Padme makes all adjacent followers a bodyguard, which keeps the shaman alive vs strafe and accurate. I roll up like a tank and camp in gambit, then tow bane to kill anything that threatens.

Surprisingly stout. Positioning is a nightmare. I can handle a lot of different squads. Bad matchups are disruptive AND strafe (I can handle either alone, but not both) or Ysalamiri AND strafe or blaster barrage (once again, need to have both)

Won round 1 vs a newer but very good player. Chance ran rebel elite commandos. I pulled off the 3 pt win barely. He just couldn't get through the aura.

Of course, round 2 Mike G brought disruptive AND strafe. Did virtually nothing to me with the strafes while I had bodyguard, but once he moved up HK, he shut down bodyguard, and strafed and shut off my Shaman's Aura. Went downhill FAST from there.

Mmmmm, beer!

Called it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Weeks wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
My squad:

54 Cad Bane
36 Felucian Shaman x2
15 Padmé Amidala
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
70 Felucian x10

(200pts. 17 activations)

Mmmmm, beer!

Called it!

Yeah, but with no specificity.

So I beat Audri in round 3. You'd think this is a bad matchup for me, but it's not. Can't force blast, but I still have parry, and Shamans Aura affects me, and does not respond directly respond to attacks, so she had no answer for my tricks.

Round 4 - if I win I make the final four. Remember the 2 counters to my squad? Guess what? I face Randy with double Ysalamiri. Crap!
He has to get within 6 to affect me though, so it's a match. We both press to the center, he pushes up Pelleaon to negate my aura, so I tow up cad to kill him (roll a 1 but hit the othe 3 to kill him). He wins auto init and runs up a storm commando and hit Bane for 60. So I have to go for it. I tow Bane and go for the kill on Thrawn. I already rolled a 1 with Bane, so I risk it. So then I roll a 1. Just for good measure I then roll 2 more ones (3 in a row with Cad Bane vs Thrawn). Bane dies, he bubbles my aura and picks me apart.

Bummer. There was 2 counters to my squad, and I got paired against both.

Ironically I think I might have had a chance to win it since Mike and his Lancer didn't make the finals.

Oh well, hope I got all that bad luck outta my system before GenCon.

Never playing Felucians again (at least not at a Regional!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:57 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

how is this going?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:18 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Bummer about the 1s...I would've loved to see Felucians make the playoffs!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:48 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

UggieDemo wins in the most amazing game of my life! But hey, NR wins it and I got second place! Details later.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Way to go Wes!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yeah, great job! And good for you too, Ray, taking 2nd. I can't wait to read the tourney write-ups.

....And if NR wins it, then doesn't that mean that every faction has won at least 1 Regional this year? If so, that's AMAZING! I love this wide-open meta...the game is at a better place now than it's ever been! :fight:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:14 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

It was a great tournament today. Wes got the win with NR using Corran and Cad Bane. I came in third with a copy of the Mando squad Audri ran in Owensboro.

Jaster Mareel
Mandalorian Captain
Mandalorian Quartermaster
Mandalorian Scout x4
Mouse Droid x5
Ugnaught x2
Map choice-Peaceful City

Round 1 against Bastilla, Atton, Carth, Jedi Crusader, and Revan. He won map roll and we played on Jedi Temple. I brought in 2 Mando Scientists and a Mando Crusader with Jaster. The scientists kept the twin shots going and I was able to kill Atton and Carth from long range when they tried to snipe off some mouse droids. After that Revan and the others tried to mount an assault, but there was too much open space for them to cross and I had too many shots. 1-0, 3 points.

Round 2 against Bastilla, Master Thon, HK-47, and and IG-86. He won map so we played on Theed Palace. I brought in the same Scientists and Crusader while he brought in 6 mouse droids with Lobot. Bastilla disrupting my Quartermaster made his mouse droid wall pretty impenetrable at 28 defense in cover, and the extra force point from Thon let her use meditation from round 2 all the way through the game. HK-47 was riding on Thon. I think I ended up spreading myself out too much to avoid Thon's repulse, so I ended up not able to kill much of anything other than some mouse droids that weren't worth any points. High point for me was shooting at a cluster of mouse droids with the crusader and splashing them all, even if only two died. We ended up going to time without a decisive victor and I lost on points.

Break for lunch and a couple beers at B-dubs and back to face a familliar foe. There were 3 Bastilla squads in the field, and I played them consecutively in my first three games. He had Master Vander, Visas Marr, and Revanchist. I got my map and brought in the same reinforcements. He brought in Ponda Boba and an uggy. I whittled all his Jedi down as they tried to approach and ended up on top at the end. 2-1, 6 points.

Now that I had run out of Bastilla squads to play, I ended up facing single lancer, HK-47, two IG-86's, and Whorm. A 3 point win would probably guarantee a trip to the finals. I won map and brought in a Mando Gunsmith and a counter-intelligence officer. He brought in MTB, two uggies, and 3 extra mice. We spread out first turn with his Lancer hiding in the crook of the center building. I moved a scout and the Gunsmith towards that side of the map and kept the rest of my squad toward the other side where his HK and IG's were heading. He started a strafe at the end of the second round and went for the gunsmith first. The gunsmith's twin deathshot missedor the lancer would have died after killing just the gunsmith and a mouse. He was caught off guard by that and decided to run the lancer back out of play for most of the rest of the skirmish. The HK boostedmouse droids were actually hitable without bastilla to kill my quartermaster's attack boost. I ended up killing the Lancer and HK, but we went to time without a decisive victory. 3-1 with 8 points. Just enough to sneak into the finals in 4th place.

Finals round one against NR with Corran, Cad Bane, R2-3PO, and the pilot boosting stuff. I won map and brought in the Gunsmith and CIO again. He brought in the TBSV. The story of this game was me shooting and him evading nearly everything. Then he would move up R2, base a scout with corran and kill them without deathshots. I managed to kill off the TBSV and Klatoonian captain, but by then I was nearly out of attackers. So one loss and into the third place match.

Last game was against Weir with storm commandos, GAT, Pelleaon, and Tyber Zann. I lost map and we played on a map I've never played on before, one of the Mos Eisley city maps whose name I can't remember. I brought in an extra scout and a scientist. He brought in a twilek bodyguard and used Pelleaon to swap Nyna for an extra storm commando. This game went down to the wire. Thrawn ran out to try and shoot a mouse droid, but since all the other characters in his squad had stealth, I was able to target him with two of my scouts. Then he moved Weir into a position to kill one of my scouts. The deathshots hit, but I was only able to get 60 damage on him before he ran back to were I couldn't attack him. Then he managed to kill my captain and start killing scouts. I finally managed to start putting some damage on his commandos and kill a few. In the end I had Jaster, a scout, and the scientist against his last commando, weir, and Zann. Jaster was adjacent to the comando and took him down to 10 hp. Then the scientist managed to kill the commando and I ran the scout in to finish off Weir. A very close game and one I'm still not sure how I managed to win since I thought I was behind for most of the second half of the game.

Third place and I got a great Jaster custom that our friend Shawn made. So our first regional in Danville and my first finals. A big thanks to everyone who came. Hopefully everyone enjoyed themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:20 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

As the host of this regional I don't think it could get any better. We had an awsome judge in Leshippy. The prize support came together great with SvenBlackSunVigo's amazing customs, and Christopher West's generous map and tile donations. In the end NR won the regional and proved that every faction is viable.

However there was that other role I had to take.. being a player at this regional. I wanted to do well in this regional so badly. I had felt like I improved my play with each regional I had went to. At Kokomo I felt like I had really played well under fire and thought this was my chance. However real life has a nasty way of ruining the best laid plans and dreams...

My squad for the day was..
4x YV Jedi Hunters
1x Nen Yim
1x Prefect DaGara
1x Yammosk War Coordinator
1x Praetorvite Vong Priest
2x Advanced Scouts
1x Advanced Agent Officer

Map: Cargo Docks

My report really needs to start at my pregame. Even when you use Mini-Manager you need to check your squad's cost to make sure its right. I found this out the hard way during registration when I discovered Mini manager had allowed me to go to 220 pts on the squad from Prefect Dagara's reserves and that all the playtesting and the games I played on friday were with an overcosted and illegal squad. I had to drop the Yomin Carr from the build which really reduced offensive output and any real threat of ranged attacks. What is worse however is this really set the tone of this regional for me.

Round 1 vs Ray

Ray and I played this matchup as the finals of the Friday night tournament. Honestly he nearly got me with me playing an over costed squad so I wasn't sure what to expect here. Also like the night before I won map. The game proceeded and Ray threw everything he had at me, including the kitchen sink in the Millenium Falcon. Ganner was tossing Han around creating a nightmare for my all melee Hunters.

I forced the action to the lower portion of the map and brought out Praetorvite Vong Priest to hold gambit. That was a nearly game losing mistake. Ray jumped on this with Han getting a movement that I didn't see and blasted the priest with Han's first shot. Second shot he missed.. Phew.. Disaster avoided. A Hunter finished off Han and I won with an ugly but full win.

I think that game got losing out of Ray's system since he went on to win every game until the finals.

Round 2, Wes

Woot another NR matchup and a lesson learned about moving the commanders out to soon. This time all I had to deal with was Corran Horn and Cad Bane as far as major attackers. Once again I won map and by the third turn I was bringing the fight to the NR. Corran Horn went down pretty quick and it was time to move on to Cad Bane. There is one huge issue with Cad Bane for an all melee squad.. He flies. Also where the battle was taking place was a pit that he could fly around and put up a mouse wall to slow down my melee hitters.

The late game was pretty much all Wes. I tried to corral Cad but he got all the thud bug saves and I missed every key attack to bring him down. Not much to say there then Wes got it for 3.

This time for lunch we went to HannahCannon's and my regular hang out spot of Buffalo Wild Wings. I ordered my usual no wing order of Coke Zero and an order of Popcorn shrimp. Lunch was great and honestly I didnt want it to end because I was having so much fun socializing with everyone. However the tournament had to continue...

Round 3 Tim

At lunch I figured out there were two squads that I had no chance in heck against. One being Lancer the other being Tim. I again won map and elected to go with Tims because it seemed like it would be easier to create a Felucian wall on my map. My goal was to keep him out of gambit and hold my own line. That worked for about 1 turn... I did get Cad Bane late in the game dropping him for the first time this regional season in 3 games but it was a little to late to matter in the match.

Round 4

Here locally there is a player named Chris Elwell. He plays Vong and he plays them well. So well a matter of fact that it has pretty much kept me from playing OR locally because Im basically sick and tired of an auto-loss against him on a regular basis. Well this time it was my turn to dish out the abuse on OR. I honestly dont remember much on the details of this match but it was pretty simple. We both charged into the center of the map and started letting the dice fly. In the end the Vong got it to finish 2-2 with 6pts for the day. That was also good enough for a 6th place.

This was a really emotional roller coaster event for me. There were some crazy highs and some really dismal lows. I know I was basically screwed from the start with playtesting an illegal squad for a week and that didn't get me going on the right foot and that really set the tone for me emotionally for the day. I also tend to wear those emotions on my sleeve for all to see. That being said if I offended anyone yesterday I apologize. Trust me it was never my intention to offend anyone and I can can certainly say the only person I had ill feelings towards was the gal that played an illegal squad on Friday, played way out of her comfort zone by going with Vong and missed a lot of dice rolls.

Thanks to everyone for coming out. It was great having so many players for our first Regional here and the competition level was amazing! Im really looking forward to seeing everyone at GenCon and have already started planning on what to play for the jedi challenge... Maybe I should consider taking my Mando squad back from HannahCannon LOL!!

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

Last edited by audrisampson on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:56 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Big congrats to Wes! I was definitely rooting for you to win this one. :D

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next