logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Corran Bomb
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:10 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Been playing a NR Corran squad that I really like lately. Has gone 4-0 so far. Tell me what you think.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/119238/co ... chosen-one

NR 200pts
60- Corran Horn, JM
27- Lobot
23- Anakin Solo
22- R2-D2 C3po GH
18- Klatoonian Captian
18- TBSV
16- Dr. Evazan, GC
9- General Dodonna
7- Felucian

Preferred Reinforcements-
14- Ponda Baba, GC
3- Uggie (sometimes 2)
3- Mouse Droid

Gameplan- Run Felucian as far as you can into danger and get it killed. If you are facing an all melee squad, he's also good for interference because of parry. If they decide not to kill him, run him adjacent to an enemy and shoot it with the klat for splash. Corran is a great beatstick, and can run 12 with knight speed for 3 attacks. I have 1 bodyguard(and most of the time, I'll have 2 due to Ponda), which makes it that much harder to kill anything. Plus, Disruptive is nice, and the Twilek becomes a great shooter because of R23po, as well as other small time shooters. The good Dr. heals up as necessary, as well as being able to shoot for 40 due to twin, or a nicely placed auto 30. Anakin can Bomb once the felucian dies, so when that happens, I can run 8(which the 2 extra squares gives me much more seperation and better position) and Unleash hell.

Vong can give me issues, but if i face vong(like fanatics or beatstick vong), I'll bring in another twilek shooter. If I face Nom bombs, then Lobot and disruptive will be my best friend.
Kaan Bomb? I'll out activate it, so I can set up defensively against the Kaan bomb. Plus, I'll use Dr. Evazan to fix any hurts.

I'll admit the damage output can be a little low, but the commanders pack more of a punch than it shows. Plus, the anakin bomb can do a ton of damage, and Corran is amazing for cleanup.

Post subject: Re: Corran Bomb
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:38 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Low damage output and poor melee defense. It will do good against the "meta" imps and some strafes but I do not agree with the kaan bomb comment, as kaan can still take out 90% of your squads support on a bomb and can dish out enough damage with backlash and bomb to kill corran in a hurry.

Melee will be your worst enemy with this squad. Shooter squads will fall apart. As is the norm with corran horn. A few good choices for reinforcements would be greedo BH (60 damage and plant), momaw (kill your fleu for yourself fast and clear diplomat walls), figrin dan (some cover for your weaker people), and wicket (give your commanders a better shot at hitting). Having the BG can help sometimes but having a second CE nerfer, more damage output (and a planter), or an earlier bomb (possibly two in one game) can all help a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:27 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do well against the meta imps? Are you kidding? Imps pack a ton of punch with there guns. I'll wittle you down with shooting fast. Your not going to evade every single one and with paleon and double bubbles around that means no rerolls and no Anakin bomb hurting me. Try and get corran up front and I'll blow you to bits with swap next to you. Imps still outactivate because of ozzel and probably have lobot themselves so I outactivate, run up a little swap in fig who then runs 12 to base corran, corran hits with Jedi reflexes but doesn't kill him then I shoot from a bubble, win init shoot from bubble again and kill corran. Guns still are so powerful. I actually think corran is better against melee. You run in and hit, corran hits you back for 30 with JR, corran then goes and does 90 more to you while absorbing your blocks or ripostes and melee will have to run into disruptive, hurting them even more. I think this squad is better against melee than it is guns.
Just be careful not to lose your klatoonian cap. as he is immperative to you even having a chance against guns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:28 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

sthlrd2 wrote:
Do well against the meta imps? Are you kidding? Imps pack a ton of punch with there guns. I'll wittle you down with shooting fast. Your not going to evade every single one and with paleon and double bubbles around that means no rerolls and no Anakin bomb hurting me. Try and get corran up front and I'll blow you to bits with swap next to you. Imps still outactivate because of ozzel and probably have lobot themselves so I outactivate, run up a little swap in fig who then runs 12 to base corran, corran hits with Jedi reflexes but doesn't kill him then I shoot from a bubble, win init shoot from bubble again and kill corran. Guns still are so powerful. I actually think corran is better against melee. You run in and hit, corran hits you back for 30 with JR, corran then goes and does 90 more to you while absorbing your blocks or ripostes and melee will have to run into disruptive, hurting them even more. I think this squad is better against melee than it is guns.
Just be careful not to lose your klatoonian cap. as he is immperative to you even having a chance against guns.

No, I was not kidding, corran won't make every evade save, nor will he make every absorb save, but with the two he will do rather well as absorb can kick in after he fails his evade and he heals from it. The squad has a good range presence actually, and the meta imps are mostly stealth aside from there commanders (their biggest weakness as you can easily target the commanders if they push forward) and as soon as you run the bubble troopers forward and outside yusal, they get chewed up because of disruptive. If both squads are played well I can see this squad winning against the imps a good portion of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:25 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well then I guess we just disagree, cause I see the imps winning the majority of the time. I'm also guessing, what kind of playgroup you have near you plays a factor in this debate. I play with Tim a lot and I just don't see him losing to this very often if he is running one of his many imp squads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:59 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Jedi_Master wrote:
No, I was not kidding, corran won't make every evade save, nor will he make every absorb save, but with the two he will do rather well as absorb can kick in after he fails his evade and he heals from it. The squad has a good range presence actually, and the meta imps are mostly stealth aside from there commanders (their biggest weakness as you can easily target the commanders if they push forward) and as soon as you run the bubble troopers forward and outside yusal, they get chewed up because of disruptive. If both squads are played well I can see this squad winning against the imps a good portion of the time.

The problem is, that if someone is shooting from within the Ysalamari bubble, they're Force Immune, so he can't use Force Absorb. That's what tips the balance strongly in favour of the Imperial squad.

I still like the squad against a lot of other things though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:40 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The biggest issue you will face is getting into a situation where Corran's damage isnt enough. A solid third attacker will help this build a lot. The Anakin bomb is good when used as a backup. When its your main attack its too easy to kill anakin's punk butt, because he has to stay close to the action. I don't see this doing well against almost anything that has won a regoinal this year.

Mace kills corran too fast for the anakin bomb to matter
Weir squads outact and win init and pound you, they are also force immune so anakin does nothing
Revan/Kaan nuke your 40 hp support guys and Jaq lights up the rest of your squad
Rebels outact, disrupt, and take you down
Echani's take out r2 and stay away from anakin bomb
Lancer runs around corran to kill everything else

I just dont see it doing to well to be honest with you. I think if you drop anakin for an attacker the squad improves greatly. Anakin isn't going to do anything for damage outside of the bomb and there are too many ways to stop you from doing it. Even just adding dash/jag to this squad helps it. Jag/TBSV/Klat cap are all nice third string guys, Dash can actually attack stuff that runs at corran, and corran doesn't have the weight of the world on his back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:27 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Honest answers. I like it :D thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:25 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Trying to build an NR squad? Start with Ganner.

Ganner makes anything in your squad that much more dangerous.

By the way, this isn't a BAD squad - but I agree with most of what has been said on how it fairs vs the BEST squads. It's not quite there.

But - you might well beat with regularity the Mando squad that won a regional.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:28 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I try to innovate new-ish ideas, and with corran and anakin with speed 8, i didn't think Ganner was completely necessary.

I just like to try new things :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

DieAndBeMetal wrote:
I try to innovate new-ish ideas, and with corran and anakin with speed 8, i didn't think Ganner was completely necessary.

I just like to try new things :)

Nothing wrong with trying new things. I just think movement breakers are too key to overlook. And moving 8 vs moving 22 (moving 8 plus ganner levitating up to 14) is a massive difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:01 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I've been playing with Corran ideas as well - Ganner is one of my favourite pieces, and I'd like to work him in, but it does feel like Corran needs more help with Ranged defense than just Force Absorb, and that once you give him Evade, you may as well give him GMA too.

What else would you put in a squad with Corran and Ganner?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:10 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had a squad with corran, ganner, leia, winter, klatoonian cap, lobot, dodonna and a couple scrubs. Winter, cap, and corran with free evade saves it made people want to get up to you and then you smack em around and you didn't need Gma although you could bring it in with lobot I suppose. I usually put leia in front and let her get hit, then winter would swap in with decoy and can then evade the atk with free rerolls, and then shoot back with 40 damage shots. Leia actually had good survivability due to decoy and ganner could get her out of trouble. I liked bringing in dr e with lobot to heal or to levitate up to corran when he was in trouble so he would have avoid defeat with free rerolls. It did well in playtesting but played bad in chicago regional as I messed up a lot on my positioning. I did well first round almost beating Matt and his OR squad. I would have won a tight match but dice failed me at the end. After that I played like crap the rest of the tourney. I still like the squad though.