logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Delaware Regional - June 23
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:51 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

sthlrd2 wrote:
Sounds like you got some big crits when you needed them in every game. Which is the reason I don't play mace cause it just seems like you live and die by the crit. I've played mace 1 time and in one of those games mace was failing to hit anything. I was playing only for 60 but mace couldn't even hit needing 3's and 4's that's including rerolls.
The one play report where atton hit with a 19 but then failed his shieldbearer save, did he reroll that or did he fail both or did he use it to move up further. It seems like with a 40 damage hit you would want to reroll that save.

He did not reroll the save. I'm assuming he just forgot about it since by my reckoning he had enough FPs that is was worth it to try, but I can't say for sure why he didn't.

As for Mace and his crits, when he got them it was super convenient for sure, but not necessarily necessary. It made my games easier, but in the 2nd and 3rd rounds Mace wasn't even hurt when he got the crits, so he could have taken some damage and still dished some more out before going down. As for counting on him doing 60 damage consistently, that's why I like to run him with GOWK. With GOWK's ce there are only a few pieces he can't hit with just rolling 2s since the ce essentially bumps his atk up to 20.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:59 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The damage mace has on him at the time of a crit isn't as much an issue as the damage dealt out. Like against maul. If you didn't crit him to deal 80 you wouldn't have been able to surgery him and still kill him. Against someone like maul (who can take down mace in one turn) that crit was huge. One big init roll is what it would have come down to then. I try to play the odds with dice and needing 3's and 4's should hit most of the time but with my luck I had 2 out of 12 actually hit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:31 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

That's bad luck there, then. But you cannot evaluate a piece on a single streak of luck. It's not like the die says to itself, "Oh, I'm rolling for Mace here...I'll see if I can get a 2." To say "Mace always misses for me" is non-sensical. To rely on crits with Mace is foolish, but statistically-speaking, you should almost always get your 3 hits out of him (even without a CE boost).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:31 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes I agree. It was just bad luck, I'm not trying to blame the bad dice on mace, it was just part of the game. Mace isn't really my style but I did play him that one time and was playing for 60 but just kept on missing, oh well. Mace isn't really my style just cause it seems IMO anyway that you live and die by the crit. If your playing for 60 or not there always seems to be that big roll where your really hoping for the crit but when you don't get it, it puts mace in danger of dying. Which is why I was playing him with panaka, so if he does get in danger I could get him out of there fast.

Then I ran into OR and had a different stratagy, of course me missing 10 of 12 (see above post) kind of put a damper on that. When mace is missing and can't swap out due to Bastilla, he just can't withstand firepower of that magnitude.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:53 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Relying on Mace to do 60 is definitely a sound strategy, but you still need to take into account the fact that he can crit quite easily. Should you absolutely rely on the crit as a sound strategy? No. But if I'm facing Mace from across the table I'd be really wary of putting a piece too close to him that he could crit and kill. That's the other side of the equation. At the OH regional my Mace didn't crit against my opponent's Mace, but my opponent was able to take down my Mace with just 2 ripostes that were crits followed by flurries. In retrospect I really think I made an error there and should have moved Ponda Boba up to my Mace so he could be the BG. Yes Mace can be annoying to face because of the crit factor, but it's still something you can plan for, and if you fail to plan accordingly and he kills a piece via a crit, then you have no one to blame but yourself.