logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Outside the Box #9: Zam Wesell
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:49 pm 
General
General

Let us all give thanks for a new set and a new Outside the Box.

Zam is kind of a bizarre piece. She has potentially the most damaging special ability in the game (60 Dmg from 12 squares away), and potentially the highest attack for a shooter in the game (+20 Attack with no CEs!). But she costs 45 points, and will likely only do 20 damage per turn, so she's not very popular. Also, she was outclassed by Aurra Sing from the moment they were both released in Clone Strike. I still like her, and judging by how many votes she got, other people like her too. Let's see if we can make some competitive squads with her using the new support from The Force Unleashed.

Zam Wesell [45]
HP: 90
Defense: 19
Attack: +12
Damage: 20
----
Unique
Bounty Hunter +4
Kouhun Infestation
Loner
Stealth

The Outside the Box Challenge:
Try to come up with a 100 point squad that could take on Bane and 6 Ugnaughts. A 150 point squad that could take on Black and Blue (LV or JH). And a 200 point squad that could be decent at a tournament. For mine, I'm also trying to make squads that use at least one piece from The Force Unleashed.

Here are mine:

-100 points vs. Bane & 6 Ugnaughts-
Zam Wesell [45]
Golan Arms DF.9 Anti-Infantry Battery [26]
Golan Arms DF.9 Anti-Infantry Battery [26]
Ugnaught Demolitionist [3]
(100pts. - 4 Activations)

The DF.9's represent a significant challenge to Bane. 120 HP each, and no Force points, mean that it will take him at least 3 hits to kill each one. I'd recommend positioning one in Gambit, and the other one 2 squares away from the first (if possible). You don't want Bane to be able to Lightsaber Sweep and hit both of them, but you want him to have to take an attack of opportunity to squeeze between them. The DF.9's need to roll 10s to hit Bane without cover, but they get Splash damage if they miss. Splash should also help deal with Ugnaughts.

With Loner in effect, Zam needs a 4 to hit Bane in cover. She can sit back and take pot shots while he deals with either killing or getting past the DF.9's. If Bane has 60 HP left and Zam is based, it might be worth trying a Kouhun Infestation (especially if he's low on, or out of Force points). But probably you'll want to just shoot with Zam's crazy high Attack bonus all game.

-150 points vs. Black & Blue-
Zam Wesell [45]
PROXY [41]
Grand Admiral Thrawn [37]
Mas Amedda [8]
Probe Droid [8]
Scout Trooper [8]
[150pts. 7 Activations]

I kind of cheated on this one. You probably shouldn't play PROXY unless you have someone good for him to copy in your own squad. But with this, I know I'm facing Black & Blue, so I can copy Vader. Try to keep PROXY hidden until he can pull off the copy, because his default stats stink and he'll get chewed up by Stormtrooper fire. Go ahead and copy Mas Amedda at first for a little boost to defense. Thrawn and the Probe Droid help with initiative control. Keep Zam in Thrawn's bubble so that Vader can't Deflect her shots. When Vader gets within 12, Kouhun Infestation with Force Immunity comes into effect. You should hit with it 50% of the time, so you're averaging 30 damage per round instead of 20 with her attack. PROXY can stand up to Vader for a little while with good stats--and with a Lightsaber, he gets to ignore Dark Armor when he attacks. The Scout Trooper's Stealth should give it a little boost against opposing Stormtroopers.

-200 pts. Tournament Quality-
Master Kota [55]
Zam Wesell [45]
Prince Xizor [40]
Dannik Jerriko [23]
Lando Calrissian, Dashing Scoundrel [18]
Mas Amedda [8]
Wicket [8]
(200 pts. - 8 activations)

Just a little abuse of Kota's CE. Now Zam can Accurate Shot at +23 Attack. Dannik Jerriko should be decent with the boosts from Xizor and Kota. If he gets his Cunning Attack off (which is usually easy with Accurate Shot) he's attacking at +16 Attack. When he gets hurt, charge an Ugnaught and Drain Life Energy back to full health. Lando's even better than normal with the bonus, and who could turn down an Accurate shooting high-defense Wicket? As always, play Xizor aggressively. He's a pain to kill when he's in someone's face with his Pheromones. I'd keep Kota back and save up Force points for a while. Force Repulse 5 is a game-winning move when you're ready to unleash it.

Please take the challenge and post your squads! It's all about exercising your squad-building creativity.

What I learned this week:
Kouhun Infestation might actually be useful with Force Immunity. I never thought of that. What else can I exploit Force Immunity for? Grenades, Missiles, Pheromones... Hmm...

I welcome any feedback on the Outside the Box posts or my squads. I'm also taking suggestions for next time.

Here are some other characters I'm considering if you just want to vote for one of these:
[2 Votes] Kyle Katarn (New Republic)
[1 Vote] Darth Maul on Speeder (Separatists)
[1 Vote] HK-47 (Fringe)
[1 Vote] Warmaster Tsavong Lah (Yuuzhan Vong)
[0 Votes for the rest, so far]
Aayla Secura (Republic)
Ki-Adi-Mundi (Republic)
Mace Windu, Jedi Master (Republic)
Asajj Ventress (Separatists)
Grievous [anything but Supreme Commander] (Separatists)
Jabba the Hutt (Fringe)
Guri (Fringe)
Anyone else you want to try to make competitive.

Outside the Box #1: Biggs Darklighter
Outside the Box #2: Darth Vader, Champion of the Sith
Outside the Box #3: Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master
Outside the Box #4: Darth Malak
Outside the Box #5: Anakin Skywalker, Sith Apprentice
Outside the Box #6: Obi-Wan on Boga
Outside the Box #7: Bastila Shan
Outside the Box #8: Corran Horn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:10 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Zam can actually attack at the equivalent of a +27 when Wicket is within 6 square of her target.
Technicality man strikes again!

She's a good piece, just about 10 points overcosted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:50 am 
General
General

No mention of putting her in a Nom Bomb? Jedi hate could do well these days. Kohoun anything that doesn't have FP (or use it to diminish FP) and BH named jedi.

Last edited by Menoths Fire on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:52 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I dig the immunity with infest; that may be the only way to win with her in 150. Replaces turn makes that such a difficult decision against force users.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!