logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Knights of the New Republic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:28 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I really loved my squad yesterday for Kokomo. It finished 3-2 and I think it was just on the edge of being something really special. I would love to get it over the hump and make it into a finished machine. Here is the squad.

Map: Rhen Var
1x Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi
1x Han Solo, Galatic Hero
1x General Wedge Antilles
1x Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
1x R2/C3PO
1x Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
2x Uggie
1x R7

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

Post subject: Re: Knights of the New Republic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:45 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

9 activations and no Dodonna? That'll make for a tough matchup against several squads...especially when you only have 2 main attackers. Wedge's Twin Accurate shot is nice, but it's not going to be a reliable big-damage source, and double-disruptive and double-saves makes for good defense.

Sorry for the obvious suggestion, but I think dropping Luke FS for Dodonna is a must if you really want to see this squad shine. Luke's rerolls are great for Jaina vs Mace and other melee-heavy squads, but if you face any shooter-heavy squads at all, Jaina's gonna get pasted and those 10 pts spent on Luke will be wasted. Besides, you've already got the rerolls from Leia's CE.

I really enjoy playing NR...it's just a matter of finding which pieces mix together the best. (They're a pile of fun in 500, where you have room for more!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Personally, I've always been disappointed in Han Galactic Hero. He just isn't beefy enough for his Disruptive to really do you any good, and the maximum 60 damage at a +13 wasn't even really adequate before the V-sets.

So I was playing around with this, and here's what I came up with:

56 Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi
29 Ganner Rhysode
29 Winter
25 Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
23 General Wedge Antilles
22 R2-D2 and C-3PO, Galactic Heroes
8 R7 Astromech Droid
5 Salacious Crumb
3 Mouse Droid

(200pts. 9 activations)

So you lose Han and Luke, FS, for Ganner and Winter (yes, still only 9 acts without Dodonna--there's a little wiggle room at the back end, though). If I were building this squad for me, I would probably also lose Wedge, but I get the feeling you kind of like having Evade/Parry/Deflect on Jaina with rerolls, so I left him in there. Winter gives you additional door control (letting you lose the two ugnaughts) and could help keep Leia alive. At her cost, she's also a reasonably good attacker. The option to lob Jaina in and out of danger via Ganner should increase her life expectancy, as well.

I don't know if this is really the style you were thinking about, but that's my suggestion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:44 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Both my disruptive pieces really left me feeling blah but they were the reason I won my last two rounds. As far as Dodonna I wanted to add him but I couldn't get the points to work out to add him.

Winter is a really interesting option that I will have to look into :)

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:16 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

After playing winter before and in the Chicago regional and Tim telling me he was never sold on winter but I play her extremly well (minus a few matches). Winter is interesting but better with the klat cap I think. My real problem with her is her plus to hit. You can get +20 damage due to protective easy enough but that +10 to atk is just not good enough to hit consistently and there is no good way to get that higher. I like winter but just can't hit enough with her IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:22 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

sthlrd2 wrote:
After playing winter before and in the Chicago regional and Tim telling me he was never sold on winter but I play her extremly well (minus a few matches). Winter is interesting but better with the klat cap I think. My real problem with her is her plus to hit. You can get +20 damage due to protective easy enough but that +10 to atk is just not good enough to hit consistently and there is no good way to get that higher. I like winter but just can't hit enough with her IMO.

So she has the same problems as Han, GH without the disruptive... Saturday was my first time playing NR since I came back to Minis so I'm still learning my Vset figs.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:32 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

sthlrd2 wrote:

You don't like Jagged Fel giving her Gregarious? He's a pretty good 10 points in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:56 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'll admit, I did forget all about jagged fel.
The thing with Han that everyone here is overlooking is the fact that he has never tell me the odds and with master tactician or lobot in a seps squad to bring in the mtb is no small matter. An imp player will sometimes get so used to always winning init that they can often make mistakes due to thinking they can strike first.

With his accurate shot he can pick of r2 or a smaller important piece. Han is harder to use, at 50 pnts he is not a hitter till the end. He just screws things up for people weather it be through an accurate threat to take out r2, lobot, or other minor important piece, or disruptive, or never tell me the odds. He is support fire for your big hitter with lots of tricks to screw with the other squad. Just look at the way Deri ran solo charge. Han stayed in the back and gave the threat that you can never expose a key piece like r2 or it will die taking out smaller pieces while your big hitter goes in and starts fighting. If your big hitter has them held down a little then bring him up to disrupt but not if there is danger to losing Han.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:31 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

When building a competitive 200pt NR squad - you have 162 points to work with.

Dodanna (9pts)
and
Ganner (29pts) are auto-includes.

I firmly believe this and until I see a squad that can compete with the highest levels, I will stand by it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:

Dodanna (9pts)
and

I firmly believe this and until I see a squad that can compete with the highest levels, I will stand by it.

Eh. The squad I played in Owensboro didn't include Ganner, and I absolutely believe it's a top tier squad (I got 3rd place after a close game against Graham in the semis). I have a version of it that does include Ganner which might be better, but the non-Ganner version is absolutely competitive.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Dodanna (9pts)
and

Eh. The squad I played in Owensboro didn't include Ganner, and I absolutely believe it's a top tier squad (I got 3rd place after a close game against Graham in the semis). I have a version of it that does include Ganner which might be better, but the non-Ganner version is absolutely competitive.

Actually - I did think about mentioning your squad specifically as the closest I have seen.

Regardless - at the very least - you must STRONGLY consider Ganner in every NR squad, and only not include him in the rarest of circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

What had happened is I ran out of space and well I don't own a Dodonna or Ganner. Should be getting them from Sven in the next day or so, so Ill be looking into what I can do with them :)

The other goal for my Kokomo squad was to be different. I didn't want anyone to look at it and say well there's that again..

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:19 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I think Leia just should not be played in competitive squads. Combining her with Artoopio is pretty clever, but you are better served by not getting shot at than by spending 12.5% of your squad on someone with very little fighting prowess and a CE that skilled opponents can work around without too much difficulty. She also makes your squad really inefficient. You're spending 23 points on Wedge and he only really benefits Jaina. Han already has everything Wedge offers (not like that!) and Leia doesn't get any of it. I guess you get that sweet twin accurate shot, but Wedge misses most every shot he takes anyway.

If you really want to keep the whole Jaina-Wedge-Leia thing going, what about something like this:

--Skywalker Melange--
56 Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi
33 Jacen Solo, Jedi Knight
16 Dr. Evazan, Galactic Criminal
10 Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

That gives you another nasty parry-evade attacker that you can haunt if you feel as though you're really going to need lightning, as well as an even better version of Hinkbert's Dr. E tech. Imagine someone finally getting 20 damage past Jaina's wall of denial and then Dr. E just runs up and wipes it away. That'd be a total bummer. You also get to reroll avoid defeat saves! The only tricky things are that Jacen is a much less nasty attacker than Han and if Artoopio dies you need to get Leia out there to spread the CE and probably get her killed shortly thereafter.

This would own Mace squads utterly, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:16 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally I think that if you run leia, then you should run winter. Winter will make leia a better atacker with synergy and provide a kind of escape route for leia with decoy. The way I ran it unless I made a mistake is I had leia up front a little ways, (always in cover) spreading her love. Shortly behind was winter based to dr e. leia would take damage usually 40 with all the twin going around today. Next atk I would swap in winter. I can now heal 30 from leia with dr e since he is now based to her. Winter can then shoot twice for 40 each. If enemy's start getting in your face you can throw with leia much more effectivly due to synergy and spread the damage around between leia and winter with decoy. If someone starts getting dangerously low on health either push the enemy away from her with ganner or levitate her to safety or get dr e next to them for some healing and emergency life support action. It's not an easy squad to run but there is a lot of synergy going on and a few different options to keep people alive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:54 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Have you seen Echo's Synergy Like A Boss squad - it does well at efficiently squeezing lots of use out of Leia and R2/3PO:

--Promote Synergy (Like a Boss)--
33 Jacen Solo, Jedi Knight
29 Winter
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
10 Jagged Fel
10 Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
9 General Dodonna
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(199pts. 14 activations)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:40 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Looking over everyone's messages I felt like I had to get away from the Evade/Parry fun to make this squad have a bit more punch. I thought that going with some more traditional NR powerhouse pieces might be the way to go.. This is what I came up with.

Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Mara Jade, Jedi
General Wedge Antilles
Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
General Dodonna
R7 x2
Uggie x3
Mouse Droid.

This gives me two serious attackers that can get anywhere they want with Levitation. Keeping the Evade to keep shooters from tearing me apart and adding Dodonna so I have some activation control.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:04 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Since Mara and Ganner already have Stealth, unless you're anticipating a lot of Accurate Shot, you're probably better off without Wedge.

Personally, I'd drop Wedge, Jaina, and Luke FS, and bring in Han Galactic Hero and Anakin Solo - it means you get Disruptive, which I think is generally a must in most New Republic squads, and Anakin has a lot of damage output if he gets to use his Unleash The Force.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:46 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

TheHutts wrote:
Since Mara and Ganner already have Stealth, unless you're anticipating a lot of Accurate Shot, you're probably better off without Wedge.

Personally, I'd drop Wedge, Jaina, and Luke FS, and bring in Han Galactic Hero and Anakin Solo - it means you get Disruptive, which I think is generally a must in most New Republic squads, and Anakin has a lot of damage output if he gets to use his Unleash The Force.

Hmm that does free up a lot of space. It also allowed me to add a Lobot. Ill have to give this some playtesting and see if it works out.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

audrisampson wrote:
Hmm that does free up a lot of space. It also allowed me to add a Lobot. Ill have to give this some playtesting and see if it works out.

It's called Solo Charge - it won a bunch of Regionals in 2010 and 2011, but hasn't been seen much this year. I'm not entirely sure if people haven't been using it because it was overdone last year, or because meta changes have made it less effective; someone else must know.

Normally it also has Gha Nacht with the option to bring in 10 Mouse Droids to guarantee an activation advantage too - although I don't do that as I don't have 10 Mouse Droids! The Ganner/Mara/Anakin combination is really strong - Ganner lobs Mara in, Mara kills something important, and if you don't want Mara to keep killing things, you have to kill her. Once you kill Mara, Ganner can lob Anakin in to Unleash the Force.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TheHutts wrote:
audrisampson wrote:

It's called Solo Charge - it won a bunch of Regionals in 2010 and 2011, but hasn't been seen much this year. I'm not entirely sure if people haven't been using it because it was overdone last year, or because meta changes have made it less effective; someone else must know.

I played Solo Charge in the GenCon Championship last year too, and so did Trevor (I lost to him in the mirror in round 1 and he wound up in 8th after Swiss, I was 15th). I don't think it's been played more than once or twice at all this year, and I haven't played it myself, but I see no reason for it not to be an incredibly strong squad still.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino